ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

N3150 becomes inaccessible

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hornetster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: N3150 becomes inaccessible
    Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 5:52pm
Have recently purchased a Beebox N3150 as an HTPC system. Seems to work OK for live TV etc, but it's network capabilities at this point are very disappointing.
Have install Linux Mint (if I could figure out how to get the version, I would tell you - thnk it's 18 x64), and running Kodi (latest stable) and all seems OK within Kodi/Mint, but trying to access remotely basically won't work, be it connected to ethernet or wifi.
After a fresh boot, can access using ssh/smb/teamviewer, but after running for a while it seems to disappear off the network. Kodi interface still works OK...
Anyone have any ideas? Doesn't seem to be thrashing process/network/disk, just seems to become inaccessible/unusable remotely.
Thanks.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 11:51am
First, if you have specific requirements from a PC, such as remote network access, you really must know the PC is capable of it. A budget, all in one PC like this is not designed for every type of usage. Checking the networking capabilities of a PC or mother board would be essential for that type of usage.

For example, the N3150 SoC (System on a Chip) used in the Beebox does not have a built in Intel networking chip. That is a disadvantage from the start for remote network access.

I've been trying to identify the network hardware in the Beebox N3150, but there are three versions of it. They are the N3150-NUC Barebone, N3150-NUC With and Without OS. Which one do you have?

The specifications for these PCs is not very technical, as their intended users are more interested in using it as entertainment than as a configurable device for other uses. So I cannot easily determine what networking hardware is included in these PCs.

If you had Windows installed, a quick trip to Device Manager would answer many questions about what the networking hardware is, and its capabilities. Since you have a mystery version of Linux installed (how can you not know what version you downloaded and installed, will that cause grief discovering what networking hardware is used on the board? You need to identify each of the several Networking devices the board has.

It seems to have an unnamed Realtek networking chip for a wired connection, and an Intel wireless WiFi card. Each has an driver installation file. Since your are using Linux, the driver are different. You need to extract the networking capabilites they each have, and how it can be configured. Only then can we comment upon what may be done. Using Linux limts us here since we doen't know it well.

Can you get clear hardware information about the network hardware in the board from Linux, and post it here. We may then be able to help you with it, or determine it is not capable of your usage case.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 1:00pm
Pull down the Hardware Ids from Dev Mgr > Properties and post what's displayed.

FWIW I just spent quality time with Google concerning what it is and I find Realtek RTL8168 when it is mentioned with specifics.

I know it's a Realtek as that's what the N3150 NUC has for a LAN driver download under Win10x64 anyways.

HTH

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by hornetster hornetster wrote:

Have install Linux Mint (if I could figure out how to get the version, I would tell you - thnk it's 18 x64) ........

That isn't very comforting to know that you don't know just what OS is installed. Confused

If it is the Realtek RTL8168 that's on the N3150 then I imagine there is a built in driver for it as the 8168 is a well distributed chip.

You should determine the version and then browse the Mint forums to check that the 8168 is supported. Without bugs.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic