ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme4 where is my RAM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 4:56pm
Oh!. Ya know what may be happening here .........

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/978610

Read that link top to bottom, then check/follow at "Things to Try" and follows the instructions beginning at step 1 and on through 4

This problem may occur because the Maximum memory option is selected incorrectly. To fix this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start Start button, type msconfig in the Search programs and files box, and then click msconfig in the Programs list.
2. In the System Configuration window, click Advanced options on the Boot tab.
3. Click to clear the Maximum memory check box, and then click OK.
4. Restart the computer.

Let us know if that corrects the issue there you're having.

Edited by wardog - 07 Nov 2016 at 4:57pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 5:13pm
From Wardog's link:

Quote Windows 7 Starter Edition only supports 2 GB of installed memory

Is your copy of windows 7 activated? If not then it defaults to "Starter Edition" and that could well be the issue.
gvenko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gvenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 2:47am
Installed 16GB.
I found some option in BIOS with 3 choices: Dynamic, 2,5GB and 3,5GB. I leaved it on 3,5GB and Windows see 2,7GB. This is best I can do at this moment.
wtuppa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wtuppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 4:04am
once more about the Windows device manager (view by resources).
I wanted to check, which memory ranges are used by which devices. That means this ranges are not available for RAM mapping (that's why you cannot have 4GB memory with 32bit operating system).
e.g. my PCI Bus uses a lot of memory range (for different devices), in total 1.35GB!!
My Ethernet Controller needs only 128KB. Due to some alignment, there are usually some holes in between, that cannot be used.
The HD530 Graphics  uses 256MB + 16MB (with a hole of 224MB) [part of the PCI space].
The mainboard resources uses even more memory in total [outside of PCI].
So my MB (also I use a 64bit Windows 7), the 32bit are can hold only a bit more than 2GB, since the low MB and everything above 0x89000000 (2,3GB) is reserved for some memory mapped I/O resources. for 64bit system, most memory is mapped above 4GB.

That is why I was asking for the memory ranges of devices...
I even think 2,7 GB may be already the maxmmimum that you can reach...
Regards
Walter

Edited by wtuppa - 08 Nov 2016 at 4:07am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 4:24am
Using Windows own Snipping Tool, show us a FULL pic of the Memory tab of Resource Monitor, resmon.exe.

That will show us where it's at/going/allotted to.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 4:30am
Mine here just now:

gvenko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gvenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 3:59am
I contacted Asrock support team and here what they explain:

Thank you for contacting ASRock.

Due to the operating system limitation, the actual memory size may be less than 4GB for the reservation for system usage under Windows® 32-bit OS. 

For Windows® 64-bit OS with 64-bit CPU, there is no such limitation.

Please refer to the Product Specifications from the link below,

There is another method to modify the ?œTop Of Lower Usable Dram?? It can increase the usable memory.

Thanks!

All the best,
ASRock TSD

So the maximum is 2,7GB. Sad but nothing to do. Thanks to all for help but this case is solved.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic