ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is X99E-ITX/ac compatible with windows 10?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is X99E-ITX/ac compatible with windows 10?
    Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 2:54am
Hi,

I think X99E-ITX/ac should be compatible with windows 10 but is not displayed in the product page:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99E-ITXac/?cat=Specifications
Does anyone knows if it will be full compatible with windows 10?

By the way, did someone test this motherboard with Linux? I would like to have a partition with Linux as well.

Thanks,
Tasio.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 2:58am
I don't have am X99 board to try with linux so I am afraid I can't help there but the windows 10 issue I am sure it will be yes. I am certain all the intel 9 chipset series boards will have full windows 10 support and am fairly sure that will extend back to the 8 and 7 series chipsets as well.

Welcome to the forums Smile
tasio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:01am
Thanks for the quick answer Smile
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:18am
Just wanted to add about windows 10. 

The kernel of win 10 is close to windows 8.  I do not have any problems with win 10 on a Z97 and I don't see any people with problems on a X99.  

There probably won't be a BIOS / UEFI update with windows 10 like with windows 8. Motherboards that were designed for windows 7, had a problem with win 8 and they needed a BIOS / UEFI update.

This shouldn't be the case with win 10.  

I can also tell you that the ASrock motherboards that were approved by windows for win 10 do NOT have a BIOS / UEFI update. 
asrocking
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:34am
Thanks for the clarification Odiebugs. My info came from Asrock's facebook page but it lacked the info about the kernel Smile
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by tasio tasio wrote:

Hi,

I think X99E-ITX/ac should be compatible with windows 10 but is not displayed in the product page:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99E-ITXac/?cat=Specifications
Does anyone knows if it will be full compatible with windows 10?

By the way, did someone test this motherboard with Linux? I would like to have a partition with Linux as well.

Thanks,
Tasio.

Windows 10 is not yet officially released. Once it is, I'm sure you will find it listed as a supported OS on your board's information and download pages. Intel is starting to provide some Windows 10 compatible drivers like their network chip drivers (that still don't work right with teaming...) and others will be coming soon.

I've been running Windows 10 TP on Z97 and Z87 chipset boards, and in general it works fine. Older hardware/chipset boards are the ones that would have questionable support for Windows 10.

You'll also see that Linux is not listed among the supported OSs. "Linux" is not officially supported for many reasons. Sorry, I'm not aiming this response at you personally, but just at the general question about Linux support.

"Linux" is a generic term for the many "flavors" of the Linux style operating systems. If a manufacture states they support "Linux", then they are responsible for all the existing and potentially new versions. Truly supporting all those versions is very difficult, if not impossible, without special BIOS/UEFI versions and providing driver support. Just thinking about attempting to do that scares me, I can't blame mother board manufactures for not supporting Linux.

If that sounds unfair or unreasonable, consider how many Linux compatible drivers does Intel provide for their chipsets, etc? Yes Intel provides some graphics drivers for Linux, but even then it's not that simple. Intel does not provide Linux driver support to the extent they do for Windows. If the manufacture of the hardware does not provide driver support, how can someone that buys that hardware from Intel (ie, mother board manufactures) provide that support?

"Linux" is not a plug and play OS like Windows is. If you are doing Linux right, you will be compiling at least some of your own drivers taken from various sources. A Linux user/installer really needs to know what they are doing in order to install the drivers they need, if that can even be done for every AMD and Intel chipset.
Jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 1:06pm
Also note that ASRock has started listing Windows 10 drivers for this motherboard.  Not all drivers have a Windows 10-compatible version yet but surely ASRock will get to the rest soon.

I hope ASRock is able to work out the Broadcom wifi issue for Windows 10 (and they should figure it out for Windows 7 and 8, too).

Edit:
For further reading, here's another thread related to the X99E-ITX/AC and Broadcom wifi issues I had.

Edited by Jon - 13 Jul 2015 at 1:11pm
ASRock X99E-ITX/ac | Intel i7-5820K | ASUS GTX 970 mini | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Crucial Ballistix (2x8GB) | Corsair CX600M | CoolerMaster Seidon 120V | CoolerMaster Elite 110 | Windows 10 64-bit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic