ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99M Killer SM951 boot issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcannon83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99M Killer SM951 boot issues
    Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 2:41am
First post, Whoop! 

I am currently having difficult in using my sm951(256gb) as a boot drive, I managed to install windows to it by f11 on start up and choosing UEFI boot - CD, It installed fine and on reboot, went back to the install windows screen. I have checked bios to see if the sm951 is in the boot device list, and it its not.

BIOS version is x99m Killer p1.60.

In the system browser it shows the device as ahci. 

Please tell me where I am going wrong!
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 2:53am
Originally posted by Jcannon83 Jcannon83 wrote:

First post, Whoop! 

I am currently having difficult in using my sm951(256gb) as a boot drive, I managed to install windows to it by f11 on start up and choosing UEFI boot - CD, It installed fine and on reboot, went back to the install windows screen. I have checked bios to see if the sm951 is in the boot device list, and it its not.

BIOS version is x99m Killer p1.60.

In the system browser it shows the device as ahci. 

Please tell me where I am going wrong!
My bad, didn't notice your not the OP.

Edited by odiebugs - 09 Jul 2015 at 2:59am
asrocking
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 2:55am
Yes, the SM951 is AHCI though in order to use it as a boot device on the x99m Killer you will need to update to the latest bios revision, the support was added in 1.80 but you may as well update to 1.90 as it is available. There is no need to update to each revision in turn (if you already know this that's great) as each new revision contains all previous updates so you only need to flash to the latest version. 

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the new build Smile
Jcannon83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcannon83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 2:59am
I have the Fatality X99m killer, Thats what it states on the manual at least. 

Been trying to follow a few guides online but getting rather confused. 

Is it possible to update bios from bios via a usb drive?
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:01am

I have the Fatality X99m killer, Thats what it states on the manual at least. 

Been trying to follow a few guides online but getting rather confused. 

Is it possible to update bios from bios via a usb drive?
Follow what Xaltar said and update to 1.80 as it has improved M.2.

Yes, I have never had a problem with the instant flash load placed on a flash drive in a USB 2.0.

There are the Instant flash, DOS, Windows loads for your mobo.

Instant flash extracted  and placed on a flash drive,  in a USB port 2.0, enter UEFI and go to Instant flash and you'll see the 1.80.

Edited by odiebugs - 09 Jul 2015 at 3:04am
asrocking
Jcannon83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcannon83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:03am
And just to clarify as the version here says 1.10....

Is this the one I want ?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20X99M%20Killer3.1/?cat=Download&os=BIOS
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:06am

And just to clarify as the version here says 1.10....

Is this the one I want ?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20X99M%20Killer3.1/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I thought you were the original poster.  You want the 1.80. 

Very sorry, didn't mean to make a mess of this.

You have the X99M Killer-  your UEFI is the 1.80 or 1.90, I would use the newest 1.90 if this was me. 

My personal preference, but you don't need the 1.90, but you should use the 1.80 at least.  

Edited by odiebugs - 09 Jul 2015 at 3:09am
asrocking
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:08am
No, that is for the X99M Killer/3.1, the 3.1 is a new revision of the board and has had several changes made. If you have the non 3.1 version you could damage your board by using it's bios Wink

You want this page which is the non 3.1 version. I am fairly confident this is your board because if you had the 3.1 revision you would have not needed a bios update to make the SM951 bootable.
Jcannon83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcannon83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:08am
hehe, Ive made to many mistakes by jumping the gun, glad I asked!

So this list... 
http://www.asrock.com/support/download.asp?cat=BIOS

I want the Fatal1ty X99 Professional 1.80 version?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:11am
You need to be sure what motherboard you have. Download and install CPUz and check what it says under the motherboard tab, then, navigate to the same board on the Asrock site, go to the downloads section and select bios. Once there download and update to the newest one on the list.

I hope this is a little clearer Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic