ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Update BIOS for gtx1050?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oddballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Update BIOS for gtx1050?
    Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 1:36am
Hello.

I have the Asrock 970 Pro3 R2.0 motherboard. I recently bought a new gpu, the Msi gtx1050ti gaming x 4g. Installation seemed to go well.
Before installation of the new gpu I formatted my drives and installed Windows 10(previously had 7). So it was as fresh an installation as could be before I swapped graphics cards.

However upon boot I was greeted with a black screen, no bios, or post visible(no onboard graphics on my processor AMD FX6300).
A peek inside the computer showed the graphics cards lights were on, and the motherboard at no point beeped of a detected problem.
After a while I would hear what I believe to be a windows 10 sound playing a short 1sec melody. It would play again in a few minutes. I can only assume the computer got into windows, and its the sound of a pending update or some such, but I have no way to verify.

The first cable I used was a 'display port to hdmi' which on my monitor showed 'no signal detected'. The second cable I tried was a 'DVI-D to DVI-D single link', which to my surprise showed 'no cable detected'.

Im at a loss for what the problem might be as im not very tech savvy. I tried looking for a definitive answer to the BIOS updates and how it effects graphics cards but found little so I thought id write here and see if anyone knows the problem, or can say that indeed a BIOS update is needed.

My computer specs are:

Asrock 970 Pro3 R2.0 - motherboard
AMD FX6300 - processor
Corsair VS650 - power supply
HyperX fury 8g something something - ram
Geforce gtx 1050ti gaming x.

Monitor is a BenQ GL2460

Im just not very comfortable with computers, why I havent been troubleshooting too much before writing here.

Thanks for any replys.

Zirw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zirw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 1:35am
In bios you motherboard choose your card? If not, enter the bios further advanced north bridge configuration and choose pci express. Save the bios settings and reboot :) Should help!

Edited by Zirw - 27 Jan 2017 at 1:37am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 3:48am
Adapters and adapter cables can and usually cause issues. Not always, but .......

Are you comfortable clearing the BIOS by moving a small jumper?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 2:15pm
Your board does not support the integrated graphics in a processor, so no need to select the video card specifically in the UEFI/BIOS. It will always default to the video card.

Your board is a more recent release of an older AMD chipset, so the UEFI/BIOS is more likely to support new video cards like yours. We have been seeing more compatibility issues with new video cards lately, so that is still a possibility.

As wardog asked, you should be able to clear the CMOS/BIOS with the jumper on the board, right? If you can install a video card, you can perform the clear CMOS procedure. Always a good policy when changing major hardware. Your board's manual explains it well:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Pro3%20R2.0/

Any idea what BIOS version you have now? Did you ever update it yourself? If not, the version is printed on a sticker on the BIOS chip, which is in the lower right corner of the board, above the CHA_FAN2 connector. Otherwise the BIOS version is shown on the Main BIOS screen.

We can't guarantee a BIOS update will fix your problem, but it is not risky to do if you use the right method, Instant Flash. But one problem, you can't do any BIOS update without a signal to the monitor.

Can you put your other video card in the PC?

The Windows sounds actually come in handy sometimes, right? Good observation about that, here's one you can easily try if you have a USB flash drive, or really almost any USB device. Just plug something into a USB port. You should hear a sound on connection and removal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic