ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASR 970 Pro3 black screen on reboot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravotango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASR 970 Pro3 black screen on reboot
    Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 9:24am
Greetings to all at the ASR forum.

Only just started getting this problem and the more I do the more frustrating it gets.

I am am running Windows 7 on 970 Pro3 MB with NVIDIA GTX 760 graphics card.

I used reboot a lot in the past as a way to fix lagging in windows media center. On initial boot it lags terrible but after a restart the problem is corrected. Now I have resorted to disabling and then enabling the graphics card but it doesn't seem as good as a reboot.

The graphics and keyboard initially load enabling access to BIOS if required and then boots normally. However if I attempt a restart it gets to the shutdown stage and black screen and no keyboard requiring a long press of the power button to fully shut down and then a fresh boot. The fans and power continue butt nothing else. I have tried leaving it for ten minutes in the hope that it is booting windows normally but as I know the key presses to use to shut down I try that and nothing happens. That might be due to dead keyboard because normally the keyboard lights up; It is a Razer Synapse Deathstalker Chroma. On a normal boot the lights on the keyboard and the mouse flash for a second at the same time as the graphics light up.

A further weird problem here is that if I even go into the BIOS and change a setting then exit the BIOS that is also treated similar to a restart and the graphics and keyboard are immediately disabled.

The two most necessary utilities to access the BIOS are graphics and keyboard so this should be controlled by MB and have nothing to do with Windows boot loader. I have reset CMOS twice and set UEFI to default with no change. Occasionally I will get lucky and see an actual successful reset like immediately after resetting the CMOS last time and pressing F1 to load defaults but this is such a rare event now that I have almost given up. Maybe this Razer keyboard is part of the problem.

Please don't mention Windows 10. I will stick with Windows 7 til I die or the PC dies whichever comes first.

ASR 970 Pro3 R2.0, 3.70 ghz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core, 4X4gb G.SKILL memory modules,
NVIDIA GeForce GTX760, Acer K222HQL Monitor 21.7", PSU ANTEC SG-850, Router Billion 7800NXL
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 10:33am
hhehehe I finally consumed the Win10 Kool-Aid.

Replace the CMOS battery, enter the BIOS and Reset to Defaults(rem to write down YOUR changes), Save and Exit, reboot right back into the BIOS.

Post back your results please
bravotango View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravotango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 4:12pm
Thanks for the tip wardog.

Replaced the battery and reset to defaults and did have one successful reboot on exit but subsequent reboots not working. Looks like will have to live with resetting the NVIDIA card which is better than nothing. Strange I couldn't find the battery type until I actually saw it after removing the graphics card and it is still fully charged, three years old but changed it anyway.

My heart pacemaker is nearly due for replacement after ten years.

I also obtained a very cheap Logitech keyboard and that also didn't make any difference.
ASR 970 Pro3 R2.0, 3.70 ghz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core, 4X4gb G.SKILL memory modules,
NVIDIA GeForce GTX760, Acer K222HQL Monitor 21.7", PSU ANTEC SG-850, Router Billion 7800NXL
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 6:53pm
What make and model is your PSU, and how old is it??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravotango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 7:08pm
The PSU is ANTEC SG-850. I think that means 850 watts.

I get a lot of dust but who doesn't. Case needs a hose out at least every three months.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 7:14pm
That Signature PSU goes back a long ways.

How old is it? I find reviews dating 2008.

And I hear ya on living on the Aussie plains / dust bowl.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravotango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 8:18pm
Hello again, the PC is mid 2014. I had dust bowl problems in north west Australia and humidity problems in Papua New Guinea but this dust here is the worst I have seen, on the coast and it's fine black stuff generated by a supermarket shopping lot across the road. I think I should opt for permanent air conditioning to overcome the problem. In air traffic control the technicians used to tell us the air conditioning was not for our comfort but to protect the equipment.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravotango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 7:28am
Only just realized the only thing I haven't tried yet is to update the BIOS with Instant Flash.

There seems to be two choices, improve DRAM or improve UEFI with no explanation of the difference or what to do first. I will go with 'improve UEFI' version and if that doesn't work I will then try the other thing.

Must also get around to detailing all the specs of my PC in the signature which seems a good move.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravotango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 9:36am
That worked like a dream and I feel so dumb. Just went with the UEFI BIOS update and will not bother with the DRAM thing. If it works don't mess with it.
It rebooted twice, once at the end of the Instant Flash process and then again after loading defaults.

To be sure I waited ten minutes for things to settle down and did a restart with fingers crossed and it was perfect.

Who said Santa doesn't come to the bad guys? And thank you wardog for your patience and encouragement. I now have my details in the signature. Great idea.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 10:42am
Great news. Thanks for sharing what worked.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic