ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

980de?usb3 rev 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry2uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 980de?usb3 rev 2
    Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 5:34am
built new pc using bottom positioned power supply ,having built it found that the 4 pin square atx power cord isnt long enough as its positioned infront of cpu , why wasnt this factored in the design as most psu supplys have same length cords , ive now emailed the case manu , the p;su seller and you , no one wants to accept this failure to communicate whos at fault , cant you position this 4 pin 12 volt atx connector closer to the 24 pin connector as the extra 4 pin atx cord is integrated into the cord for the 24 pin board connector , isnt their any design standards for cases psu and motherbaords , now cant complate this new wslf build til new year as need extension cord for the atx 12 v 4 min square connector and everywhere is closed , even ebay shops cant supply till aft 2nd jan , used asrock boards for over 15 years since the dual sata 939 my first amd build , all intel til then , now im amd only and asrock builder , every couple years to keep up for gaming builds
thnks
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 6:44am
Cheap PSU, short cables.....

The connector is for CPU power and is positioned close to the CPU's power circuitry for a reason. If there is fault it is on the part of the PSU manufacturer and is one of the reasons I never buy cheap PSUs anymore (not for over a decade). In the end it just isn't worth it, you end up having to replace it in less than a year and if you are very unlucky it takes out something else when it dies. 

If memory serves, some early motherboards that first used the extra 4/8 pin connector tried positioning them nearer the 24pin but it resulted in issues with power delivery and instability. I believe you can purchase extension cables for most connectors from the PSU these days.

[edit] Cheaper PSUs are also designed for cheaper cases that still have the power supply at the top of the case, in this situation the short cables are more than long enough. I am guessing your PSU needs to go at the bottom of the case.

Edited by Xaltar - 26 Dec 2016 at 6:45am
terry2uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry2uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 10:26pm
Aerocool vs-92 white case psu at bottom , leaving the atx 4 pin power cable too short , have ordered extension built it yesterday 25th dec of course everywhere that stocks these leads are closed fo several days , i see the reason why its placed close cpu now you have explained , ive regularly ubuilt pcs in last 20 years from desktop intel in 1990s to last build asrock n68ge3 with 4 dimm slots , newer n series only 2 dimm slots at moment , thanks for your quick response , liked look of aerocool vs-92 bored with black cases , didnt realise would have prob with 4 pin atx being to short , last build n68ge3 used alpine 700 psu , 4 years later still a great psu , bought new for this new pc same design diff name now ace 700 wat psu same as the alpine i bought 4 year ago
terry2uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry2uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 10:38pm
ps been build pcs since 1998 with a pentium 1 motherboard intel cpu 2.8 ghz then a 3.2 ghz single core , now multicore 3 core 2.6 amd on said 980de/usb3 asrock mb once tried asus mb that failed aft 15 months in 2003-4 then built a orange coloured tower with asrock 939dual sata 2 mb , still goin with a dualcore cpu fitted 3 years ago , its backup to maiin pc , jes its 10 years old the 939dual sata 2 and still goin built in 2005 , shame its showing its age in bein to slow for most new games , cant bear to part with it though ,shows asrock mb can last 10 years plus and they are related to asus which i dnt like their boards ......tip
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 11:30pm
I still have my old ASRock K7VT6-C, it still works but a single core Athlon XP isn't really good for anything other than a very basic linux box anymore Wink

About 11 years old now. Still love that RAM, pity it's only 1gb Embarrassed
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Still love that RAM, pity it's only 1gb Embarrassed

But is gimmicky blinky blinky .... stuff. LOL

Edited by wardog - 26 Dec 2016 at 11:37pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 11:42pm
Hey, I was in my 20s and LEDs hadn't been done to death yet Tongue
terry2uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry2uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 7:05am
come to conclusion this is a dead board ive received , connected powersuply put in cpu amd 3 x 2.6ghz plugged in speaker , nothing happens no sound from onboard speaker, built it complete into case was dead , shame theirs no light built into this board , bought to replace ge3 boqard which had a small onboard light led at least can tell theirs power , used deparate power supply i kn ow was ok aft used new bought ,so how else can test as no light onboard ,no sound from pc speaker ??  any other tests to decide if dead mb ?? pls any suggestions , dnt like give up without further tests if theirs any more , thnks for viewing / reading
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 7:21am
Fans spin up?

Rear ethernet port light and or blink?
terry2uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry2uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 9:26pm
no n no sir thanks for response
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic