ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 won't post

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joedr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 won't post
    Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 1:08pm
Dear Forum Members,

My Z170 ITX cannot Post.  The problem occurred when the system attempted to update firmware.  The board asked for an external pendrive to load the firmware (It did with a filename: A1430.ROM) and the screen went blank/black.  Since then, I have not been able to make motherboard to post or boot.  I think that the BIOS is corrupted.

What can I do to source a BIOS Chip?  It is a removable one and I think some other users have done it per my searches on the internet.

Specs:
  • Board: ASRock Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac
  • CPU/Processor (Brand,Speed, FSB,Cache Size): Intel 6700K
  • Memory (Speed, Capacity, Brand); CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 
  • Video Card (Brand, Model, Memory size); none.  Using internal.
  • Operating System (Loaded service pack and driver): Win 10 - 64 Bits
  • Hard Drive (Brand, Model, Capacity): WD 1TB
  • Other Device (Brand, Model) * If necessary

Thanks in advance!

Joed
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by joedr joedr wrote:

Dear Forum Members,

My Z170 ITX cannot Post.  The problem occurred when the system attempted to update firmware.  The board asked for an external pendrive to load the firmware (It did with a filename: A1430.ROM) and the screen went blank/black.  Since then, I have not been able to make motherboard to post or boot.  I think that the BIOS is corrupted.

What can I do to source a BIOS Chip?  It is a removable one and I think some other users have done it per my searches on the internet.

Specs:
  • Board: ASRock Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac
  • CPU/Processor (Brand,Speed, FSB,Cache Size): Intel 6700K
  • Memory (Speed, Capacity, Brand); CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 
  • Video Card (Brand, Model, Memory size); none.  Using internal.
  • Operating System (Loaded service pack and driver): Win 10 - 64 Bits
  • Hard Drive (Brand, Model, Capacity): WD 1TB
  • Other Device (Brand, Model) * If necessary

Thanks in advance!

Joed

I'm sorry to hear you had a problem updating the UEFI firmware. Were you using the Internet Flash feature? Did you have an CPU over clock configured when you used Internet flash? Did you put the USB flash drive into a USB port on the board's IO panel?

It does seem your UEFI/BIOS was corrupted, sorry to say.

Yes, the UEFI chip can be replaced. It is the chip below the four SATA ports.

You can contact ASRock Technical support at the link below. Include the full model name of your board in the form, serail number if you can find it (it is on the box), and explain your situation and that you need a new UEFI/BIOS chip.

http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp
joedr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joedr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 2:25pm
Hi!

Yes!  I was using the Internet Flash feature.  No CPU Overclocking on the board.  I did put the pendrive on the back USB Port.

Already sent a message using the provided link just before posting in here.  Just trying to get the BIOS replaced as soon as possible.  LOL

Thanks for the link.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 6:59pm
Moved from Media Reviews to Tech Support > Intel Motherboards
joedr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joedr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 12:06am
Thanks for the move to the correct section!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic