ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PC Modding > Project Build&Share
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

My new review platform

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 3:50pm
A thing of beauty Heart

And the before shot

Aside from the awesome new Corsair H105 AIO I have also added a Thermaltake Riing 140mm fan, my local store didn't have any Arctic 140s in stock and I like the more subtle not over bright ring LED effect that matches the logo on my GTX 960 G1 Gaming. I may not like the Christmas tree flashing LED effects but a subtle glow always makes me smile Tongue

As you can see there was plenty of tubing to reach the front of the case, even if I were to have the radiator mounted against the case then fans onto the radiator. I chose this configuration because it will allow me to add a pair of 120mm fans at a later date without having to dismantle everything Smile

I have done a few stress tests at the same OC I was using on the Arctic Freezer 12 (modded aesthetically). I am running my i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz with a 1.3v vcore. Both configs were tested with an ambient temp of 24c and as you can see from the pics the only change is the H105, the new 140mm fan was used for both the air and water cooling tests.

Arctic Freezer 12:

Idle: 32c
Prime Load: 75c
Gaming Load: 44c

Corsair H105:

Idle: 16c
Prime Load: 51c
Gaming load: 28c

As you can see, the gaming load on the H105 is lower than the idle load on the Arctic Freezer 12 Shocked The other temps are so far below the air cooler I think they speak for themselves. Now to overclock some more and see how far I get. I topped out at 4.6ghz using my Thermaltake Frio OCK @ 1.35v and couldn't run prime without a thermal event (100c). Lets see what I can get out of the H105 Cool

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 10:44pm
Oh well, no go on the overclocking. I still couldn't get the system stable at 4.6ghz no matter how much voltage I threw at it. On the up side temps remained sub 60c even at 1.42v. I was able to post at 5ghz but could not boot into the OS. On air I could not post at 5.0ghz with this CPU.

I am back to my 4.4ghz daily use OC after 7 hours of trying every combination of settings under the sun, I guess either my budget Z170 Pro4s or my CPU just are not up to the task Cry

None the less, 4.5ghz stable is still not a bad result I just would have liked to see more under water. It looks like I will have to wait for another board/CPU combo to try for the elusive 5ghz OC that both my previous systems denied me Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic