ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

990FX K1ller AM3+ not working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote majp89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 990FX K1ller AM3+ not working
    Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 9:58am
Hello,

On June 17th I received my brand new ASRock 990FX AM3+ board. Paired with it was an AMD 8320 and G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB of DDR31600 RAM. I already owned an R9280x. My PSU is a Corsair 750W. Anyways, it was all working fine and dandy until yesterday. I pressed the power button on my computer and I heard my CPU and case fans spin for about one second and then just shut off. So I went to the store and replaced my old Thermaltake with said new Corsair (old Thermaltake was an 850W.) I plugged it in, and got fans to spin including the CPU fan, but no POST and the fans are spinning at a very, very low RPM. They're so quiet you can't even hear them. No video signal, nothing.

I tested the Corsair before I put it in on a working desktop, so I know it is not the Power Supply. I haven't tested the R9 280x in another PC, but the PC would still boot up with higher RPM spinning fans even if that were the case. The computer never shuts off, it's just that none of my fans spin fast at all and it doesn't really do anything, so I am suspecting my motherboard may be dead. Do any of you have any suggestions?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 11:53am
It sounds like the old PSU died on you. Try clearing CMOS and reseating everything on the board. Test whatever components you can on another system and see if the fault is the motherboard. 

Sorry to hear about the bad luck Unhappy
majp89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote majp89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 8:16pm
I took every single thing out of the board and put it back in, including the heatsink/CPU. Took the CMOS battery out for at least ten minutes (I know you're only supposed to for 30 seconds but I wanted to be sure,) put the RAM in different slots, hooked everything back up, same thing. So discouraging.

I have it here at work and have two spare PSUs at work so I'm going to give them a shot. If these PSUs don't work (they're brand new 850W) I am going to say the motherboard is the culprit based on the symptoms. Something doesn't seem right. 
Johnnymaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnymaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 6:36pm
Hello,

I also had an issue with failed to POST. The problem was - check again, if your GPU is perfectly in the PCIE slot!

It could loosen a bit, in which case, you will not get POST at all. PSU would NOT run the PC if there is a problem. In case of its strained too hard, then you would hear clicky sound (relay) and then it would die off, until the relay is cool enough to go again.

Also sometimes the RAM are the issue, but for me, its was the GPU :]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic