ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASR 970M Pro 3 Power-up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trenton2728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASR 970M Pro 3 Power-up
    Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 3:02pm
Hi, new to this forum and need some help. I have a new build that will not power up. The fans will spin for 1-2 seconds then stop. Oddly, if I hold down the power and reset button the board will run but as soon as I release the reset button, it dies. It worked on the initial power-up and then would not start again.

Here are the components:
- ASR 970M Pro 3 MOB
- AMD FX8350 With Wraith Cooler
- PSU Thermaltake 850w
- Patriot Viper 3 1600 DDR3 (16G)
- Zotac GEFORCE GTX 1050 video card
- Samsung EVO 250G SSD

I've tried everything I can think of and at my wits end.

- checked for shorts and pulled MOB out and bread boarded on bench
- check PSU using multimeter and paper clip method (24 pin connector)
- changed CMOS battery and reset CMOS jumpers
- tried RAM in different slots using 1 stick, both and none
- video card in and out
- checked power switch by shorting pwrsw jumper with screwdriver

Should I RMA this board or is there something incredibly simple I've overlooked?

Thanks in advance
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 6:55pm
Double check the wiring from the case to the MBs System Panel header
Trenton2728 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trenton2728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 12:00am
I checked the power switch and reset switch with a multimeter and they checked out. It should power up without the LED panel connections right? There no way to verifify these.

I hooked up all of the panel connectors according to the manual and it powered up the first time only. I think it's the power circuit on the MOB. Is there a way to verify this?

Thank
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Trenton2728 Trenton2728 wrote:

I checked the power switch and reset switch with a multimeter and they checked out. It should power up without the LED panel connections right? There no way to verifify these.

I hooked up all of the panel connectors according to the manual and it powered up the first time only. I think it's the power circuit on the MOB. Is there a way to verify this?

Thank

By the LED panel connections, I assume you mean the Power LED connection to the PC case, and the HDD LED connection to the case? If so, they are not required at all for the power switch on the case to function.

Did you notice the polarity of the pins on the Power and Reset pins on System Panel Header? Do the wires from those buttons of the PC case have a + and - indication on them?

There's a very simple way to check if your problem is the mother board, or the switches/wiring on the PC case.

Remove all the connections from the PC case to the System Panel Header. Have the board/PC ready to operate, PSU on, everything else connected so the PC will start.

Use a medium sized blade screwdriver that is just bare metal. Locate the two pins on the System Panel Header for the Power Button connection, which are the two pins on the right side of the four pins in the top row of pins.

Simply short the two pins for the power button momentarily with the screwdriver. DO NOT hold the screwdriver tip across those two pins for long, just a short, fraction of a second connection of the two pins. Maintaining the short circuit won't hurt anything, but shorting them for too long can cause a shutdown signal to occur.

The PC should start and run after shorting the two pins momentarily.
Trenton2728 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trenton2728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 3:32am
I tried that and the fans begin to move but as soon as I remove the screwdriver the system shuts down, it will not stay running.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic