ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme6+ 6700K Hyper Threading OC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdOz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme6+ 6700K Hyper Threading OC
    Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 8:23pm
I'm new to OC'ing and I have been playing around with the options on the UEFI to ensure I get it setup according to my needs. 

I do quite a bit of gaming but I also do some video editing on the side. I bumped the CPU to 4.4 (won't post up at 4.6 since I got the new BIOS for some reason but that's another issue altogether I think) and noticed that once I did that, the UEFI no longer gives me the option to enable "Multi Core Enhancement", in fact the whole thing disappears. 

Now, because I couldn't find any mention of it anywhere, I'm assuming 'Multi Core Enhancement' is another name for Hyper Threading, is that right? Also, since it disappears when I use even their stock OC option, does this meant Hyper Threading is ALWAYS on or NEVER ON? 

I'm seriously hoping it is not a case of either OC or HT as that would really suck... Hope Intel didn't that to what it is supposed to be it's top of the line Skylake CPU!

If anyone can shed some light on this I would really appreciate!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 10:03pm
No, MCE is not hyperthreading. It is basically an option that enables the CPU to run at a higher base frequency when using all cores. So if the CPU has a base clock of 4.0ghz (6700k) it would typically run at this speed when all 4 cores are active. If less than 4 cores are in use this is raised to say 4.1ghz etc. MCE allows the system to run at a higher performance band, basically tricking the system into thinking less cores are in use than there actually are. If you are overclocking this is completely moot as that will override intel's turbo system anyway. 

In essence you are not losing anything with MCE absent/disabled unless you are running at stock.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by EdOz EdOz wrote:

I'm new to OC'ing and I have been playing around with the options on the UEFI to ensure I get it setup according to my needs. 

I do quite a bit of gaming but I also do some video editing on the side. I bumped the CPU to 4.4 (won't post up at 4.6 since I got the new BIOS for some reason but that's another issue altogether I think) and noticed that once I did that, the UEFI no longer gives me the option to enable "Multi Core Enhancement", in fact the whole thing disappears. 

Now, because I couldn't find any mention of it anywhere, I'm assuming 'Multi Core Enhancement' is another name for Hyper Threading, is that right? Also, since it disappears when I use even their stock OC option, does this meant Hyper Threading is ALWAYS on or NEVER ON? 

I'm seriously hoping it is not a case of either OC or HT as that would really suck... Hope Intel didn't that to what it is supposed to be it's top of the line Skylake CPU!

If anyone can shed some light on this I would really appreciate!

As soon as you change the CPU Ratio using the Per Core or All Core setting, the Multi Core Enhancement option will disappear, that is normal.

That option serves no purpose once you OC. As Xaltar said, MCE is a simple performance tweak to the stock CPU settings. MCE is not an Intel feature, which they apparently don't worry about, in contrast to other types of over clocking features.

Hyper Threading, if a CPU has that feature, is enabled by default. You can enable/disable it in the Advanced, CPU Configuration screen. Some extreme over clocks apparently work better when it is disabled, but that is all about reaching an OC number, not actual CPU performance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic