ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How can I update BIOS "B"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aristoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How can I update BIOS "B"
    Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 1:31am
x99m Killer 
i7 6800K  (only allows BOOT , update with BIOS version 3 or higher not 1.90.)

BIOS A works great. It's the latest version 3.30. But BIOS "B" is still 1.90 . How can I update BIOS "B". 
I tried the tool in UEFI that looks like it is supposed to copy A -> B. After rebooting I got a DrDebug 67 and no boot. So I switched back to A and everything was fine again. 

Thank  you!

I read this post from parsec and another person with the same problem.. I will try it.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2948&KW=bios+a-%26gt%3Bb&PID=14591&title=x99-extreme-4-bios-update-oc#14591

Edited by Aristoc - 04 Dec 2016 at 1:36am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 4:44am
See pg83 of your manual.

Quote Secure Backup UEFI

Whenever one of the ROM images are outdated or corrupted, switch to the other
flash ROM and execute Secure Backup UEFI to duplicate the current working ROM
image to the secondary flash ROM.

Aristoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aristoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 5:31am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

See pg83 of your manual.

Quote Secure Backup UEFI

I can confirm that the UEFI back up utliity in Tools, UEFI A -> B , will make a copy of the BIOS in A and copy it over to the BIOS in B. I verified this by physically moving the switch on the MOBO from position A to position B and my computer booted no problem. Also on B I checked the BIOS version in System Information (Windows 10 running here) and all confirmed to be the latest BIOS.

Thank you

Edited by Aristoc - 04 Dec 2016 at 5:54am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Aristoc Aristoc wrote:

See pg83 of your manual.

Quote Secure Backup UEFI

I can confirm that the UEFI back up utliity in Tools, UEFI A -> B , will make a copy of the BIOS in A and copy it over to the BIOS in B. I verified this by physically moving the switch on the MOBO from position A to position B and my computer booted no problem. Also on B I checked the BIOS version in System Information (Windows 10 running here) and all confirmed to be the latest BIOS.

Thank you

The manual is a wondrous thing to have at hand Tongue Wink
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 11:32am

The manual is a wondrous thing to have at hand Tongue Wink

Yes, the manual is a great reference. From the Fatal1ty X99M Killer manual, about the A and B BIOS chips. Please check the underlined portion of the last section below, which is the same for any ASRock board that has dual BIOS chips:

This motherboard has two BIOS chips, a primary BIOS (BIOS_ A) and a backup BIOS (BIOS_B), which enhances the safety and stability of your system. Normally, the system will work on the primary BIOS. However, if the primary BIOS is corrupted or damaged, just flip the BIOS Selection Switch to "B", then the backup BIOS will take over on the next system boot. After that, use "Secure Backup UEFI" in the UEFI Setup Utility to duplicate a working copy of the BIOS iles to the primary BIOS to ensure normal system operation.

For safety issues, users are not able to update the backup BIOS manually. Users may refer to the BIOS LEDs (BIOS_ A_LED or BIOS_B_LED) to identify which BIOS is currently activated.

So what does that mean? Is this simply incorrect? Or is there a subtle difference in, "... not able to update the backup BIOS manually"?
nahawand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nahawand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 11:05pm
Hello,

I have x99m Killer/3.1 and having nightmares with booting up.
one of the stupid things I made is updating the B Bios to V4 and thought it would update the main board as the manual stated that users are not able to update B bios.
successfully I've updated both bios A & B to v4 and unsuccessful bootup.
the computer is stuck on some kind of loop and freezes up at different stages of boot.
even if it reaches windows recovery process (which never happened in v4 so far) the windows is corrupted and it can't fix it.
I tried booting ubuntu from a usb stick but still no hope.

my pc configuration is:

ASRock Fatal1ty X99m killer/3.1
Core i7 5930K
4x 8GB Ballistix Sport 2666MHz
Samsung SM951 NVMe
GTX 970 Gigabyte mini
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic