ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deskmini110 vs a NUC??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
alinescoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alinescoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 11:50pm
Thank you for your answer. I intend, at least fist to use the stock cooler and I am worried on how noisy it is.

Looking at prices, the it 6700 is about 50% more expensive than i5 6600. 
i7 6700T is a bit more expensive than 6700 and I don't know if it comes with a cooler or not...
i5 6500T is about the same price as i5 6600

So really, on the CPU, a i7 6700T seems more expensive than the regular 6700 and low on freq. Plus, a cooler if it's not included... 

A DeskMini 110 + i5 6600 + 16 GB RAM + SSD 960 EVO 250 GB is cheaper than the Skull Canyon barebone alone. I could almost add 50-80$ and get a i7 6700. So really, the price to pay for GPU is quite a lot and not sure if its performance it's worth. 

I am a bit concerned about the GPU on regular intel CPU, if it performs regular tasks well, 4k video, screen sizes bigger than 1440p...

At the moment  I have a i5 3350p which I believe is Ivy Bridge and 8 GB RAM and I can't say that it's a slow system during my development. I do run out of memory at times, and when using Android Studio + emulator running, the CPU gets to 100% during compile but other than that during coding with emulator running stays at 20-40%.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 11:29pm
There are some impressive small form factor CPU coolers that will work with the Desk Mini. Personally I would go for a T variant unless you actually need the raw power of the standard 6700. The Desk Mini will wipe the floor with the Skull Canyon when it comes to computational tasks (with the i7 6700) given both a higher operating frequency and larger cache. If graphics are important to you then the 6770HQ in the Skull Canyon does come with a fairly significantly more powerful iGPU in the form of iris pro. The Iris Pro performs about on par with AMD's A10 7XXX integrated graphics or slightly slower than an R7 250. 

The i7 6700k will work just fine in the desk mini, the stock cooler may be a little on the loud side under load. I would recommend a small form factor cooler from the likes of Noctua. Ultimately it comes down to what is more important to you, CPU or GPU performance? The desk mini has my vote for a work machine but if you plan on gaming on it then you will find the NUC will do much better. If gaming is not a concern at all then the Desk mini should be your choice hands down. The integrated graphics on the 6700 is more than up to any non gaming task. I have even used my 6600k (sans GPU) to work in applications like Zbrush without issues.
alinescoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alinescoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 11:04pm
I am a developer and primarily using the PC to software development. I want a compact machine that sits on my desktop and it's small and silent.
So far I have come across 2 barebones which may (or may not :) ) deliver what I need.

Intel Skull Canyon + very compact
+ good CPU, from what I've read the performance is about -20% fron i7 6700 desktop CPU
+ good GPU, at least better than the one in desktop CPUs
- some reviews say that is loud and noisy and I plan on having it on my desk, near my monitor
- temperatures seem to be too high even on idle, speaking from reviews
- expensive

AsRock Deskmini 110 mini-stx system
+ possibility to add a desktop CPU up to 65W TDP with stock or maybe aftermaket cooler
+ better cooling
- slower GPU, not a Iris Pro
- good price

Beside the barebone, there will be:
- 16 GB SoDimm DDR4
- Samsung 960 EVO M2 PCIe SSD 250 GB

In the AsRock I can throw even a 65W TDP dektop CPU but I am not sure how the stock cooler would handle the heat. Also there are other alternatives like i7 6700T or i5 6500T.  Since the stock cooler seems to fit into the case, how well will it cool the CPU and how noisy it is? If I get a i7 6700 65W will the cooler struggle to cool it and be noisy because the high rotations?

The bottom line is, how noisy is deskmini in case of using a i7? Is   T CPU needed?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic