ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

970A-G/3.1 M.2 Slot~

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 970A-G/3.1 M.2 Slot~
    Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 6:50am
So my OCZ RD400 is still showing up in windows only when it feels like it. Toshiba seems to tell me that I need NVMe support to use the drive tho I'm not really sure that's exactly what he said....will Paste in the reply below ..but I'm just not sure why it does show up at all? I was able to load a program onto it with no issues..
   After reading the reply a 3rd time they say that while my M.2 slot is PCIe and not SATA based which is good, but that I do need the NVMe support. If that's the case why does it ever show up?...showing 100 pct healthy with no warning / alerts , driver and firmware up to date according to the OCZ ssd utility , benchmarks at 1.4g read 1.1g write ...

970A-G/3.1 FX8320e EVGA GTX1070SC 2x8g pny 1866 ddr3 Corsair CX750M Carbide series spec01
R7 1700x, X370 Taichi, EVGA GTX 1070 Hybrid,16g Corair 3200 vengeance LPX , Corsair 750w psu , TT view 27
Torakk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 6:42am
Soooooo......anyone here care to school Asrock tech support a lil bit?
      I simply asked if they would confirm if my board does or does not have NVMe support nothing more...gave them all the info they wanted MB serial # etc...
      First reply : "Yes it is support it. Please see attachment."
Said attachment was a pic of a uefi opened to the Advanced NVMe configuration page with an RD400 shown....of course it was a Fatal1ty uefi setup utility...wtf???
      I reply back "That is not my uefi version...my board is a 970A-G/3.1 Bios vers P1.20, your attachment is from a Fatal1ty board...
      His reply " We have tested it and you can check under the advanced tab\NVMe configuration of your 970A-G/3.1 m/b.
      I reply back again "I have no such choice / option / setting like you have shown ,is there another bios vers I could be using?
      His Reply " Thanks for the information. Apparently,bios 1.20 is what we tested with, if you still not able to get the OCZRD400 to detected, I would suggest you both item (M.2 and M/B) both exchange from your retailer store.

As one of you all mentioned, each bios vers is specific to each board ...Is tech support not aware of this as well???
...and I know the internet and proper grammar don't mix...but his replies I typed out word for word...
970A-G/3.1 FX8320e EVGA GTX1070SC 2x8g pny 1866 ddr3 Corsair CX750M Carbide series spec01
R7 1700x, X370 Taichi, EVGA GTX 1070 Hybrid,16g Corair 3200 vengeance LPX , Corsair 750w psu , TT view 27
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Torakk Torakk wrote:

So my OCZ RD400 is still showing up in windows only when it feels like it. Toshiba seems to tell me that I need NVMe support to use the drive tho I'm not really sure that's exactly what he said....will Paste in the reply below ..but I'm just not sure why it does show up at all? I was able to load a program onto it with no issues..
   After reading the reply a 3rd time they say that while my M.2 slot is PCIe and not SATA based which is good, but that I do need the NVMe support. If that's the case why does it ever show up?...showing 100 pct healthy with no warning / alerts , driver and firmware up to date according to the OCZ ssd utility , benchmarks at 1.4g read 1.1g write ...

Please read my entire post before having any reactions, I can't explain things in a few words or sentences. I'm also working from a limited set of resources, but I have a lot of experience working with NVMe SSDs and using them as the Windows/OS drive. I also have an OCZ RD400.

I can't comment on what is happening with support, except they probably don't have access to UEFI pictures of an NVMe SSD connected to your board.

The other problem is, as I have seen for myself, the specifications for your board do not say it has NVMe support. Not in the Overview, or Specifications section of your board's information page. The manual also does not include that information. Please stay with me here, I'm not done.

ASRock has AMD 970 chipset boards that have NVMe support, specifically stated in a UEFI/BIOS update. The Fatal1ty 970 Performance/3.1 is an example of that. IMO, that information is missing by mistake in your board's documentation.

Let me spell this out for you, not because you necessarily need this, but these are the facts about using an NVMe SSD with any mother board.

All of the following assumes the board has an appropriate interface for the M.2 SSD, which your board has, or can be created by using an adapter card, M.2 to PCIe in this case.

"NVMe Support" in a board's UEFI/BIOS is required ONLY when an NVMe SSD is used as the Windows/OS drive. No NVMe support in the BIOS, and an NVMe SSD will never boot an OS, period.

An NVMe SSD can be used in any mother board as a data drive, as long as an NVMe driver is installed by the user, or an NVMe driver is included in the OS being used. Windows 7 does NOT have a built in NVMe driver, while Windows 8.1 and 10 have an NVMe driver. An NVMe SSD must have an NVMe driver installed in or native to the OS installed on the PC it is being used in. That is a separate requirement from NVMe support in the BIOS. NVMe support in the BIOS is not required for an NVMe SSD to be used as a data drive.

Which brings me to your statement, "... my OCZ RD400 is still showing up in windows only when it feels like it."

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

It sounds like you do NOT have an OS installed on the RD400, is that right? "... showing up in windows only when it feels like it", tells me it is not the OS drive. You have Windows installed on another drive in the PC where the RD400 is, correct?

I'll assume your RD400 is simply a data drive, until I'm told otherwise.

You're saying that after a cold boot, or restart of the PC, sometimes your RD400 is recognized, and other times it isn't, correct?

In the BIOS, the main place to check for the RD400 is in the Tools, System Browser screen. When you start System Browser, the RD400 should be immediately shown, and if you put the mouse pointer on it, it will say, "Mass storage device", or something similar.

Can you tell us, when the RD400 does not appear in Windows, did you check that it was recognized in System Browser? Was it shown in System Browser, but not in Windows?

I assume the RD400 was formatted and being used, given your post. I recall your thread about your RD400 a while ago. I think you are using the M.2 slot, since you don't have the version with the adapter card. I don't remember what version of Windows you were using.

Can you explain in more detail when and how often your RD400 seems to disappear?

All I can suggest to you at this point is to clear the UEFI/BIOS, if you've never done that since you started using your RD400. I would also reinstall it in the M.2 slot, meaning removing it and carefully insert it again. My RD400 is just a data drive in my ASRock Z170 board, and I have never had any issue with it not appearing in Windows, never.

Torakk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 10:13am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by Torakk Torakk wrote:

Please read my entire post before having any reactions, I can't explain things in a few words or sentences. I'm also working from a limited set of resources, but I have a lot of experience working with NVMe SSDs and using them as the Windows/OS drive. I also have an OCZ RD400.

I can't comment on what is happening with support, except they probably don't have access to UEFI pictures of an NVMe SSD connected to your board.

The other problem is, as I have seen for myself, the specifications for your board do not say it has NVMe support. Not in the Overview, or Specifications section of your board's information page. The manual also does not include that information. Please stay with me here, I'm not done.

ASRock has AMD 970 chipset boards that have NVMe support, specifically stated in a UEFI/BIOS update. The Fatal1ty 970 Performance/3.1 is an example of that. IMO, that information is missing by mistake in your board's documentation.

Let me spell this out for you, not because you necessarily need this, but these are the facts about using an NVMe SSD with any mother board.

All of the following assumes the board has an appropriate interface for the M.2 SSD, which your board has, or can be created by using an adapter card, M.2 to PCIe in this case.

"NVMe Support" in a board's UEFI/BIOS is required ONLY when an NVMe SSD is used as the Windows/OS drive. No NVMe support in the BIOS, and an NVMe SSD will never boot an OS, period.

An NVMe SSD can be used in any mother board as a data drive, as long as an NVMe driver is installed by the user, or an NVMe driver is included in the OS being used. Windows 7 does NOT have a built in NVMe driver, while Windows 8.1 and 10 have an NVMe driver. An NVMe SSD must have an NVMe driver installed in or native to the OS installed on the PC it is being used in. That is a separate requirement from NVMe support in the BIOS. NVMe support in the BIOS is not required for an NVMe SSD to be used as a data drive.

Which brings me to your statement, "... my OCZ RD400 is still showing up in windows only when it feels like it."

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

It sounds like you do NOT have an OS installed on the RD400, is that right? "... showing up in windows only when it feels like it", tells me it is not the OS drive. You have Windows installed on another drive in the PC where the RD400 is, correct?

"Correct Not my Windows 10 OS drive"

I'll assume your RD400 is simply a data drive, until I'm told otherwise.

"Yup just data"

You're saying that after a cold boot, or restart of the PC, sometimes your RD400 is recognized, and other times it isn't, correct?

"Exactly, totally random"

In the BIOS, the main place to check for the RD400 is in the Tools, System Browser screen. When you start System Browser, the RD400 should be immediately shown, and if you put the mouse pointer on it, it will say, "Mass storage device", or something similar.

Can you tell us, when the RD400 does not appear in Windows, did you check that it was recognized in System Browser? Was it shown in System Browser, but not in Windows?

"Has never appeared in System browser even if it was shown in Windows before and after going to UEFI"

I assume the RD400 was formatted and being used, given your post. I recall your thread about your RD400 a while ago. I think you are using the M.2 slot, since you don't have the version with the adapter card. I don't remember what version of Windows you were using.

"Correct Formatted and loaded a game onto it , I did get an Asus Addin card for the 990 board and it also seemed to disappear after it was installed but I did not format it that time and it never returned, left card in for a week+ , I have removed , reinstalled the drive, reset bios to default, used repair function on NVMe driver install from Toshiba.

Can you explain in more detail when and how often your RD400 seems to disappear?

Hard to explain totally random

All I can suggest to you at this point is to clear the UEFI/BIOS, if you've never done that since you started using your RD400. I would also reinstall it in the M.2 slot, meaning removing it and carefully insert it again. My RD400 is just a data drive in my ASRock Z170 board, and I have never had any issue with it not appearing in Windows, never.

Torakk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 10:26am
Sorry for that mess....im gonna assume I got a bum drive and will contact Toshiba again, assuming they don't insist that I need a board with the NVMe support , as a last resort I will try it on the add in card in my 970 and see what happens for a day or two
Torakk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 10:36am
Oops and if I missed it I am trying to use it in the M.2 slot and again I have never seen the M.2 slot say anything but EMPTY in the System browser , I had seen someone else with a similar issue before I made this post and saw you mention that feature
Torakk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 11:37am
Oh and the actual word I got from Toshiba was this :

"Please verify your system board manufacturer site for the latest BIOS update for NVMe support. Make sure that NVMe is actually supported. Your board specs specifically state that this is not a SATA M.2 platform, that is the very distinction that we are looking for. However, it has to specifically have an NVMe support capability. And only the manufacturer site has the confirmation. I would also try configuring the BIOS to boot UEFI.
This support case also requires the product serial number as well as your complete shipping address for RMA purposes..
V/R
Roland Montalban - Global Support Representative
OCZ Storage Solutions - www.ocz.com
(408)733-8400 ext. 362
roland.m@ocz.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic