ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - SOLVED ASRock FATAL1TY Z170 GAMING K4 not booting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

SOLVED ASRock FATAL1TY Z170 GAMING K4 not booting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote couldbebetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SOLVED ASRock FATAL1TY Z170 GAMING K4 not booting
    Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 11:22am
I've new barebone setup right now and I'm trying to debug my system.

The motherboard has Intel Core i5-6600K and G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel Z170 Memory Kit F4-3000C15D-16GVKB (supported) and it just starts but nothing shows on the screen. Processor fan runs nicely but as I don't have speaker in my system, I'm not keeping any beeps anywhere.

Prior this I had Samsung M.2 SSD connected to the system and then it booted up for 5 second (based on fan), stopped and booted up again and never showed anything on display.

Currently, I've connected the display through HDMI into my PC monitor through MB connector but the aim is to hook up my GTX1080 once things start working.

Any ideas what I should try?

-- edit -- 17.12.2016
After trying PSU and RAM, I went for trying different motherboard and that solved the issue. I used supported RAM modules so I believe the board was DOA (Dead On Arrival) so now I get to do some RMA fun :-(

Edited by couldbebetter - 18 Dec 2016 at 11:29am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 11:39am
Two things to begin with.

1. Be sure you haven't overlooked plugging in the 8-pin CPU Power at the top of the motherboard.

2. Reset the BIOS

And also use the processors iGPU to diagnose with.

Keep us updated.
couldbebetter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote couldbebetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 11:49am
I checked CPU power as I had seen that somebody in this forum had done that mistake.

I reseted BIOS as advised in this forum. I didn't remove battery to do full CMOS clean-up but based manual the difference was just resetting the clock.

I believe motherboard connector is connected to Intel's internal GPU (I believe you refer that as iGPU). I'm not using DVI connector and I was wondering if MB could have an issue with HDMI. Could it? I'm not sure if I have DVI cable.

I've been building computers since early 90's and this is the first time that I've really nothing to work with. Should I try getting new PSU, take the processors out or what? It is not like I can take too much out from the system anymore. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by couldbebetter couldbebetter wrote:

I've been building computers since early 90's and this is the first time that I've really nothing to work with.

Tell me. We moved from MI to AZ this spring to retire. Some bozos decided to cut the lock on the trailer and stole all, most of anyways, my 4 computers and most of my spare parts too.

HDMI on first boots while using the internal GPU(iGPU Wink) from what I've read and replied here have mostly been troublesome.

Get or borrow a DVI-D cable and test.

Too, is HDMI feeding a monitor, or television? Monitor please.

Skip the PSU for now, unless you do believe it dubious or questionable for this build, but please, list out what hardware comprises the system if you would. Include the PSUs age too.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 12:40pm

I've been building computers since early 90's .........

Poking some fun your way, but .....

Did it run outside the case, bench build, before you built/placed it in the case? TongueStar

That'd be a sure fire way to diagnose, now EmbarrassedTongue
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 12:44pm

I checked CPU power as I had seen that somebody in this forum had done that mistake.

I reset BIOS as advised in this forum.

OMG!. Someone who read here FIRST and didn't just jump the gun and begin by saying they'll never buy another ASRock motherboard.

Experience and maturity.  Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Edited by wardog - 08 Dec 2016 at 12:45pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 12:52pm
I suppose you could insert that 1080 to trial with. It won't hurt anything.

But remember to clear the BIOS as you are with every hardware change, and that includes moving memory in out and around.
couldbebetter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote couldbebetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 4:55am
I managed to find DVI cable (I'm such a computer stuff horder that I might even find VGA cable ;-)) even though I thought that I had thrown all of them away when moving to DP/HDMI era.

It is hooked to PC monitor through DVI and no new signs of life.

My system currently is:
Intel Core i5-6600K
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel Z170 Memory Kit F4-3000C15D-16GVKB
ASRock FATAL1TY Z170 GAMING K4
Corsair AX760i

I'm waiting the system to boot up to add:
Samsung 950Pro  512GB
GTX 1080 graphics card

PSU came through warranty exchange as the previous power blew up little over year ago - I've used this as spare power when debugging my computer rigs in case I suspect PSU failures. I cannot be 100% sure that power is necessarily 100% healthy.

Would the system even get fan on if CPU is busted? Typically, I've got some signs in past if RAM is not working but I get nothing now (probably as I don't have speaker in my system).

I'm all ears to get advices to see what to try next.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 5:21am

I managed to find DVI cable (I'm such a computer stuff horder that I might even find VGA cable ;-)) even though I thought that I had thrown all of them away when moving to DP/HDMI era.

It is hooked to PC monitor through DVI and no new signs of life.

My system currently is:
Intel Core i5-6600K
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel Z170 Memory Kit F4-3000C15D-16GVKB
ASRock FATAL1TY Z170 GAMING K4
Corsair AX760i

I'm waiting the system to boot up to add:
Samsung 950Pro  512GB
GTX 1080 graphics card

PSU came through warranty exchange as the previous power blew up little over year ago - I've used this as spare power when debugging my computer rigs in case I suspect PSU failures. I cannot be 100% sure that power is necessarily 100% healthy.

Would the system even get fan on if CPU is busted? Typically, I've got some signs in past if RAM is not working but I get nothing now (probably as I don't have speaker in my system).

I'm all ears to get advices to see what to try next.

Put your 1080 in and attempt to boot.

Otherwise, baring that, I'd be pulling the processor and looking for displaced pins/contacts in the socket itself.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 10:35am

I've new barebone setup right now and I'm trying to debug my system.

The motherboard has Intel Core i5-6600K and G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel Z170 Memory Kit F4-3000C15D-16GVKB (supported) and it just starts but nothing shows on the screen. Processor fan runs nicely but as I don't have speaker in my system, I'm not keeping any beeps anywhere.

Prior this I had Samsung M.2 SSD connected to the system and then it booted up for 5 second (based on fan), stopped and booted up again and never showed anything on display.

Currently, I've connected the display through HDMI into my PC monitor through MB connector but the aim is to hook up my GTX1080 once things start working.

Any ideas what I should try?

Sorry, but I don't seen the G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GVKB kit in your board's memory support list:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Gaming%20K4/?cat=Memory

Unless you have the wrong part number, which I have a feeling you do. Searching on GVKB and GVK models, both result in 3200 speed kits, not 3000 speed.

If you have 8GB DIMMs, they should be used in the A1 and B1 slots.

Your PC began the POST process, but cannot boot an OS until one is installed. So if it started for about five seconds the first time you ever turned it on, it barely started the POST process, and failed POST very early on. That is usually a memory or CPU problem.

See this page for memory recommended by G.SKILL for your system:

http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2484&model=2518

But, that list is incomplete, since I use G.SKILL 3200 TridentZ memory in my Z170 Extreme7+ board, which G.SKILL does not include in their list for my board. Both your and my board's list ends at 2800 speed memory.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic