ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASROCK X99 Extreme 4 Needs BIOS Update ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worksleepwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASROCK X99 Extreme 4 Needs BIOS Update ?
    Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 2:04am
I am reading that if you received a X99 Extreme 4 with bios version pre 3.0 that it is not compatible with an i7 6800. I believe I am having this issue currently as the PC powers on however it displays no video and has a red light displayed.
Is it possible to update the bios without buying a new CPU or a new BIOS chip? If not is it hard to replace the BIOS chip on the MB? I have never really experienced this before and would like some input. Thanks!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 2:18am
Contact Tech Support directly and they will help you out with this. We can tell you what to do and how to do it but you need to contact them to organize a new BIOS chip.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 2:34am
It's 3.30 that begins BIOS support for the i7-6800K:
http://asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Extreme4/index.us.asp?cat=CPU

Look on the lower edge at the lower right corner. There are two stickers covering both BIOS chips that have printed on them the BIOS rev. that the motherboard came with from the factory.

What is printed on your stickers?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 2:36am
Too, you haven't by change overlooked plugging in the 8-pin CPU Power at the top middle of the motherboard have you?

Edited by wardog - 07 Dec 2016 at 2:36am
worksleepwork View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worksleepwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 2:48am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Too, you haven't by change overlooked plugging in the 8-pin CPU Power at the top middle of the motherboard have you?

No, first thing I checked when I noticed the initial problem. I will have to double check the bios version when I get home though thanks for noting that. Hopefully it is the most recent and my problem just lies in something else rather simple.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 3:11am
I wouldn't worry, even if you do need a new BIOS chip ASRock is very helpful with this issue (X99 and broadwell). Replacing the chip itself is very simple and straight forward too. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worksleepwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 2:42am
So it turns out that it did in fact have the latest bios update.
I ended up just leaving it running and the screen eventually came on.
It turns out it is taking around 50 seconds or so to hit the post screen.
Is there a particular reason that it is taking so long? 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 2:48am
Originally posted by worksleepwork worksleepwork wrote:

Using a PCIe slot based nVME by chance?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worksleepwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 3:59am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by worksleepwork worksleepwork wrote:

Using a PCIe slot based nVME by chance?

Nope just a Crucial MX300 2.5" 525GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD).

Rest of specs if it helps are :

•  G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Intel 

•  Intel Core i7-6800K

• GeForce GTX 1060 TURBO-GTX1060-6G 6GB

• EVGA 850 GQ, 80+ GOLD 850W, Semi Modular
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 8:08am
Hmmm

Directly above the top x16 PCIe slot is a 4-pin female molex connection that feeds additional voltage to the PCIe bus.

For an experiment arrange a cable from the PSU to this 4-pin connection to see if doing this makes a diff.

Are you OC'ing any parts of this build?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic