ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Solved] PCIe Gen 3 4x not working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydstime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Solved] PCIe Gen 3 4x not working
    Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 5:52am
So I am having trouble with getting my PCIe 3 x4 to work. There is no option in BIOS, that I have found, to force my second slot to run as PCIe Gen 3. I have a PM961 128 drive, but my read speeds are around 1200 mbs and my write speeds are 800 mbs. It should be twice that. Samsung Magician is showing link speed as 5gbs 10 gbs Max. It should be 10 and 10. Any help would be appreciated... EDIT: I have a 970m Pro3 with FX-6300, AMD HD7970 in second PCIe slot and SYBA M.2 PCIe to PCIe3.0 x4 adapter in my third PCIe slot. The PCIe3 x1 slot is empty. Drive in the Syba is a PM961 128 GB.

Edited by floydstime - 08 Jan 2017 at 5:56am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 6:05am
AM3+ boards are PCIe 2.0, there is no option for 3.0 because the chipset does not support it.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 6:53am
Also, one PCIe 3.0 lane is 8Gbps maximum, not 10Gbps. Four PCIe 3.0 lanes is 32Gbps.
floydstime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydstime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

AM3+ boards are PCIe 2.0, there is no option for 3.0 because the chipset does not support it.
 For sure not true... sorry http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FXGEN3_R20/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydstime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 8:46am
I do not agree with this either, because before I reinstalled windows it was stating 5gbs 10 gbs max on the pcie link, plus I have found several other people running pcie successfully with 10gbs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydstime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 9:02am
Why is this marked as solved... its not solved.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 11:50am
I marked it as "Solved' , it will stay marked Solved, and IS solved. Well, "solved' as in ALL current AMD chipsets do not support PCIe 3 Gen 3. The upcoming Ryzen/AM4 will when finally released. PCIe 3 Gen 3 and DDR-4.

I would appreciated you NOT starting a new thread to b*tch. This one would have sufficed. Copy? Consider yourself warned.

Now, would you like me post my reply in your second thread here too?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 11:56am
Originally posted by floydstime floydstime wrote:

For sure not true... sorry http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FXGEN3_R20/

For sure true!

I see you discovered the ONE possible exception and hold it up as the rule. Again, read my reply in your second thread concerning what ASUS Engineers did with a PLEX chip that allowed Gen3.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydstime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by floydstime floydstime wrote:

For sure true!

I see you discovered the ONE possible exception and hold it up as the rule. Again, read my reply in your second thread concerning what ASUS Engineers did with a PLEX chip that allowed Gen3.

Listen son, you need to take a cold shower.  Then maybe hop back on and listen to relaxing music when you are moderating forums.  
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 3:15pm
This issue has come up before and the last time it did the user posting got very agitated. They cited the same board as "proof" that the AM3+ platform supports PCIe 3.0. The fact is, the AMD 900 chipset series (and earlier) do not support PCIe 3.0. ASUS used some clever trickery to force "support" on that board. Users owning that board however determined that while it allows devices to be detected as PCIe 3.0 it does not in fact run at PCIe 3.0 speeds. 

No one here is trying to call you a liar Wink

Posting a second thread because this one was marked solved comes off as argumentative. When it comes to AMD I don't know anyone more knowledgeable than Wardog.

It seems Wardog took the time to explain things in not one but 2 threads. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic