ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

775i65G - 1066 FSB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catroplo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 775i65G - 1066 FSB
    Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 7:23am
Hello

Having the board 775i65G and knowing that I can adopt a 1066 FSB CPU, and also having already a graphics card, and DDR400 RAM, which are requirements for that; when installing that new processor, do I need to make some overclocking configuration?

Also, it says that RAM DDR400 has to be CL2.5 but I guess I have CL3, is there a problem? I read somewhere that in that case one has to 'underclock'

Thank you
catroplo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catroplo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 10:48am
Bump.

I can't say I've had trouble regarding this issue, I guess. Maybe, at times, the processor cooler speeds up kind of bad. Can someone tell me what other problem could this represent?

Bump · Thank you.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 11:21am
Originally posted by catroplo catroplo wrote:

Hello

Having the board 775i65G and knowing that I can adopt a 1066 FSB CPU, and also having already a graphics card, and DDR400 RAM, which are requirements for that; when installing that new processor, do I need to make some overclocking configuration?

Also, it says that RAM DDR400 has to be CL2.5 but I guess I have CL3, is there a problem? I read somewhere that in that case one has to 'underclock'

Thank you

Bump.

I can't say I've had trouble regarding this issue, I guess. Maybe, at times, the processor cooler speeds up kind of bad. Can someone tell me what other problem could this represent?

Bump · Thank you.

The specifications clearly state that the FSB must be over clocked to 1066 for the CPU and video card, from the standard 533/800 FSB speed. It seems you have already done that, so the CPU and video card are working now?

If the CPU cooler fan is speeding up more now with the new CPU, the new CPU probably has a higher TDP (Thermal Design Power) and creates more heat. If you are using the same CPU cooler you had with the old CPU, then the CPU temperature must be getting higher, and the fan speeds up to try to cool it better. Over clocking the FSB to 1066 also creates more heat in the 865G chipset in your board, which adds to the overall heat created by the board and CPU.

We have no idea which model old and new CPU you have, or the CPU cooler type you are using. Until we do, all we can do is guess about why things happen.
catroplo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catroplo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 12:33pm
Thank you.

I had Intel Celeron D 3.3 GHz now have Intel q6600 Core 2 quad. Heatsink with a fan on top. I haven't overclocked manually. The change of speed happens mostly always at startup; post takes some good seconds, sometimes it can't boot so it, like, tries again and this is when speed up happens. It goes back to normal after a couple minutes.

What about the ram not being CL 2.5?
Thanks
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 11:01pm

Thank you.

I had Intel Celeron D 3.3 GHz now have Intel q6600 Core 2 quad. Heatsink with a fan on top. I haven't overclocked manually. The change of speed happens mostly always at startup; post takes some good seconds, sometimes it can't boot so it, like, tries again and this is when speed up happens. It goes back to normal after a couple minutes.

What about the ram not being CL 2.5?
Thanks

You went from a Celeron D Processor 356 whose TDP is 86 Watts, to a Core2 Quad Processor Q6600, whose TDP is 105 Watts:

https://ark.intel.com/products/27131/Intel-Celeron-D-Processor-356-512K-Cache-3_33-GHz-533-MHz-FSB

https://ark.intel.com/products/29765/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q6600-8M-Cache-2_40-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

You've also gone from the single core Celeron D to a quad core Core 2 Quad processor. The new Q6600 runs hotter than the Celeron D, so the CPU cooler's fan speeds up as it should to keep it cool, completely normal. The load on the CPU is higher when you start the PC, so the CPU temperature is higher. The load is lower after Windows boots, the CPU cools off somewhat, and the fan speed goes down, all normal behavior. Did you use new thermal paste between the CPU and CPU cooler?

You did not tell us if the CPU cooler you are using, which seems to be the standard Intel CPU cooler, you really were not specific, is from the Celeron D or came with the Q6600. A CPU cooler with a fan on top could be any of many models. It's probably an Intel standard CPU cooler.

If you have not set the FSB speed in the BIOS to 1066 yourself, then the BIOS seems to be setting it automatically for you. That may be why POST is slow, is it slower than when using the Celeron CPU? Have you checked the FSB speed in Windows, or gone into the BIOS to check the FSB setting?

Did you clear the BIOS when you installed the Q6600? That is what you should do when changing a CPU. But I don't think you should do that now, since if you haven't done these things yourself already, you don't seem to be comfortable doing those things.

I have no idea about the memory being CL 3 or 2.5, and I'm not sure why you are asking about it. The specs seem to say you need CL2.5 memory with the FSB set to 1066, but if the PC boots with your CL3 memory, then it works.

catroplo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catroplo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 8:37am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Did you use new thermal paste between the CPU and CPU cooler?
I did.

You did not tell us if the CPU cooler you are using, which seems to be the standard Intel CPU cooler, you really were not specific, is from the Celeron D or came with the Q6600. A CPU cooler with a fan on top could be any of many models. It's probably an Intel standard CPU cooler.
Yes, the one that shows up first after googling 'stock intel cpu cooler'

If you have not set the FSB speed in the BIOS to 1066 yourself, then the BIOS seems to be setting it automatically for you. That may be why POST is slow, is it slower than when using the Celeron CPU? Have you checked the FSB speed in Windows, or gone into the BIOS to check the FSB setting?
I think it does it automatically. I've read somewhere that post will be slow because of adopting these max capacities idk. Post is slower than when using the Celeron, yes. I don't think there's a FSB setting, I mean, one that says 'FSB'. There's one where you can change the cpu frequency, I guess. It's default at 266.

Did you clear the BIOS when you installed the Q6600? That is what you should do when changing a CPU. But I don't think you should do that now, since if you haven't done these things yourself already, you don't seem to be comfortable doing those things.
No, I didn't clear it and don't know what it is or how. What I did was disabling the Celeron on Device manager; does that change something?

I have no idea about the memory being CL 3 or 2.5, and I'm not sure why you are asking about it. The specs seem to say you need CL2.5 memory with the FSB set to 1066, but if the PC boots with your CL3 memory, then it works.
Yeah, I think it's a matter of better performance.

Edited by catroplo - 12 Oct 2017 at 8:41am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 10:04am
The CPU cooler's fan speed is simply responding to your Q6600 CPU operating warmer than your Celeron D CPU did. Normally nothing to be concerned about. Do you ever run a program to check the CPU temperature?

I have a surprise for you... your Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU is NOT listed as a supported CPU in your board's CPU Support List, or the Specifications, sorry to say:

CPU Support List:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/775i65G/index.asp#CPU

Specifications:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/775i65G/index.asp#Specification

You are lucky that the Q6600 CPU works in your board. Just because the Q6600 uses the same 775 socket type does not mean it is compatible in every way. The Specifications include Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme processor support, so I assume that is why a Core 2 Quad will work in your board.

The FSB frequency is being detected and set automatically, since the CPU Host Frequency in the BIOS is set to Auto.

I don't have any experience using a mother board as old as yours is, I never had one so my knowledge about it is limited. It is 11 years old.

A Device Manager entry is not at all related to clearing the BIOS/CMOS, as it is called. If you don't know what it is or how to do it, I'm concerned that doing it now might cause problems. What it is and how to do it is described in your board's manual, on page 17, Clear CMOS section:

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/775i65G.pdf

You asked me in a private message about a BSOD problem with your video card. We don't know what video card you are using, or even what version of Windows you are using. The video card must be an AGP type, which is no longer used.

You also asked about changing the PSU. Why? Again, no idea what PSU you have now.

catroplo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catroplo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 11:09am
Thanks for replying.

I also always thought the board was 775i65G, even when I decided to get the Q6600; but one day I read the model on the board and saw it was the R2.0 version, which supports this CPU. When I hadn't noticed it, I thought the Q6600 would work just because the socket type matched and was 1066 FSB.

About the video card, it is a Radeon HD 4650 AGP. I've experienced a couple BSOD 'because of it'. One time at the time of a Windows (7 Ultimate x64) fresh install having the card plugged in. I think a conflict of chipset drivers. So I have to install Windows using the onboard graphics and then install the card, but if I let Windows assign the driver for the card, I'll get BSOD. Another, after some adware installed things; and the other after I uninstalled a program and immediately restarted: Windows didn't get  past 'Starting'. All these blame atikmdag.sys

Don't know if you can help me with that.

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic