ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Accidentally hit CLR CMOS button

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppie1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accidentally hit CLR CMOS button
    Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 8:46am
HI I have an ASRock z77 extreme 4 and I was plugging in my new monitor and I put the HDMI cable in and hit CLR CMOS by accident while the computer was on and now I'm getting error code 62 I've tried resetting my CMOS by following this tutorial (http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal) and I waited 45 minutes and put the jumper back in place and then put the battery back in and turned it on only to get error code 62 again. What should I do? I tried reseating the RAM and the only other notable thing I did was take my CPU out to replace the thermal paste.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by puppie1997 puppie1997 wrote:

HI I have an ASRock z77 extreme 4 and I was plugging in my new monitor and I put the HDMI cable in and hit CLR CMOS by accident while the computer was on and now I'm getting error code 62 I've tried resetting my CMOS by following this tutorial (http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal) and I waited 45 minutes and put the jumper back in place and then put the battery back in and turned it on only to get error code 62 again. What should I do? I tried reseating the RAM and the only other notable thing I did was take my CPU out to replace the thermal paste.

""other notable thing I did was take my CPU out to replace the thermal paste.""

Describe the timing that the CPU was removed(1st/2nd?) and bumping the CLR CMOS(1st/2nd?).
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 10:53am
Originally posted by puppie1997 puppie1997 wrote:

I have two of those boards, and while it's normally not a recommended practice to press the Clr CMOS button while the PC is on, I've done that a few times, and never damaged anything. I held the button down for a second or two, and the PC shut off when the button was pressed. When I released the button, the PC restarted and the UEFI/BIOS had been cleared, and I was prompted to go into the UEFI, or just boot Windows.

What happened when you pressed that button, immediately afterwards?

POST code 62 is related to the Z77 chipset, but can be related to a CPU problem. Or possibly the UEFI/BIOS itself was corrupted.

Did you change the thermal paste after pressing the Clr CMOS button?

Actually, connecting or disconnecting cables to a PC that is running is not a good idea. "Hot plugging" video cables is risky, that may have caused the problem you have, not simply pressing the Clr CMOS button.

I assume the HDMI port was on the IO panel, and you use the Intel integrated graphics?

If you still have an HDMI cable connected to that port, remove it and try using the DVI or VGA output for a test.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 1:03pm
I think we have all done this at least once, (clear CMOS when the power is on by accident or purposefully). 

Try what Parsec mentioned, clearing CMOS properly is usually all it takes to sort the issue out. If that fails then pull all power from the motherboard itself, both 24pin and 8 pin, disconnect all cables (SATA etc) and pull the battery. Leave the system to sit like this for at least an hour. Be sure to place the clear CMOS jumper in the clear position while you wait. Once it has sat for an hour (give it a little over an hour) place the clear CMOS jumper back in it's default position, reconnect everything and try to power up again.

If this fails then you might want to contact Tech Support directly and inquire about getting a new BIOS chip for your board.

Good luck 
puppie1997 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppie1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 10:47pm
I replaced the thermal paste first then after putting the CPU back in I bumped the CLR CMOS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic