ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X99 Taichi only seeing 32gb of 64gb quad ch ram
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 Taichi only seeing 32gb of 64gb quad ch ram

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99 Taichi only seeing 32gb of 64gb quad ch ram
    Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 1:55pm
Hello,

I have an 99 Taichi on the latest bios (1.40) and I am having problems getting it to see all of my memory. 

My memory is on the QVL, it is: Kingston Technology HyperX FURY Black 64 GB Kit CL15 DIMM DDR4 2400 MT/s Internal Memory (HX424C15FBK4/64). My cpu is an Intel Xeon E5 2695 V3. 

Notes:

- The motherboard's "System Browser" shows that all four channels are populated 
- The main screen of the bios only shows A1 and B1 (dual channel memory mode)
- When I run memtest it sees all four modules but only registers 32gb of system ram
- Memtest shows no errors with the 32GB ram that is enabled

Troubleshooting that I have performed:

- Switching memory modules (swapped a1+b1 with c1+d1) still shows 32GB on boot
- Then I mixed memory modules and it still shows 32GB 
- Changing timing and voltages slightly does not help 

Please help, this issue is driving me mad! Thanks in advance. 

blark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 2:22pm
I should also mention that I have reseated all the ram modules several times and checked inside each slot with a flashlight.

Likewise, I have double checked that all the CPU pins are fine and reseated the CPU. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by blark blark wrote:

- Then I mixed memory modules and it still shows 32GB

Your word "mixed' there stood out to me.

Is this a 64GB(4x16GB) Matched Kit? Or instead two 32GB(2x16GB) non-Matched Kits?

By what you describe it is either one of two things.  The memory, or CPU and or a CPU socket with bad pin(s)

Is it always A1 and B1 that are shown?
blark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 10:23pm
This is a quad channel 4 x 16 gb kit. As I said, I bought it from the QVL to avoid these issues. It is always A1 and B1 that are shown, no matter how I shuffle or mix up the memory. How can it be the memory if when I switch around the modules they seem to work fine? 

I double checked the CPU socket last night and there don't appear to be any bad pins, I also checked the CPU socket at the store with the employee and he didn't see any either. 

blark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 10:35pm
I took some photos for reference purposes: 

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 1:45am
The serial numbers across all four sticks, are they numbered consecutively?
xoanon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xoanon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 7:40pm
Your CPU does not support DDR4 2400 ... Try a different CPU? Perhaps a "E5-1620V4" ... ? And tell me if it works *fg*

blark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 10:05pm
But CPU is fine with underclocking the ram to 2133 for the first 32gb it doesn't seem to make sense that it would only work for half of it and not the other half. 

It seems waaaaaay more likely that something is wrong with the CPU memory controller or motherboard...
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 10:41pm
Using a single stick can you post with the RAM in each individual slot?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by blark blark wrote:

But CPU is fine with underclocking the ram to 2133 for the first 32gb it doesn't seem to make sense that it would only work for half of it and not the other half. 

It seems waaaaaay more likely that something is wrong with the CPU memory controller or motherboard...

I hope your Xeon processor is not locked into the 2133 maximum speed of its spec. But you've tried using it at 2133, correct?

With all 64GB in the board, clear the UEFI/BIOS with the jumper or CLR CMOS button on the board's IO panel. Please do not skip clearing the UEFI/BIOS.

I assume you tried using the XMP profile, but don't do that for this test. Have all the memory timings and speed options set to Auto. All the way at the bottom of the DRAM Configuration screen, find the MRC Fast Boot option, set it to Disabled. Also set the Memory Test option to Enabled. That will allow memory training to occur during POST, but will increase the POST time.

In the FIVR Configuration screen, find the System Agent Voltage Offset option. System Agent voltage is not necessarily better increased, but in your case give it a positive offset of 0.05V - 0.1V.

In the Voltage Configuration screen, increase the DRAM Voltage to 1.25V.

In my experience with X99, the missing memory in Windows, but not in System Browser, CPU-Z, etc, is normally caused by a memory OC or the memory timings being to aggressive.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic