ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

USB headers not working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastmax32168 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB headers not working
    Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 5:52am
I have a N68C-GS4 FX that I am having a problem with the usb headers. The USB ports in the back all work, but none of the headers on the other end of the board will. I am trying to add a USB port and card reader assembly to the front of the computer to no avail. I have verified the new unit I am trying to add works on another computer but it does not matter which of the 3 plugs I use it will not work when connected to the ASrock motherboard. I also tried a 2nd device I have and it will not work either when plugged into the ASrock motherboard. Is there somewhere in setup to turn these on and off? I didnt see anything specific to the headers. Thanks, Roy
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 7:29am
So, ..... None of the three "external' headers at the lower right corner work?

Your "USB port and card reader assembly" . It's the card reader portion of most of these that give Users headaches. Been there, done that I have.

What's the make/model, and a link please?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 7:31am
My guess. If you have a two port USB 2.0 panel that you plug into any of the MBs three headers, you'll find they work just fine.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Fastmax32168 Fastmax32168 wrote:

I have a N68C-GS4 FX that I am having a problem with the usb headers. The USB ports in the back all work, but none of the headers on the other end of the board will. I am trying to add a USB port and card reader assembly to the front of the computer to no avail. I have verified the new unit I am trying to add works on another computer but it does not matter which of the 3 plugs I use it will not work when connected to the ASrock motherboard. I also tried a 2nd device I have and it will not work either when plugged into the ASrock motherboard. Is there somewhere in setup to turn these on and off? I didnt see anything specific to the headers. Thanks, Roy

It sounds like you have tried connecting the USB front panel device you have, to each of the three USB headers on the board, located in the lower right corner of your board. The three headers are label USB4_5, USB6_7, and USB8_9, correct? Each connector can provide two USB 2.0 ports.

I assume the USB port assembly fits in a 5.25" bay of your PC case, correct?

I also assume the USB port assembly has USB 2.0 ports? How many USB ports does it have? It also has a card reader, which is connected to a USB header as well?

How many cables/connectors does it have?

Is it a passive or powered device? If you have a link to the device, can you post it for us?

Does the connector on the cable from the USB ports match the nine pins on the connectors?

When you have it connected to the board, and attempt to use one of its USB ports (with what devices?), did you check the Device Manager entry for the USB ports, in case there is an error code displayed?

What version of Windows are you using?

Given your board's manual, the only USB option setting that might help is the Legacy USB Support option. Try setting it to Disabled.

Fastmax32168 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastmax32168 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 8:45am
Wardog, the other panel I tried is a simple 2 port USB panel, it didnt work either. Both of these panels work on my other computer though, so I dont think the issue lies with them. I dont even get a light on the flash drive if I plug it in while the panel is connected.  I was hoping to find a software/driver issue and not a mechanical one with the motherboard. Perhaps I am out  of luck.
Fastmax32168 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastmax32168 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:06am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by Fastmax32168 Fastmax32168 wrote:

It sounds like you have tried connecting the USB front panel device you have, to each of the three USB headers on the board, located in the lower right corner of your board. The three headers are label USB4_5, USB6_7, and USB8_9, correct? Each connector can provide two USB 2.0 ports.

CORRECT

I assume the USB port assembly fits in a 5.25" bay of your PC case, correct?

CORRECT

I also assume the USB port assembly has USB 2.0 ports? How many USB ports does it have? It also has a card reader, which is connected to a USB header as well?

IT APPEARS TO HAVE ONE CABLE THAT CONNECTS TO THE TWO 2.0 PORTS, AND ANOTHER CABLE THAT WOULD CONNECT TO A USB 3.0 PORT AND THE CARD READERS. AS SUGGESTED BEFORE THOUGH, I TRIED A SIMPLE DUAL PORT OUTLET AND IT ALSO DID NOT WORK

How many cables/connectors does it have?

3 CABLES A USB 2.0 USB 3.0 AND AUDIO

Is it a passive or powered device? If you have a link to the device, can you post it for us?

THIS IS THE DEVICE I PURCHASED, I DID NOT REALIZE WHEN I ORDERED IT THERE WAS NOT A HOOKUP ON MY MOTHERBOARD FOR USB 3.0, I WOULD USE AN ADAPTER IF IT WORKED, HOWEVER AS I STATED EVEN A SIMPLE 2 PORT USB 2.0 DOESNT WORK WHEN I PLUG IT IN.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019SNGNI2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does the connector on the cable from the USB ports match the nine pins on the connectors?

YES

When you have it connected to the board, and attempt to use one of its USB ports (with what devices?), did you check the Device Manager entry for the USB ports, in case there is an error code displayed?

DEVICE MANAGER DOES NOT RECOGNIZE ANYTHING AS BEING THERE AT ALL

What version of Windows are you using?

Given your board's manual, the only USB option setting that might help is the Legacy USB Support option. Try setting it to Disabled.

I JUST TRIED THAT BUT IT DID NOT HELP.

I APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORT. I HAD A USB /CARD READER PANEL IN THE FRONT BEFORE AND IT WORKED JUST FINE. A FLASH DRIVE GOT BROKEN OFF IN THE OLD USB PORT, THAT IS WHY I WAS REPLACING IT.  PERHAPS THIS INCIDENT  DAMAGED THE MOTHERBOARD.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic