ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

990FX Extream9 Shuts Down

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay7981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 990FX Extream9 Shuts Down
    Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 10:51am
Hello All, 
I just purchased this 990FX to upgrade from a gigabyte 990fx ud3 MB, my rig is as follows .. 

PROC: AMD FX8350 Black
MEM: GSKILL 1600 8GB x4
VID: Sapphire AMD R9 270x 2GB x2
HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
Cooler: Corsair H80i all in one water Cooler
PSU: Corsair HX850i 850 Watt
ODD: Sony DL DVD RW SATA
MB: ASROCK 990FX Extream9 (bios 1.80)
The Issue:
As stated this system was up and running fine with the gigabyte board with all above hardware running windows 7pro 64bit. I replaced the mb and powered up the system, the mb posted and began booting into windows displaying the pulsing windows logo after a few seconds the system simply powered off. I pressed the power button to turn it back on and the system did not do anything. I then switched off the power supply and held the power button down for 5 seconds to fade the flea power out, then switched the power back on to the power supply and pressed the power button again and the system booted just fine displaying the windows safe mode menu. I selected the safe mode with networking option so that i could take a look in the logs and see why it powered down. Windows did in fact boot all the way to the desktop via safe mode but the logs showed no errors as to why it shutdown. Figureing that it was just a fluke i restarted to normal boot and POOF it did it again ... and again .. and about 10 more times before i gave up. So in order to figure some things out i removed 1 video card and tried again .. same result. I then removed the harddrive and inserted a windows install usb and tried to boot to that .. same result ... the only thing i can get to boot fully is windows safe mode. Thinking that it was some weird issue with the fact that i swapped MBs on the OS currupting something i formatted and removed all partitions of the SSD and tried to install a fresh copy of windows ... FAIL! i cannot get the install to boot. i even tried the bios internet flash thinking that maybe it was a bios issue (telling myself no this could not be the reason since safe mode  boots ..) it reported that the bios was upto date. so i removed all but 1 stick of memory and rebooted moving the memory stick into each slot with each attempt failing .. i then tried 2 sticks skipping a slot each rotation and still every attempt fails. i have ruled out video, memory, hdd, i cant for the life of me figure this out ... it has to be some wierd bios settings in this MB that needs adjusted i just cant figure it out please help!!

NOTE:
DR Debug also does not show any errors.

Edited by jay7981 - 24 Oct 2016 at 11:31am
To be or not to be...
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by jay7981 jay7981 wrote:

..... so i removed all but 1 stick of memory and rebooted moving the memory stick into each slot with each attempt failing .. i then tried 2 sticks skipping a slot each rotation and still every attempt fails. i have ruled out video, memory, hdd, i cant for the life of me figure this out

The above needs some 'splaining??

Does your memory fail the testing you did?? Or have you ruled out this being related to your memory?

Also, ""MEM: GSKILL 1600 8GB x4" ? What is the G.Skill Kit part number you have there?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic