ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock USB 3.1 Panel Drive Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BVH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 6:41am
Any updates from anybody on this?

I tried plugging the SATA Express into my 2nd port on the MB but no change.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 7:38am
Originally posted by BVH BVH wrote:

I'm assuming the SATAExpress ports are a shared resource with either and or available PCIe lanes remaining, or the SE ports shared resource(s), likely SATA ports, are occupied with HDDs/SSDs. It only takes one SATA drive connected to a shared resource to disable SE.

List what your computer is comprised of hardware wise.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 10:43am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by BVH BVH wrote:

I'm assuming the SATAExpress ports are a shared resource with either and or available PCIe lanes remaining, or the SE ports shared resource(s), likely SATA ports, are occupied with HDDs/SSDs. It only takes one SATA drive connected to a shared resource to disable SE.

List what your computer is comprised of hardware wise.

BVH has an Asus X99 Deluxe II board: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99-DELUXE-II/overview/

That is true in many cases, on ASRock Z170 boards, some which this USB 3.1 front panel device is supplied with, each of the SATA Express connectors, which uses two SATA ports each, is shared with specific M.2 ports.

X99 chipset boards, like the one DVH has, does not do this according to the Specifications page. Plus the Z170 chipset is very different than the X99. ASRock supplies a small board that connects only to a PCIe slot for additional USB 3.1 ports on the back of the PC case.

I'm beginning to think this might be a problem with the power connections to this front panel device. The four wire power connector from it to the mother board's USB 2.0 header does not seem very solid. It also seems to be a one of a kind cable and connector part.

My front panel 3.1 device was working, and after I did some cable management with both of the power connections, the USB and SATA power connector, it stopped working. I put it aside since I don't use front panel connections for USB very often, and I have USB 3.1 ports on the rear panel.

Seriously, try moving the two power cables connected to this device around a bit to see if you have a bad connection. If you are good with a volt meter, you can check continuity of these connections. Just thought of that, I'll try it...
BVH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BVH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 12:04pm
Thanks for the thoughts.  To add:  I have a Samsung 950 Pro in the M.2 slot and also a Samsung 850 EVO on Sata 1.  No issues with those.  Also have a BluRay player burner on Sata 2.  Other than that, I have an Nvidia 1080 in the 1st PCIE slot.  That's pretty much it.  I will try moving (maybe even temp disconnecting) the EVO and BluRay Sata cables to other of the many Sata MB ports.

I read somewhere today that another person had the same problem and found poor ("flimsy") cable connections up on the Asrock 3.1 board so I'll check those out too.

As suggested, I just disconnected all Sata connectors/drives except the Sata Express from the Asrock drive but still no joy so no conflicts with other SATA devices.  The M.2 is my boot drive so can't pull that and try.

Tomorrow, I might pull the drive and chek the board connections and cable ends.

Edited by BVH - 12 Dec 2016 at 12:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic