ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AsRock 970 Fatal1ty Crossfire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AsRock 970 Fatal1ty Crossfire
    Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 6:26am
[URL=][/URL]Dear community,

I'm trying to run Crossfire with two R9 Fury (16 slot each).

I cannot succeed... Every game I run provides me with negative scaling.

On AMD site, no one can help me...

On page 16 of the manual I can see the following table

PCIe Slot Configurations

Single Graphics Card = lane width
pcie2: x16 lane width
pcie4: N/A
pcie5: N/A

Two Graphics Cards in CrossFireX Mode = lane width
pcie2: x8 lane width
pcie4: x8 lane width

Does the lane refers to the 2x8 pins for the PSU connection?

Does this means the Motherboard is actually preventing me from using properly two Fury in crossfire with 16 lanes each? Or it has nothing to do with it?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Dinin70

Here are my specs

FX8350
8GB Ram Corsair 1600
AsRock 970 fatal1ty
2x Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro OC Trixx
Corsair rm1000x
Windows 10 64b

Edited by dinin70 - 03 Dec 2016 at 6:27am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by dinin70 dinin70 wrote:

[URL=][/URL]Dear community,

I'm trying to run Crossfire with two R9 Fury (16 slot each).

I cannot succeed... Every game I run provides me with negative scaling.

On AMD site, no one can help me...

On page 16 of the manual I can see the following table

PCIe Slot Configurations

Single Graphics Card = lane width
pcie2: x16 lane width
pcie4: N/A

Two Graphics Cards in CrossFireX Mode = lane width
pcie2: x8 lane width
pcie4: x8 lane width

Does the lane refers to the 2x8 pins for the PSU connection?

Does this means the Motherboard is actually preventing me from using properly two Fury in crossfire with 16 lanes each? Or it has nothing to do with it?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Dinin70

Here are my specs

FX8350
8GB Ram Corsair 1600
AsRock 970 fatal1ty
2x Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro OC Trixx
Corsair rm1000x
Windows 10 64b

Assuming you have the Fatal1ty 970 Performance board.

The mother board itself is not preventing you from running your two video cards in x16 lane mode, it is the limitations of the board's 970 chipset.

The AMD 970 chipset provides 22 PCIe 2.0 electrical lanes to the PCIe slots on a mother board. Yes, twenty two PCIe 2.0 lanes. Far short of the 32 PCIe lanes needed for dual x16 video cards.

No PCIe lanes are provided to the board by the FX series processors.

Of those 22 PCIe 2.0 lanes, four are reserved (by AMD spec) for a PCIe 2.0 x4 electrical slot, that may be x16 physically in length.

Two more of those PCIe 2.0 lanes are allocated to the PCIe 2.0 x1 slots.

That leaves 16 PCIe 2.0 lanes that may be allocated to one PCIe 2.0 x16 physical slot, or split into two PCIe 2.0 x8 lane allocations, to two PCIe 2.0 x16 physical slots.

The board's specification of PCIE2 and PCIE4, both at x8 lane width is correct, when both lanes are in use in two card Crossfire mode.

Only the 990FX chipset can provide enough PCIe 2.0 lanes to supply two PCIe x16 slots with 16 PCIe 2.0 lanes each.

So obviously no, the x8 lanes does not refer to the eight pin power connectors found on video cards.

The best you will get with any 970 chipset board is two PCIe 2.0 x16 slots, at x8 lanes each, plus one more PCIe 2.0 x16 slot, with x4 lanes, sorry to say. That is exactly what your board provides.

The PCIe lane limitation is simply caused by the AMD 970 chipset. Any and all mother boards made by any manufacture using the 970 chipset will have the same number of PCIe 2.0 lanes available for the PCIe slots.

We must be careful when looking at mother boards with multiple PCIe x16 slots. Just because a PCIe slot is x16 in length physically, does not mean it will automatically have 16 PCIe electrical lanes allocated to each one.

Mother boards with two PCIe x16 slots that both have x16 lanes are very rare. Only the AMD 990FX chipset boards will have that, and the Intel X79 and X99 boards, with certain Intel HEDT processors. There are a few boards that use switching chips to multiplex the PCIe lanes between the PCIe x16 slots, but they are expensive and aren't seen often anymore.

The AMD forum was unable to explain this to you? Or was it something else?
dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 4:44pm
Wow, thank you a lot parsec. Such a detailed answer. I didn't understand everything but you're talking about high-knowledge-required stuff...

I find rather misleading then to state the card is crossfire compatible. Your level of knowledge is far above the one of 99.9% of the people. If a company states crossfire compatible without any special mention, the card (or the chipset on the card) shouldn't be of any bottleneck.

Anyway, I get the point. Rather upset however since it would be a suicide getting a 990fx board while Zen is some months ahead...

I'll leave the second fury in a closet up until Zen comes out then.

thank you a lot!

At AMD no one really talked about the chipset possible limitation
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 5:10pm
You should not be getting negative scaling even at x4 + x4. You would see lower performance (marginally) than another system running at x8 + x8 but certainly not negative scaling. Parsec's description explains how the lane allocation works, x1, x4, x8, x16 etc but when it comes to crossfire x4 + x4 is the minimum requirement.

In your case you are running at x8 + x8 which should be MORE than adequate to provide a significant performance boost with the 2 GPUs running in crossfire. Something is wrong with the way you have it set up. With that in mind lets run through a few things, I will keep it fairly simple as you stated your knowledge is a little shy of pro Wink

1. Are both GPUs the same model? (please provide make and model for both)
2. Did you clear CMOS when you installed the second GPU? (it is always good practice to do so when installing major hardware like a GPU, RAM or CPU)
3. Is this scaling being tested in a single title or is it across multiple games? (many games are poorly optimized for multi GPU use and often demonstrate negative scaling as a result)
4. What power supply are you using? (if it is not adequate for the GPU's power requirements they could be throttling and thus lowering performance)
5. Did you perform a complete fresh install of the graphics drivers? 

If not for number 5 then:

Download DDU (display driver uninstaller) then boot into safe mode and run it. Remove all AMD graphics drivers from your system then reboot back into regular mode and install the latest drivers fresh.

There is no reason why your system should not be able to properly run a crossfire setup, this is a resolvable issue so don't give up just yet Wink

Edited by Xaltar - 03 Dec 2016 at 5:11pm
dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 7:38pm
Hi Xaltar,

1. Both are the same Sapphire Fury nitro trixx oc 1050mhz
2. I didn't clear cmos
3. I tested on Overwatch, Unreal 3, Unreal tournament (but it's in pre alpha, so I don't expect anything out of it) and warhammer total war. All of them provided negative scaling.
4. I'm using a corsair rm1000x
5. I did a clean install with ddu: Uninstall AMD radeon display driver only. Reboot safe mode, use ddu (clean and restart), put antivirus off, installed latest drivers. All if this with both cards plugged.

thanks!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 8:13pm
@ Xaltar et all

https://community.amd.com/thread/208578

Stern Smile
dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 8:32pm
Hi wardog.

yup, that's my post at AMD. Reason why I stated at AMD no one talked about chipset limitation.

there are some things that can be found in there, but nothing that seems to a noob like me relevant. we tested the cpu load, and that's actually it...

have 1.2 bios installed. I saw there is a 1.3 but I lack a usb key...

Edited by dinin70 - 03 Dec 2016 at 8:36pm
dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 9:57pm
Hello,

So here is what I exactly did:

- uninstall all drivers through the control pannel
- reboot
- reboot in safe mode
- DDU clean and shutdwon
- shutdown
- clear CMOS, take off card 2
- set the RAM to XMP 1.3
- reboot
- update bios to v1.2
- Reboot
- install last drivers, last ones.
- Reboot
- check everything is installed properly (control pannel /
Radeon Settings)
- shutdown
- plug second card
- on startup screen flashes black as it recognizes the second grapic card.

And still:
- negative scaling in Overwatch for about 30 FPS less
- minimal gain (a couple of FPS) on Warhammer Total War.

Maybe I'm only playing poorly optimized for Crossfire...
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 10:13pm
I think you misunderstood Parsec's explanation. You mentioned not being able to run both cards @x16, he then clarified that this is not possible due to the amount of PCIe lanes available from the chipset. That does not mean your setup is performing incorrectly. In fact looking at your other thread everything appears to be functioning as it should with regards to hardware. There is no consumer grade system currently on the market that can run 2 GPUs at x16 for the same reasons Parsec noted. Currently only Intel's socket 2011 CPUs provide enough PCIe lanes for x16 + x16 configurations.  Ultimately it means nothing as both crossfire and SLI work optimally at x8 + x8 and x16 + x16 does not actually provide any better performance. 

From your other post on the AMD forums (please link to such things in the future) it appears your GPUs are indeed running at PCIe x8 2.0 speeds which is exactly as they should be. 

Please download, install and run 3d Mark Firestrike and run it with crossfire enabled then disabled and check your scaling in a benchmark that is actually optimized for crossfire. If you do not see positive scaling here then you have a problem, if the scaling is positive however then your titles simply do not support crossfire properly. 
dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 10:56pm
Very good point Xaltar. I'll try this now
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic