ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deskmini110 vs a NUC??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alinescoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 11:33pm
I actually still have the sandy bridge cooler in a box somewhere as I am using True Spirit cooler.. Thanks for pointing it out. I was with the impression that each new version comes with better coolers..

I guess the advantage of T series would be because of low TDP, the cooler would have less heat to dissipate, making it run at lower rpm. The advantage of S CPU, would be speed because of higher clock rates. 

On my PC, I have vents to make the air flow, but on DeskMini since it only has the CPU cooler, I am a bit worried, on using regular CPU, that it would be a problem to dissipate heat, especially with the i7.

As for SSD, the 960 EVO PCI-E x4 has a read speed maxed at 3200 MB/s. Does the motherboard and CPU choice, limit in some way the performance of the SSD?

alinescoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alinescoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:49pm
Now that the new Kaby Lake is out, I have a few options to choose from:

i7 7700 vs i7 7700T vs i5 7600 vs i5 7600T vs maybe i3 7320

The really main question for me now is use a T or a regular CPU. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 8:23am
Originally posted by alinescoo alinescoo wrote:

Now that the new Kaby Lake is out, I have a few options to choose from:

i7 7700 vs i7 7700T vs i5 7600 vs i5 7600T vs maybe i3 7320

The really main question for me now is use a T or a regular CPU. 

Intel does not include a CPU cooler only for the 'K' processor models, all the other models have a CPU cooler in the box.

If the question is between a T model and the standard processors, then let's compare them and include what your priorities are for a CPU in making the decision.

I'll compare the i7-7700 and i7-7700T. Both seem to have the same price. Both are four core, eight thread processors. They have the same suggested retail price, by Intel. You may need to search more for someone that sells the T processor, as they are more unusual.

The i7-7700 has a TDP of 65W, and i7-7700T has a TDP of 35W. The i7-7700T will run cooler an use less power. But the max CPU temperature of the i7-7700T processor is 80C, and 100C for the i7-7700.

The i7-7700's base clock speed is 3.6GHz, Turbo up to 4.2GHz, and i7-7700T base clock is 2.9GHz, Turbo up to 3.8GHz. The i7-7700 will be faster compiling code than the i7-7700T.

Both processors will allow any M.2 SSD to operate at its full speed, they have the same PCIe 3.0 x4 interface for the M.2 slot.

You plan on using the DeskMini 110 PC, which is a nice small PC, but being small it can't cool the CPU as well as a large PC case with a bigger CPU cooler and more fans. That seems to be a compromise you have decided to stay with. You are also worried about noise and CPU temperature.

You must decide what is most important to you, in an order from most to least important.

Over heating will not be a problem with either CPU. If they reach 60 - 70C during a compile, that does not hurt the CPU. The faster CPU will get its work done faster than a slower CPU, so will be at a higher temperature for less time.

While this made add more confusion to your choice, I would not discount the i7-6700 Skylake processor. It is well known now that the i7-7700 processor does not have any improvement in performance, besides the slightly higher 200MHz base and Turbo speeds. If you can find an i7-6700 for less money than the I7-7700, you won't be missing anything except for a slight improvement in the integrated graphics.

If it was my PC with the same purpose as yours, I would get the i7-7700 or i7-6700. I would compromise the noise difference for faster compile times. I would also locate the DeskMini away from my work area as much as possible, to prevent any CPU cooler fan noise from bothering me. Also, when you are compiling, as I used to do in my job, that was break time for me, and I would walk away from the keyboard and monitor. If the noise level, which should only be an issue during a long compile, was too much, I would get a different CPU cooler. You can always adjust the CPU cooler's fan to not run as fast at higher CPU temperatures. As long as you stay about 20C under the maximum CPU temperature, nothing will be damaged. You have more temperature headroom with non-T processors.

The only advantage I see for the T processor is it will need less cooling, and be quieter in general. Other than that, the non-T processors are better in performance, lower compile times, and can handle higher temperatures.

In the end, only you can know and decide what factors have priority over others. My advice, since getting the "wrong" processor is not something you can easily replace (unless you are willing to sell it used for some loss), determine your priorities clearly and don't change your mind.

Don't forget your choice of the DeskMini 110 affects all your other decisions. If you can't feel confident about a top level decision like that, you'll never be happy with the other decisions you make.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 2:59pm
Well said Parsec!

Performance>Heat>Noise = 7700
Noise>Performance>Heat = 7700
Noise>Heat>Performance = 7700T
Heat>Noise>Performance = 7700T

etc

Breaking down your priorities in this way will ultimately ensure you are happy with your purchase. In your situation, given you will be using the system for coding/compiling I would go with the 7700 not the T, as Parsec noted, you can always take a break during a long compile and the stock intel coolers are not all that noisy, nothing at all compared to my Thermaltake Frio OCK at 100% fans....
alinescoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alinescoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 5:19pm
Thank you very muchj @parsec for your detailed analysis, you've made it more clear.
Thank you @Xaltar  
As a side note, on my current PC, the compile of my most important project takes from 10-20 seconds

After reading all and thinking of my priorities, seems that i7 7700 is the best choice.
i5 may also be a strong candidate as looking at some sites,  between i5 3350p and i5 7500 there's a 30% performance difference

I may wait a little longer and get DeskMini GTX, as it seems to have the best of both worlds: small size, silent and separate GPU. 

Edited by alinescoo - 11 Jan 2017 at 5:27pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 5:24pm
I am drooling all over my keyboard right now. How did I not know this yet?
alinescoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alinescoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 5:28pm
:) interesting that AsRock did not have a announce around here somewhere.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 5:37pm
CES just ended and as is always the case with CES, manufacturers use it to showcase future products. I am sure we will see announcements once the product is finalized. It is worth baring in mind that in many cases these products are prototypes and may never come to market. That said, I don't think that will be the case here. The new Desk Mini RX/GTX look to be perfect for the market given the rise in interest regarding micro form factor PCs. Portable VR ready desktop anyone?
alinescoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alinescoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 6:16pm
I was wondering. a MXM card, will it come from AsRock so basically that MXM card has everything it needs, cooler, 1060 Graphic Card, all added ? Or the buyer need to get a separate graphics card, after getting the barebone?

Edited by alinescoo - 11 Jan 2017 at 6:16pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:14pm
I am afraid I can't provide that information. That will only be made known when the product goes to market. I would think there will probably be multiple options available much like with the current Desk Mini.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic