FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Z170A-X1/3.1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock Z170A-X1/3.1
    Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by 1cebola 1cebola wrote:

Hello everyone.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Z170A-x1/3.1 Motherboard along with a I7 6700k processor. Altough the pc is running fine I noticed that even at stock speeds, without having any sort of overclock, the cpu core voltage was very high, sometimes reaching 1.33v during stress. Is this normal? Also how can I change the core voltage manually on this motherboard?

You're only at a VCore of 1.33V with a stock clock i7-6700K? Consider yourself fortunate, when Skylake i7-6700K processors were first released, their stock clock VCore was about 1.40V. That was with any and all mother boards, from any manufacture.

Yes, your VCore of 1.33V is normal for your processor. All processors do not use the same VCore voltage, there are no standard voltages for every processor.

Do you understand that the stock clock VCore of any Intel processor is based upon the VIDs programmed into the CPU at the factory? VIDs are VCore voltage values that the processor requests be applied to it from the mother board when the VCore voltage setting in the UEFI/BIOS is set to Auto. That is a simplified description of VIDs, but enough to explain your current VCore value.

VIDs are voltage values that are normally more than necessary, since Intel can and will over compensate the VCore at stock clocks to assure stability, but still remain below power usage limits. The true VCore is usually less than the VID. CPU monitoring programs may display the VID or actual VCore voltage, depending upon the program being used. It is much easier to display the VID, since reading the true VCore requires information about how to read the VCore from different boards.

What are you using to monitor the VCore of your CPU?

You can adjust the VCore voltage in the UEFI/BIOS, using the Advanced mode. Start by going to the OC Tweaker screen. Next find the Voltage Configuration screen. On that screen you'll find the CPU Vcore Voltage option.

Since you are asking a rather basic question, you probably will have more questions, so feel free to ask.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 9:34pm
""during stress""

Please elaborate on just what kind of "stress' ?

Like... in ...IBT or Prime95 stress?
1cebola View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1cebola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 10:36am
Hello everyone.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Z170A-x1/3.1 Motherboard along with a I7 6700k processor. Altough the pc is running fine I noticed that even at stock speeds, without having any sort of overclock, the cpu core voltage was very high, sometimes reaching 1.33v during stress. Is this normal? Also how can I change the core voltage manually on this motherboard?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic