ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAID Setup Menu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eComposer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I'm glad you have it working now. I have a feeling either clearing the UEFI/BIOS and then doing the UEFI option configuration, or setting them and applying them via Save and Exit, made the difference.

Regarding documenting the procedure for creating the RAID 0 array of NVMe SSDs, did you happen to see this:

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/RAID/X99%20Taichi/English.pdf

While it might not have every last detail about the Windows installation, it has all of the RAID 0 configuration information.

IMO, Samsung and Microsoft, the manufactures of the SSD and the OS software, should provide information about installing Windows on their products, in various scenarios. I don't think it is fair to place all the responsibility for that on the mother board manufacture.

Parsec:

Noted and partially agreed that Microsoft, Intel and Samsung should also provide detailed information on the windows installation steps, but surely it would be easy to incorporate this in the ASRock documentation.

Interestingly I think it was the doc in the link, or one like it that I used for the UEFI steps to set up the Array, not a problem.  The step involving using the right Intel RAID driver and how to do this correctly was unclear, and frankly your and a couple of other sources were the only ones that spelt this out clearly. 
Also, including your knowledge of not swapping between RAID and AHCI was beneficial, as was the advice to clear the CMOS surely cannot be that arduous for ASRock?  Just helps to make things clear.  Otherwise it's the wild west as it is now where there are multiple different docs out there saying very different things, and many are often misleading...  Just saying.  :)

Anyway, thanks for the pointers, I'm up and running, so no more frustration on that front at least!  :)
Brenner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 9:47am
I have an Asrock Z170 OC Formula motherboard that I'm trying to set up with a pair of Samsumg 960 EVO SSDs in a Raid 0 configuration.

I have followed all of the instructions on this forum and I am able to get all the way to where the Windows setup process recognizes my Raid drive, but at this point Widows gives me a message that it is unable to partition the drive as a boot drive, and I'm stuck.

This is extremely frustrating!

Can anyone offer me some advice as to what I do now?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Brenner Brenner wrote:

I have an Asrock Z170 OC Formula motherboard that I'm trying to set up with a pair of Samsumg 960 EVO SSDs in a Raid 0 configuration.

I have followed all of the instructions on this forum and I am able to get all the way to where the Windows setup process recognizes my Raid drive, but at this point Widows gives me a message that it is unable to partition the drive as a boot drive, and I'm stuck.

This is extremely frustrating!

Can anyone offer me some advice as to what I do now?

Yes, we need to discover what you've missed or if a mistake was made. Or do you think there is something broken or not working correctly?

Virtually no information provided, so let the questions begin...

What utility or feature did you use to create the RAID 0 array?

Installing Windows ???? from a USB flash drive? If so, what was the entry in the boot order for the USB flash drive installation media?

Are you doing a Custom Windows installation?

Did you install the IRST 15.2 F6/"SATA Floppy Image" driver from your board's download page during the Windows installation? If you did not use version 15.2, what version did you use?

Did you attempt to format the RAID 0 array in Windows? Or was the formatting (attempted) automatically during the Windows installation?

I have a RAID 0 array of 960 EVOs as the Windows volume on a similar ASRock board, so it is possible to do.
Brenner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 9:35pm
Hi, thanks for your help...

I created the RAID drive using the BIOS. There was only one way to do it that I could see.

I used a bootable USB flash drive with a windows ISO on it. It was listed as the default boot device.

I used the custom windows installation.

I used the IRST 15.2 F6/"SATA Floppy Image" driver from my board's download page. It was version 15.2.

In the windows installation I tried using the format command, and then partioning the drive. Windows did not proceed automatically. It gave me a message telling me that it was unable to use the RAID drive as a bootable drive due to hardware limitations, and it was unable to partition the drive.

Everything worked fine right up until the point where I needed Windows to install itself on the Raid drive.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic