ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Extreme9 Error 55 then Error 99

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trabo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97 Extreme9 Error 55 then Error 99
    Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 10:57pm
Hey guys, first time build and despite all my research, it's been a first-try-disaster.

I am attempting to do a bench test before I install everything in the case.

i7 4790K with included fan installed
EVGA 850 G2 PSU
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB RAM modules (x2)

I tried this with and without my video card (MSI R9 390) and got the same errors when trying to get the board to POST.

With both RAM modules installed (A2 and B2 as priority 1) I get Error 55.

When I connect a single RAM module in any slot, I get Error 99.  I got this with and without the video card.

Please let me know if there is anything I am missing or if this means I have a bad board.  I'm going to head to the store and pickup two more RAM modules to test, as well as another competitive mobo.

Thanks guys.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 1:40am
Welcome to the forums Wink

The first thing I would do in your situation is remove the CPU and check the pins on the motherboard. 

Error 99 is a PCIE error usually to do with the GPU.
Error 55 is RAM not detected.

Given that you are getting both errors depending on the ram setup it may be that the CPU is either not seated properly or there are bent pins on the board. The CPU is responsible for both the memory controller and the PCIE lanes.

Another possibility is that the RAM may be incompatible with your system though it is a fairly standard DDR3 1600 kit at 1.5v so I am leaning more toward bent pins or some sort of dirt/grime on the CPU pads preventing proper contact.

Be sure you align the notches on the CPU to the socket when you replace the CPU (assuming no bent pins)

Good luck

Edited by Xaltar - 12 Jul 2015 at 1:41am
trabo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trabo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 1:55pm
Thank you for your suggestions.  I ended up trying the system again in the morning and got the motherboard to POST with only one RAM module in place.

I got a little lucky, as it appears one of the two modules was bad and I had only tried the bad one the night previous.

I picked up some new RAM and everything is working great.

I'm so happy... I really wanted the Extreme9 to be my new baby.

:)

Thanks again!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 2:03pm
That is great news Big smile

Enjoy your new build Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic