ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 12:37am
I would imagine so, I see no jumper or switch on the board. Without actually experiencing a fault I can't test that. I will get in touch with tech support and inquire. If it is an automated process I heartily approve, most users are not comfortable poking around inside their systems and this would alleviate the need almost entirely.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I will update as soon as I have more info.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 7:51am
UPDATE!

ASRock have released a new version of the ASRock Aura RGB software and it works BRILLIANTLY!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 4:00pm
Main review updated with details on the new Aura RGB software.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by no1yak no1yak wrote:

You spoke of the Bios having two chips but, no switch. Does that mean that if a fault occurs that it will switch to Bios "B" without any intervention for the user. Shame that the chips are soldered.

Regarding the dual UEFI/BIOS feature, I believe the manual has an error about the switch that has been traditionally used to select the A or B UEFI chips.

The switch labeled XMP Switch in reality should be the UEFI/BIOS A/B selection switch. The location of this switch, adjacent to the Clear CMOS jumper, is a clue about its purpose.

I have several ASRock boards with the dual UEFI/BIOS feature, and they use the same style of switch on this board for that purpose.

The XMP switch feature is unusual, and in the past has only been found on the ASRock OC Formula boards. I would be surprised to find that feature on a gaming type board.

I may be wrong about this, and will look into it myself as well.

About the non-socketed UEFI/BIOS chips, there is a simple reason they are now being used. The DIP chips that can be used in a socket are no longer being manufactured. As with most electronic components, chips like this are now manufactured in the surface mount style only. The demand for the standard chips is so low that it is no longer feasible to continue their production. ASRock, and the other mother board manufactures, can't get these chips anymore.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 10:42pm
Good point about the XMP switch. I will give that a look too.

I believe I mentioned the socketed ROMs being discontinued. Its a sad fact but understandable. I have not noticed any UEFI freezing or issues with the unsocketed ROM, I can't help but wonder if the SMT ROM is more efficient and has lower latency. My point is, I think it may even be better for stability in the UEFI.
no1yak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no1yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

You spoke of the Bios having two chips but, no switch. Does that mean that if a fault occurs that it will switch to Bios "B" without any intervention for the user. Shame that the chips are soldered.

Regarding the dual UEFI/BIOS feature, I believe the manual has an error about the switch that has been traditionally used to select the A or B UEFI chips.

The switch labeled XMP Switch in reality should be the UEFI/BIOS A/B selection switch. The location of this switch, adjacent to the Clear CMOS jumper, is a clue about its purpose.

I have several ASRock boards with the dual UEFI/BIOS feature, and they use the same style of switch on this board for that purpose.

The XMP switch feature is unusual, and in the past has only been found on the ASRock OC Formula boards. I would be surprised to find that feature on a gaming type board.

I may be wrong about this, and will look into it myself as well.

About the non-socketed UEFI/BIOS chips, there is a simple reason they are now being used. The DIP chips that can be used in a socket are no longer being manufactured. As with most electronic components, chips like this are now manufactured in the surface mount style only. The demand for the standard chips is so low that it is no longer feasible to continue their production. ASRock, and the other mother board manufactures, can't get these chips anymore.

Hi, Just got this board and the XMP switch does what is says in the manual. No Bios switch, so back to my original question- how does it go from Bios A to B ?

Running the Z270 with a Skylake 6700K(why I hear you ask) The board was a replacement for my RMA'ed Gaming Pro i7 cos there was none in stock. Works well, nice and stable, LED lighting nice but not really my thing, haven't got a windowed case.

Compares nicely to my Asus Z170-WS which also has a 6700K.  

Edited by no1yak - 15 Jan 2017 at 10:53pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 12:32am
I will be contacting ASRock Tech Support about the BIOS switching tomorrow, I will post back when I know more Wink

I tested the XMP switch myself and yes, it is exactly that, an XMP enable/disable switch. 

The quality of the board is brilliant for it's price, I am sure you will enjoy it.
no1yak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no1yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 5:39am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I will be contacting ASRock Tech Support about the BIOS switching tomorrow, I will post back when I know more Wink

I tested the XMP switch myself and yes, it is exactly that, an XMP enable/disable switch. 

The quality of the board is brilliant for it's price, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Did you find out about how the Bios switches from A to B?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 6:25am
The B BIOS is for Backup purposes only.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 3:34pm

Did you find out about how the Bios switches from A to B?

I am waiting on a reply, when I know I will post the information. 

Edited by Xaltar - 20 Jan 2017 at 3:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic