ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Install windows 7 on 960 evo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
foxmulder.ms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxmulder.ms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Install windows 7 on 960 evo
    Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 12:25am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by nick80gr nick80gr wrote:

Hi, i have a H170 perfomance motherboard and a m2 ssd 960 evo samsung. I try to install windows 7 64 bit but i can't make it. I see the disk on bios but in the step that need to choose the disk in order to install windows i can't find it. What need to do in order to fix it ? Need to install a driver ? 

Yes, you must install an NVMe driver. The 960 EVO is an NVMe SSD, a new and different storage protocol than SATA.

Windows 7 does not have a built in NMVe driver in its installation program, which is why the 960 EVO is not found.

Samsung provides an NVMe driver on the information page of the 960 EVO. But it is not in the correct format for use with a Windows installation. The NVMe driver files have been extracted from the Samsung NVMe driver installation program, which normally can only be used once Windows is installed. There is a link to a website where you can download that driver at the end of this post.

You are trying to do two difficult things at the same time, difficult because you are using Windows 7. Windows 8.1 and 10 do not have these problems.

First there is the problem with no USB 3.0 driver, and second no NVMe driver.

Below is a link to a guide for installing Windows 7 on an Intel 100 series chipset board (like you have), using an NVMe SSD as the Windows drive. If you need to use this guide, you must be careful to do every step perfectly. The link to the NVMe driver you can load during the Windows 7 installation is in the guide:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-installing-windows-7-on-an-nvme-ssd-from-a-usb-3-0-thumbdrive.783921/

A direct link to a Samsung NVMe driver you can use with a Windows 7 installation can be found on the page below. Find the Samsung NVMe Drivers section, you want the Win 7 "pure" 64 bit driver:

http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html

This was great help, thanks for sharing..

Edited by foxmulder.ms - 10 Apr 2018 at 12:26am
stefan33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefan33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by menolly menolly wrote:

Alreay replied.

I see now you wrote it the same over... :-)
menolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote menolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 1:50pm
Alreay replied.
stefan33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefan33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 8:19am

Hi, i have a H170 perfomance motherboard and a m2 ssd 960 evo samsung. I try to install windows 7 64 bit but i can't make it. I see the disk on bios but in the step that need to choose the disk in order to install windows i can't find it. What need to do in order to fix it ? Need to install a driver ?

I tell you what relly you have to do:
You need A Windows 7 ISO (DVD or Virtual Image mounted for example on Alcohol 120).
Then go to Gigabyte web site and download:  GIGABYTE 100 Series Windows 7 USB Installation Tool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufsczv8cIeM

Than (very important before unrar the software REMOVE the block)... execute it.
Remember to add usb and nvme drivers to the original Win 7 iso

Than create USB Bootable stick.... Nothing more. Everything is working.
If you like later insatall Samsung nvme drivers.

menolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote menolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 10:14pm
There is one simple solution for your problem.

Download Win 7 Tool from Gigabyte website:

and then follow my steps on YouTube video how to prepare Win 7 USB with NVM drivers for EVO SSD

Edited by menolly - 13 Apr 2017 at 10:59pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 10:36am

Yes, you must install an NVMe driver. The 960 EVO is an NVMe SSD, a new and different storage protocol than SATA.

Windows 7 does not have a built in NMVe driver in its installation program, which is why the 960 EVO is not found.

Samsung provides an NVMe driver on the information page of the 960 EVO. But it is not in the correct format for use with a Windows installation. The NVMe driver files have been extracted from the Samsung NVMe driver installation program, which normally can only be used once Windows is installed. There is a link to a website where you can download that driver at the end of this post.

You are trying to do two difficult things at the same time, difficult because you are using Windows 7. Windows 8.1 and 10 do not have these problems.

First there is the problem with no USB 3.0 driver, and second no NVMe driver.

Below is a link to a guide for installing Windows 7 on an Intel 100 series chipset board (like you have), using an NVMe SSD as the Windows drive. If you need to use this guide, you must be careful to do every step perfectly. The link to the NVMe driver you can load during the Windows 7 installation is in the guide:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-installing-windows-7-on-an-nvme-ssd-from-a-usb-3-0-thumbdrive.783921/

A direct link to a Samsung NVMe driver you can use with a Windows 7 installation can be found on the page below. Find the Samsung NVMe Drivers section, you want the Win 7 "pure" 64 bit driver:

http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 9:03am
Are you RAIDing these two drives?
nick80gr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick80gr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 3:57am
I have follow all these steps but still i can't find what i miss. I have also one 850 evo, when i connect both disk in the phase that need to choose disk to install windows I can see only the 850 evo.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 3:36am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 3:35am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic