ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PCIe x1 slot compatibility?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhansman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCIe x1 slot compatibility?
    Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 3:03am
I just purchased an adapter with a USB-C (USB 3.1), which fits both of the white PCIe slots on my 890FX Deluxe 5 mobo, but when I try to install the drivers that came with it, I get the error message that the host controller (i.e., the adapter) is no found. I've tried both slots with no luck. Is there some trick to getting these slots enabled? Is one of them different from the other. Any help here would be most appreciated.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 5:03am
Ok bud. You have it all wrong and if you haven't yet ruined your motherboard or the USB card count yourself VERY lucky. Lucky indeed.

The white slots on your motherboard are PCI, not PCIe

I'm gonna assume you have a PCIe USB card in your hands as I don't believe a PCI card could hit USB 3.1 speeds.

The PCIe card you have belongs in the blue slots of your motherboard. Try that and reply back if the drivers get installed.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 5:25am
For some reason the PCIe x1 slots on that board are also white Confused

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/890FX%20Deluxe5/

Based on the fact the board didn't burn out I am going to guess the OP used the correct slots. The issue is likely compatibility. Could you post the model of the PCIe USB 3.1 card you purchased?

Wardog's suggestion of trying the blue slots is also a good idea, they are also PCIe slots and there is no risk using shorter (PCIe x1, X4 or X8) cards in them, they should work.

Edited by Xaltar - 14 Nov 2016 at 5:26am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 6:00am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

For some reason the PCIe x1 slots on that board are also white Confused

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/890FX%20Deluxe5/

Sheet! They are white aren't they Embarrassed
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by jhansman jhansman wrote:

I just purchased an adapter with a USB-C (USB 3.1), which fits both of the white PCIe slots on my 890FX Deluxe 5 mobo, but when I try to install the drivers that came with it, I get the error message that the host controller (i.e., the adapter) is no found. I've tried both slots with no luck. Is there some trick to getting these slots enabled? Is one of them different from the other. Any help here would be most appreciated.

wardog, Xaltar, consider this: How could a USB 3.1 adapter card work at full speed in a PCIe x1 slot?

Or even fit in a PCIe x1 slot?

The USB 3.1 card included with my X99 board, is a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot card. I agree the OP's card would seem to belong in a PCIe x4 - x16 slot, with at least x4 support. The OP's board supports PCIe 2.0.

They actually make PCIe 3.0 x1 USB 3.1 cards? Is that a one port card? One PCIe 3.0 lane is 8Gb/s. Didn't bother looking, working at 6:30AM again, later!!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

wardog, Xaltar, consider this: How could a USB 3.1 adapter card work at full speed in a PCIe x1 slot?

The USB 3.1 card included with my X99 board, is a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot card. I agree the OP's card would seem to belong in a PCIe x4 - x16 slot, with at least x4 support. The OP's board supports PCIe 2.0.

They actually make PCIe 3.0 x1 USB 3.1 cards? Is that a one port card? One PCIe 3.0 lane is 8Gb/s. Didn't bother looking, working at 6:30AM again, later!!

I didn't stop to think of throughput allowed over x1. But, looks like there are some x1 Type-C cards out there:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100160874%208000&IsNodeId=1&Description=usb%203.1%20c%20card&name=Add-On%20Cards&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1

We'll just have to wait for the OP to respond before we find out apparently ?????

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 2:38pm
My concern was the PCIe version, I have not used any USB 3.1 AICs so I have no idea what's available beyond a quick google search that yielded the same one Wardog linked.
jhansman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhansman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 9:28am
Well, by now you all know that the diagram in the manual  (p. 12) shows that both white slots , numbered 37 & 41 on the diagram, are PCI-e 2.0  x1. If the other slots will work, I'll give them a try, as now I am only using one of  x16 slots for my vidcard. As for the maker of the USB card, no idea. Got it from Deal  Xtreme (only took a month to get to me-slow boat from China); I knew it was a dice roll ordering from them, but I wasn't ready to pay $40 for the Asrock card on Newegg, for the luxury of 3.1 speeds. All this is for a USB-C cable that will connect an audio device to my PC. So, just to be clear, even though the card is the x1 size, it can still work in a larger slot? THAT would worry me about frying something, so until I hear from you all hear that this card can be used in the larger slot, out it stays. All I know now is that it is not recognized by Win 10, does not show up in Device Mgr., and the drivers will not install. I suspect the card is shoddy, and the slots are fine, but I have no other card to check this out with.

Edited by jhansman - 15 Nov 2016 at 9:39am
jhansman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhansman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 9:42am

Originally posted by jhansman jhansman wrote:

No the card is designed for the x1 slot, but it's a Chinese cheapie, and not docs came with it (other than the README on the driver disc). I think I'm just gonna have to eat this.
jhansman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhansman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 9:47am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I didn't stop to think of throughput allowed over x1. But, looks like there are some x1 Type-C cards out there:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100160874%208000&IsNodeId=1&Description=usb%203.1%20c%20card&name=Add-On%20Cards&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1

We'll just have to wait for the OP to respond before we find out apparently ?????

Yeah, the card I got looks like most of those linked above. As much as I'd like to have that USB-C port in my system, I can't see putting out $40-50 for it. Too bad that's what it costs for one that probably works. Sigh...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic