ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

960GM/U3S3 FX USB ports not working anymore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcob10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 960GM/U3S3 FX USB ports not working anymore
    Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 12:41am
Hi everyone,

The USB ports (4 X 2.0 and 2 X 3.0) at the back of my 960GM/U3S3 FX motherboard have stopped functioning a while so I figured I might try to solve the issue. The ones at the front still work fine. I've looked around tried a few things in device manager, drivers are up to date, the problem existed before the Windows 10 update, all ports are enabled in the BIOS. 

The 3.0 ports briefly worked yesterday but I don't know what did the trick. I plugged a mouse in one of the port and it worked, but as soon as I plugged my cellphone in the second 3.0 port they both crashed. Haven't got any life out of the 6 back ports since.

Any idea what could be the cause of the problem and if there's a solution?

Thanks a lot for your assistance.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 4:18am
Try deleting the particular ports from/in Dev Mgr, reboot, and see if they come back working.

Post back the results huh.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Marcob10 Marcob10 wrote:

Hi everyone,

The USB ports (4 X 2.0 and 2 X 3.0) at the back of my 960GM/U3S3 FX motherboard have stopped functioning a while so I figured I might try to solve the issue. The ones at the front still work fine. I've looked around tried a few things in device manager, drivers are up to date, the problem existed before the Windows 10 update, all ports are enabled in the BIOS. 

The 3.0 ports briefly worked yesterday but I don't know what did the trick. I plugged a mouse in one of the port and it worked, but as soon as I plugged my cellphone in the second 3.0 port they both crashed. Haven't got any life out of the 6 back ports since.

What version of Windows did you use before the update to Windows 10?

What was the purpose of connecting your cell phone to the USB 3.0 port? To charge the phone? Or to transfer data between the phone and the PC? Does the cell phone charge via that USB connection?

Did the USB ports stop functioning before the first time you connected your cell phone to the USB 3.0 port?

Do you have the ASRock App Charger driver installed?

Do you have the ASRock XFast USB Utility installed?

You said you looked in Device Manager, the Universal Serial Bus Controller entries I assume. Did they all say The Device is working correctly? No problems with any of the USB entries in Device Manager?

Now that the ports are not working, do you see anything in Device Manager regarding the USB ports?
Marcob10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcob10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 2:09am

What was the purpose of connecting your cell phone to the USB 3.0 port? To charge the phone? Or to transfer data between the phone and the PC? Does the cell phone charge via that USB connection?

Did the USB ports stop functioning before the first time you connected your cell phone to the USB 3.0 port?

You said you looked in Device Manager, the Universal Serial Bus Controller entries I assume. Did they all say The Device is working correctly? No problems with any of the USB entries in Device Manager?

Now that the ports are not working, do you see anything in Device Manager regarding the USB ports?
[/QUOTE]

1. Windows 8
  2. Just testing out which port worked.
  3. Yes. As said in the initial comment.
  4. Yes, you seem to have sticked on the cellphone part, it's irrelevant
  5. Yes
  6. All ports appear normal in device manager.
Marcob10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcob10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 2:10am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Try deleting the particular ports from/in Dev Mgr, reboot, and see if they come back working.

Post back the results huh.

Ports reappear after reboot but still not working.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 9:56am
Odd.

The USB 2.0 ports are controlled by the chipset itself.

The USB 3.0 ports are controlled by the onboard Eton EJ168A.

What do your +3.3v and +5.0v PSU voltage readings look like? If the PSU is nearing the age of the motherboard all I can think of at this point is the PSU is weak on one or both of those voltages.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 1:06pm

Hi everyone,

1. Windows 8
  2. Just testing out which port worked.
  3. Yes. As said in the initial comment.
  4. Yes, you seem to have sticked on the cellphone part, it's irrelevant
  5. Yes
  6. All ports appear normal in device manager.
[/QUOTE]

Not sure from your reply if APP Charger and/or XFast USB are installed.

To quote from your first post:

"... but as soon as I plugged my cellphone in the second 3.0 port they both crashed. Haven't got any life out of the 6 back ports since."

How is connecting the cellphone irrelevant, when doing so crashed both USB 3.0 ports? Is that the first time you connected the cell phone to the PC?

The rest of your comment sounds like you are relating the two things, USB 3.0 ports crashing and the six USB 2.0 ports not working. I know those are separate problems, from information in your first post, but it seems like there may be more to it from your comment.

With all the Device Manager entries fine for the USB ports, but are non-functional when attempting to use them, that sounds like a USB power problem.

I would check the board, just behind the IO panel connections, where you can see USB 23 and USB 45 printed on the board, at least an inch radius circle from the text. Look for burned, damaged components. USB power may be fused on a board, non-user replaceable, but it prevents other parts of the board from being damaged. Hopefully no damage has occurred.

Check the power output of your cell phone charger, what is it, in Amps or Watts?

As wardog said, you USB 3.0 ports are provided by the Etron USB 3.0 chip. Windows 10 installs its own generic USB 3.0 driver, USBXHCI.SYS, which may not be agreeing with your Etron USB 3.0 chip. The only Etron USB 3.0 driver available for your board is for Win 7 and 8.

As wardog also said, the 5V power from the PSU, used by the USB ports, could be a problem. Does your PSU have a 20 pin ATX connector?

If your cell phone is simply not charging from the USB 3.0 port, and is attempting to make a data connection, a driver is usually needed to bridge the difference in operating systems.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic