ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommended RAM for non-Z DDR4 overclock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janas19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommended RAM for non-Z DDR4 overclock
    Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 9:07am
I will be building a Mini-ITX PC that uses the Intel HD 530 iGPU and ASRock's H110M-ITX motherboard. Because of the iGPU sharing memory bandwidth, it's important to have higher memory speeds when gaming. The memory support list isn't clear which modules support XMP, can anyone make a suggestion?

Edited by janas19 - 29 Dec 2016 at 9:41am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 11:14am
Most if not all current memory has XMP programmed onto their SPD chip.

Consider ASRock's Memory QVL as a starting point. The QVL's represent what ASRock had in-house of memory at the time of pre-production. There is no way humanly possible for a MB manufacturer to keep current a QVL considering the rampant expansion of DDR4 P/N's and kits. Now the memory manuf's have some serious skin in the game to sell you their products after you've chosen a motherboard.

Using the mem manuf's links below you're guaranteed they have tested those displayed as they have deemed compatible.

Use the below tools to find compatible memory for your motherboard.

http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/memory-finder

https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/Options

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/advisor?cm_re=top-nav-_-flyout-memory-_-us-memory-advisor

janas19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janas19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 11:49am
Thank you! This is great info.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any ASRock H110/H170 motherboards on the manufacturers lists which are compatible with 2400/2666 speed DDR4. I did, however, find that the ASUS H170i-Pro is listed as compatible with Kingston HyperX 2666 DDR4. 

I guess that means ASRock's non-Z overclock isn't officially supported by ASRock, and it's only a beta function. That is sad, I was hoping to support ASRock by purchasing one of their motherboards, but I don't believe they support the features I am looking for.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by janas19 janas19 wrote:

I guess that means ASRock's non-Z overclock isn't officially supported by ASRock, and it's only a beta function. That is sad, I was hoping to support ASRock by purchasing one of their motherboards, but I don't believe they support the features I am looking for.

BETA function? You're kidding there, right? If you aren't kidding, that is sad.

janas19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janas19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 12:37pm
Nope, I'm not kidding.

The Kingston HyperX website's memory finder shows the ASUS H110i-Plus, MSI H110i, and Gigabyte GA-H110N as compatible with their HyperX Fury 2666 DDR4, which I assume means the XMP profile speed. But when I search for the ASRock H170M-ITX, it only shows 2133 DDR4 HyperX Fury as compatible.

Hopefully, someone at ASRock can clear this up, because right now it looks like their product isn't officially supported by HyperX XMP.
janas19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janas19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 12:43pm
As an aside, I have used ASRock motherboards for my last two PCs and I have been very impressed by the price/performance ratio ASRock offered. However, assuming I cannot find a non-Z LGA 1151 Mini-ITX board that officially supports 2666 DDR4, I will be forced to choose a different motherboard manufacturer this time around. Cry
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 1:30pm
This is ME speaking, not ASRock.

You're talking Mini-ITX!

There just isn't the real estate to put even a half fledged VRM section on mITX boards to support much CPU oc'ing, nm memory oc'ing..

I wish you luck in your search and even more luck your way in getting a mITX to much over what the memory manufacturers themselves have found to be reliable enough for them to recommend and maybe more importantly, for them to comfortably stand behind in/while offering Support and Warranties.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 1:32pm
And I do understand what features you're looking for. It's just that ...........
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic