ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

unusual crashing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadkkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 11:01pm
So my PSU is a Thermaltake PurePower 680W, not 850 after all.

I don't see a manufacturing date on it, but I know it's been around a while.

If the output of these does drop over time, I'm wondering if I'm underpowered. The new video card actually uses less power than my previous one and the calculators I've used online say my consumption should be around 500W with all my drives and fans included.

Any thoughts on this? I really don't want to buy another PSU if I don't have to.
sadkkf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadkkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by sadkkf sadkkf wrote:

Still, I was monitoring the power usage and it *never* went over 300 watts. Could this mean it's just not giving enough power?

Well, depends. How may rails, as the older ones seemed to have 2-4 separate rails. T'was the "thing back yonder.

If a PCIe rail, if there is in fact one on the PSU and not one large rail to tap from, if that rail is weak or isn't simply providing the output your GC needs/requires, then yes.

Overall draw is one thing, but the kicker is is if it's a multi rail and this particular rail feeding the GC that just wasn't up to powering the new hungry 390 in the first place. Then you'll have issues. This particular issue yuu have now, well, can't say.

Yet with this new system, X99 and 390, you want to consider an older PSU being sub-par and look at it from that vantage point. I am, that's why I asked of the PSU.

Well, I have new RAM on the way to eliminate that possibility. I could probably borrow a larger/newer PSU to test this for a while.

It's funny. I built this new system thinking I could get away with using existing parts, but I've been slowly replacing everything as issues arise. Lesson learned, I guess.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 11:50pm
You're underpowered.

Borrow one to test with if it's possible, but you are underpowered now nonetheless.

PSU Requirements for graphic cards:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
sadkkf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadkkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 12:16am

You're underpowered.

Borrow one to test with if it's possible, but you are underpowered now nonetheless.

PSU Requirements for graphic cards:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Yeah, I guess, but this new card actually uses less power than the old one.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 3:46am

You are underpowered atm. That itself lead to many many possible errors. Yours included among them

My old Sig used to read "Consider the PSU to be the foundation of your computer. Anything built upon it is only as sturdy as the PSU."

I'm sorry if you said earlier. was the previous GC a Radeon  too?
sadkkf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadkkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 7:17am

You are underpowered atm. That itself lead to many many possible errors. Yours included among them

My old Sig used to read "Consider the PSU to be the foundation of your computer. Anything built upon it is only as sturdy as the PSU."

I'm sorry if you said earlier. was the previous GC a Radeon  too?

I'm looking at new PSU's. A friend may have one I can borrow to test. The new RAM arrived, too, so hopefully this weekend I can rebuild.

My original GC was an Nvidia. EVGA I think. Nice card, but not enough memory.

Edited by sadkkf - 10 Nov 2016 at 7:21am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 7:38am

My original GC was an Nvidia.

Have you tried using DDU to uninstall any leftover bits of the nVidia card? I still stand on you're underpowered yet some of what you describe leaves me scratching my head if all leftover bits from the previews driver maybe causing some of this. Your current PSU might be strain(ed)(ing) to keep up but I'm just left with that nagging feeling it, the PSU, isn't all of what's happening there.

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/
sadkkf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadkkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 2:43am
Today I installed new RAM from the compatibility list and a new PSU...a Corsair 850W unit.

Plugged everything in and booted to the DVD drive to reinstall windows and get an error...

"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer...status: 0xc00000ec"

The computer boots fine, I press a key to boot to the DVD drive and windows starts installing files. The progress bar is at maybe 10% when I hear the drive really spin up for a few seconds, then I get the error.

I rechecked ALL the cables and everything is snug. I see all my drives in the BIOS and all the new RAM.

WTF?

Edited by sadkkf - 13 Nov 2016 at 4:24am
sadkkf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadkkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:21pm
I was *finally* able to get this working by replacing my optical drive.

So officially I have replaced absolutely everything in the is PC except the case.

Again, thank you *everyone* for helping me troubleshoot this.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:33pm

I was *finally* able to get this working by replacing my optical drive.

Huh? Say what? The optical drive? Ouch

It sux on days where it comes down to the LAST frigging thing before things start working as they should.

I feel for ya. I do.

The "bright' side(used loosely here I'll add) is you have a functional system now.

Enjoy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic