ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X99 Taichi only seeing 32gb of 64gb quad ch ram
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 Taichi only seeing 32gb of 64gb quad ch ram

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 11:34pm
Thank you for this list of great advice, I will give it all a shot and report back soon!
blark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 1:55am
No luck with the recommendations thus far. I feel like I've tried every possible motherboard setting... wish I had an extra 2011-3 CPU here to try, I strongly suspect the Xeon is the culprit. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 2:46am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

The serial numbers across all four sticks, are they numbered consecutively?
blark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 3:33am

The serial numbers across all four sticks, are they numbered consecutively?

Yes, this is a QUAD CHANNEL kit purchased from Amazon (HX424C15FBK4 - as per the ASRock Taichi Memory QVL). I double checked the sticks and the serial numbers are consecutive. 

Here is another screenshot showing that Windows can't see the memory but CPUZ can... 

http://imgur.com/gvNaEyW

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 3:40am
I am inclined to agree with you that it may be the CPU. The telling detail in that CPUz screenshot is the "dual channel" rather than "Quad Channel" under "Channel #". The fact that the RAM is being detected means it is unlikely the slots themselves which is typically what is wrong when the board is at fault.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 4:18am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I am inclined to agree with you that it may be the CPU.

I'm almost there too. Diagnosing over the internet sux.

OP, if you're not tired on me yet, in CPU-z's SPD tab, look that all four sticks have the same timings and voltage displayed. Too, look at each sticks SPD tab and see if there are any irregularities noted between the four sticks.

Experience says this is sometimes/usually related to mismatched sticks. Hence my continued badgering.

If they are the same, then I'll bow and agree it's most likely the CPU.

blark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 9:13am
I RMA'd the CPU ... that was the issue, I put an i7 6800k in and it worked fine right away. 

Thanks to everyone for all the help.
swdluxxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swdluxxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 9:49am
Hi  Wink

i will help to everyone wo will use more as 16 Gb of Ram at Ram Speed more as 2400.

1. Go to Bios and find  "FIVR Configuration"
2. Find and set  your "System Agent Offset" to "0.0300"
3. Save Bios and Restart your Computer.

now you can use more as 16Gb of Ram at higher Speed like 2666 And more, without any Problem.
To ASRock - please make it easy for everyone at next Bios Update for X99 Boards and set this "Offset" automaticaly a little bit higher if Mainboard have detect more Ram at higher Speed like a 2666+

Have a nice Day,
your swdluxxer Handshake

Edited by swdluxxer - 02 Jan 2017 at 10:00am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 10:17am
Originally posted by swdluxxer swdluxxer wrote:

Hi  Wink

i will help to to everyone wo will use more as 16 Gb of Ram at Ram Speed more as 2400.

1. Go to Bios and find  "FIVR Configuration"
2. Find and set  your "System Agent Offset" to "0.0300"
3. Save Bios and Restart your Computer.

now you can use more as 16Gb of Ram at higher Speed like 2666 And more, without any Problem.
To ASRock - please make it easy for everyone at next Bios Update for X99 Boards and set this "Offset" automaticaly a little bit higher if Mainboard have detect more Ram at higher Speed like a 2666+

Have a nice Day,
your swdluxxer Handshake

While you are basically correct about adjusting the System Agent (SA) voltage to help with higher speed DDR4 memory, unlike DRAM voltage, more SA voltage is not always better.

Note I did not say more SA voltage is never better, it obviously is in your case. I'm saying there is an appropriate amount of SA voltage, and too much can even have a negative affect.

Actually what you suggested, automatically setting a higher SA voltage is exactly what mother board manufactures and DDR4 manufactures have done with the Intel Skylake platform. The DDR4 memory's XMP data now has much higher SA voltage levels, 1.2V or more. The mother boards, when SA voltage is set to Auto SA voltage and manually setting a higher memory speed will also set a higher SA voltage. I've seen an Auto SA voltage of over 1.2V on my Skylake board.

But I have found that these high SA voltages are not always necessary. That is my point, there is a sweet spot for SA voltage that depends upon the memory being used, and the memory controller, which is part of the CPU.  I can manually set the SA voltage to 1.1V at the same memory speed, and it works fine. It's difficult to know the exact SA voltage when you are dealing with offsets in the UEFI settings, but if you try different monitoring programs like AIDA64, HWiNFO, etc, you can find it.

Thanks for your tip and feedback about what works for you, that is valuable to users and ASRock.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 10:27am
Originally posted by blark blark wrote:

I RMA'd the CPU ... that was the issue, I put an i7 6800k in and it worked fine right away. 

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Thank you for telling us about your experience. It is important information, a real world experience and validation.

DDR4 at 2400 should not be a difficult memory speed, or OC, for an Intel HEDT processor. But a Xeon is a different animal, and why it won't (apparently?) work with memory speeds not far above its max memory speed spec (2133) is curious. I'm not saying the Xeon should go above 2133, but wondering why is that a hard limit.

The i7-6800K memory speed spec is up to 2400. I have 2666 memory running with my i7-6800K, so it can go higher.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic