ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

unusual crashing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadkkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: unusual crashing
    Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 1:49am
Hi--

Just installed a new X99 Extreme4 board with Windows 7 Pro and I'm getting some unusual crashes.

I boot and may not touch the PC for a few minutes, then it blue screens and reboots. On reboot, it give me a Disk Read Error.

I've changed *all* the drives in the PC with new ones. Right now, I'm booting to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD and have a couple of traditional WD HDD's, but those aren't bootable.

The BIOS says I'm using the SSD as the bootable device and I'm using the newest BIOS.

I ran MemTest86 and found no errors. Really not sure what else to look for.

Any ideas? Please help!

Thank you!
sadkkf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadkkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 1:53am
I should also mention I had this problem *before* replacing the drives. At that time, I was booting to a traditional HDD. I'm pretty sure the drives are fine.

My complete specs:

X99 Extreme4
BIOS v3.40
Samsung 850 EVO SSD (boot drive)
Windows 7 Pro
G.SKILL TridentZ 288-pin SDRAM DDR4 3000 Model F4-3000C14Q-32GTZ (4x8GB)
MSI Radeon R9 390 Gaming 8GB PCI Express 3
Intel i7-5820K

NOTHING is OC'd.

I appreciate any suggestions and advice.

Edited by sadkkf - 06 Nov 2016 at 3:18am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 1:06pm
I don't see you state a new OS install after switching motherboards.

??
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 2:10pm
A fresh OS install, as Wardog mentioned, is always prudent on a new system but seeing as you have a new boot drive I am guessing you already did that?

When you replaced the drives did you also replace SATA cables? Bad SATA cables can cause the issues you are having.
sadkkf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadkkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 9:20pm
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I did a clean install of Windows with the new drive. Also swapped out the SATA cable on the boot drive. No change.

Does it matter where it's connected? Right now it's plugged into SATA3_0.

I also double-checked the BIOS and AHCI is enabled; the boot drive is set to SSD.

Can anyone confirm the RAM I have actually is compatible with the board?

Also, HDD S.M.A.R.T. is active. Is this okay?

Edited by sadkkf - 06 Nov 2016 at 9:34pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by sadkkf sadkkf wrote:

Any anyone confirm the RAM I have actually is compatible with the board?

X99 boards a very finicky concerning memory. Did they boot the first time you cleared the BIOS and tried booting at their JEDEC default?

G.Skill doesn't list any mems above 2666 for this board.
http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2276&model=2297
That's not to say they won't work, just that G.Skill themselves hasn't tested/qualified those sticks on it. Hitting 3000 on a stock X99 non-OC'd board is a steep steep hill to be asking of it and your processor and that's why I asked if they will initially boot from a cleared BIOS at JEDEC. Heck, hitting 3000 on an OC'd one would prove hard to do.

Have the mem in the correct slots? Can you even get into the BIOS?

Originally posted by sadkkf sadkkf wrote:

Also, HDD S.M.A.R.T. is active. Is this okay?

No problem that I know of. That's how I set all mine up when they leave here.
sadkkf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadkkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

X99 boards a very finicky concerning memory. Did they boot the first time you cleared the BIOS and tried booting at their JEDEC default?

G.Skill doesn't list any mems above 2666 for this board.
http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2276&model=2297
That's not to say they won't work, just that G.Skill themselves hasn't tested/qualified those sticks on it. Hitting 3000 on a stock X99 non-OC'd board is a steep steep hill to be asking of it and your processor and that's why I asked if they will initially boot from a cleared BIOS at JEDEC. Heck, hitting 3000 on an OC'd one would prove hard to do.

Have the mem in the correct slots? Can you even get into the BIOS?

I see other mems at 3000 for this board. The only difference I see is the G.SKILL chips are a little faster with lower latency.

The PC worked fine for a while then started acting up. I can even go a month or more with no issues then it won't boot. I'm also certain the memory is slotted correctly. An IT friend of mine double-checked the build before I plugged anything in to be sure. I understand that's an important step, but also recognized it would very difficult to change with the CPU cooler installed. I'd need to remove the heat sink and fans to get to the RAM.

Oh, and yes, I can get into BIOS.

Edited by sadkkf - 06 Nov 2016 at 9:47pm
sadkkf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadkkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 10:04pm
I could buy a couple of sticks of "approved" RAM to see if that helps with this, but only as a last resort. This is why I was hoping MemTest86 turned up some errors, but it didn't.

I'm wide open to suggestions here.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 10:04pm
OH! Almost forgot to look.

Those F4-3000C14Q-32GTZ sticks, they do not have any X99 XMP Profiles, only Z170 ones.

That means you need to set them up manually on the X99. Doesn't mean they will or won't work, even  at a lower initial boot. Only that setting XMP doesn't work on the X99. Too, you'll  most likely have to adjust other voltages seeings they don't have proper X99 XMP settings.

Odd. I just cut and pasted the link I posted and it's working fine here.

Oh. It runs for a month or so  huh? Hmmmmm .... I was going off this was a new build giving you fits.

Is the board/processor OC'd while this happens?

Specs please. Of your system and generalize the OC if any.
sadkkf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadkkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

OH! Almost forgot to look.

Those F4-3000C14Q-32GTZ sticks, they do not have any X99 XMP Profiles, only Z170 ones.

That means you need to set them up manually on the X99. Doesn't mean they will or won't work, even  at a lower initial boot. Only that setting XMP doesn't work on the X99. Too, you'll  most likely have to adjust other voltages seeings they don't have proper X99 XMP settings.

Odd. I just cut and pasted the link I posted and it's working fine here.

Oh. It runs for a month or so  huh? Hmmmmm .... I was going off this was a new build giving you fits.

Is the board/processor OC'd while this happens?

Specs please. Of your system and generalize the OC if any.

My specs again:

X99 Extreme4
BIOS v3.40
Samsung 850 EVO SSD (boot drive)
Windows 7 Pro
G.SKILL TridentZ 288-pin SDRAM DDR4 3000 Model F4-3000C14Q-32GTZ (4x8GB)
MSI Radeon R9 390 Gaming 8GB PCI Express 3
Intel i7-5820K

NOTHING is OC'd.

I've *never* OC'd anything with this build.

The disk read error is somewhat intermittent. Yesterday, for example, Windows gave some errors, blue screened, reboot and gave the error.

I ran MemTest86 and found nothing. Reboot it manually, then Windows automatically ran ChkDsk and that found a lot of errors and booted fine right after.

I was rendering a 3D scene for work, went to bed, and over night the PC crashed and rebooted again. Right now I'm seeing the disk read error again.

The error is intermittent, but getting more frequent.

I bought the parts for this late August last year and probably didn't see the first problem for a few months. Now, the PC is unusable.

I've checked the power consumption and it's never gone over 300 watts with an 850W power supply.

CPU and case temps are well below limits, too.

All I can think of is RAM unless there's something not right about this board.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic