ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Memory problem on X99M extreme4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
sparx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Memory problem on X99M extreme4
    Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 3:15pm
Great! Then i can rest assured that my setup seems to work. Thank you for the answers! :)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 2:16pm
Quote Sure, why are those programs immune from errors? CPU-Z may be well respected for many reasons, but it is not automatically free from programming mistakes.

I couldn't agree more. CPUz is not always up to date with new architectures. For example, it is unable to display any information at all on the new Braswell line's "SPD" tab, both CPUz and Speccy show 0 RAM modules installed and CPUz misreads the RAM speed and timings claiming DDR3 1600 is in fact DDR3 3200. While these tools are invaluable in many ways they are not always accurate when it comes to newer technologies. Their programmers need to decipher how to code proper support before the software can be updated. I highly doubt they receive all the coding info about how memory and other features are handled in new architectures from manufacturers, they first have to figure it out.  

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 10:39am
Originally posted by sparx sparx wrote:

Its shown in the lower picture. 

But its 4 pcs of M392A2G40DM0-CPB 16GB RDIMM ECC memory.

Both CPU-Z and Geekbench showing wrong? Yes windows shows it correctly. 

/M

Sure, why are those programs immune from errors? CPU-Z may be well respected for many reasons, but it is not automatically free from programming mistakes.

There is one obvious reason for the mistakes by those programs. X99 CPUs have quad channel memory controllers, and X99 boards may have up to eight DIMM slots for memory, two per channel. Your board has four DIMM slots, one for each channel. Some X99 ITX boards have only two DIMM slots total, so operate in dual channel mode.

It seems those two programs are not detecting (or are not able to detect) the number of DIMM slots per channel, and/or the total number of DIMM slots. It looks like CPU-Z assumes eight DIMM slots, so calculated 8 x 16GB = 128GB.

The Xeon 2011 v3 processors can use up to 768GB (yes, 768GB!) of memory. If they only had eight DIMM slots, that would be eight 96GB DIMMs. Server boards for these processors must have dozens of memory slots, and would baffle CPU-Z too.
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 8:01am
Ignore what any third party software reports, when the board and windows are correct.  If they were wrong, (board, windows ) then you have a problem.

Not sure what,  at one point means. Check your UEFI / BIOS, if the sticks only show as 8g each, then contact tech support and tell them all the info, model numbers and I bet they will send you a updated UEFI so you see the correct memory, but I doubt this is a problem and only a bug for identity and not actual size.  as windows can see all of it. 

After you get a fixed UEFI, rerun CPUz, it will probably report correctly.

Edited by odiebugs - 15 Jul 2015 at 8:08am
asrocking
sparx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 2:25am
Its shown in the lower picture. 

But its 4 pcs of M392A2G40DM0-CPB 16GB RDIMM ECC memory.

Both CPU-Z and Geekbench showing wrong? Yes windows shows it correctly. 

/M
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 2:10am
It looks like CPU-Z has a problem reading the memory information on X99 boards. Windows detects the amount of memory you have correctly.

You did not give us any information about the memory you are using. Do you have two 32GB DIMMs, or what size and number are you using?
sparx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 4:14pm
Here the broken image... 
sparx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 4:10pm
Hi guys.

I seem to have some sort of memory problem. My windows reports 64GB available memory (that is correct )
But if i look in CPU-Z it finds twice the memory. 128GB. 
Also Geekbench seems to think i have 128GB.

Print also with RAMMon that finds SPD information in the right way.

Im running on bios 1.80 that as far as homepage says is latest. 
When looking in BIOS it at one point showed 8GB modules?!

Any ideas?

/M
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic