ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mem Usage 99%, No sound

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrylwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mem Usage 99%, No sound
    Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 7:11am
Here is my System Specs
3.00 gigahertz AMD FX -8120 Eight-Core
8192 kilobyte secondary memory cache
8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (8 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board b
Board: ASRock 970 Extreme3 
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. P1.80 07/31/2013

SS C: drive 
GeForce 9800 Video Card
Win 7 Ultimate 64

Everything was working normally until today I installed a PCI-Express USB 3.0 Card to Get USB 3.0 to the front panel.
The sound went scratchy and no sound other than the scratches. The ram usage jumped up to 99%

I pulled the card but the ram stayed at 99% and no sound. I restored win back to a few days. On reboot, I have the same problem. I uninstalled the sound drivers and reinstalled them. Nothing has helped. Except Ram dropped to 85% with Tbird and chrome open. No Tbird and 1 chrome window its 56% way higher than the 32% normally.
Here is my resource mon. I on;y have Chrome loaded with 1 page open. 

Can someone help?

Edited by larrylwill - 15 Nov 2016 at 7:20am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 10:08am
The first pic , all show 0% CPU Usage. But Yikes! That's with just one window/tab of chrome opened? I'd investigate that horror show. Talk about hogging resources!

The second pic nothing looks/appears strange other than the aforementioned Chrome hog.

Just how much  memory is installed on this motherboard?

Are you current with all the drivers available? Including the AMD All in One driver set?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 11:24am
Very strange situation. What is the model of the USB 3.0 card, just in case it provides any clues.

Did the USB 3.0 card have a driver you installed? If so, did you uninstall that driver?

Win 7 might have installed a driver for the card, which is going crazy for some reason. Check your other USB 3.0 device entries in Device Manager to see if their driver changed.

One Chrome Window seems to spawn off all those other instances of Chrome? Is that possibly a new version of Chrome that is not working well? Or possibly the memory usage is being assigned to "Chrome" when it really isn't.

While it seems your OS installation has gone crazy, try clearing the BIOS/CMOS. Restoring Windows to a point before the USB 3.0 card was installed was smart, but seems to have done nothing, which is odd.

Also, uninstall Chrome, restart the PC, and install it again.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 12:14pm
OP or parsec?

I fire up Chrome here on Win10 Pro x64 and get a steady 69.9MB displaying a NewEgg page.

Could those "spawn' processes be Chrome plugins?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic