ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange problem Z77

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbp21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange problem Z77
    Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 2:15am
Hey all- 

Curious problem with Z77 Extreme4 motherboard.

Been running great for years with an Intel i5-3570 and 16 gb RAM (identical chips) and the integrated GPU.

Bios was up to date at 2.9.

Over the weekend, I installed a 1050ti PCI Express GPU--  installed into the PCIE2 slot.

Clear CMOS and booted into Windows--  installed the right drivers and everything was OK--  EXCEPT BIOS/Windows only recognized 8gb RAM.  CPU-Z recognizes all 4 ram chips.

So, after trying random fixes like tweaking the RAM voltage, etc I decided to give up and remove the GPU.

After removing the GPU, I get the 'd6' error-  no output console.  I've tried to clear the CMOS with the button and also the 4 hour battery removal/CMOS jumper methods.

Still no luck-  after putting the GPU back, I can again boot into the BIOS settings and there are no options for the iGPU--  its as if the motherboard doesn't recognize it any longer.

Any thoughts? 

Either I would like to have all 4 RAM sodimms recognized with the GPU installed OR be able to revert back to the iGPU from the processor.

Not my first build, thus far have tried to re-seat all the RAM, upgraded BIOS to the 2.9 BETA from the website, removed all extra peripherals from the motherboard.  Nothing has worked.

Thanks for your help.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 2:45am
Please clip a screenshot:

Start > Run > resmon > click on the Memory tab, capture it, and post it here
jbp21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbp21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 10:26am
Here are a few screen captures showing 8gb in windows and 16gb in CPU-Z.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 11:55am
When a video card is installed, most of the BIOS options for the iGPU will no longer be displayed, that is normal. You've simply never seen the BIOS like that before.

If you enable the IGPU Multi-Monitor option, that allows the use of the iGPU and video card at the same time. That option is in the North Bridge Configuration screen. The manual states this option is enabled by default, but that was changed with later BIOS versions, IIRC.

Try enabling IGPU Multi-Monitor, and be sure a monitor is connected to an iGPU output.

Other options to check in that screen is Share Memory, Render Standby, and Deep Render Standby. Those options are only for the iGPU. Share Memory should be on Auto when using a video card.

The default graphics setting is PCI Express, but if there is no video card installed, the board should select the iGPU automatically.

The graphics option settings on this board can be bit strange, because it supports Lucid Virtu. Do you have that software installed?

What version of Windows are you using?

I doubt the iGPU is not working or suddenly broken.

The memory issue is strange, but the latest video cards can cause unusual things with older boards.

You did not mention your PSU model?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 4:00pm
Sounds as if a stick of mem went bad.

Testing with only one stick installed at a time, see that each will boot up.

Also, capturing the SPD amd Memory tabs in CPU-z for each sticks please, Eight captures in all.
jbp21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbp21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 12:43am
Thanks for your help-

So on the North Bridge Configuration screen, there is no option of IGPU Multimonitor, Share Memory, Render Standby, or Deep Render Standby.

The problem is that if I remove the PCI Express GPU, I can't boot into BIOS at all--  I get the d6 error.  Even with a monitor plugged into one of the iGPU ports (tried all VI/VGA/HDMI).

I tried to install Lucid Virtu but I get the error "Integrated Graphics Device was not found."

I don't think the iGPU is not working or broken, however installing a PCI Express GPU seems to have convinced the BIOS that it no longer exists...  which is not resetting despite 4 hr battery removed CMOS Clears.

PSU is Corsair CX 430.  

Using Windows 7 Pro.

Attached are add'l screen shots for the memory issue.

jbp21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbp21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 12:31am
bump - still having both issues described - no help from asrock tech support - stated I need a new MoBo (out of warranty)

Edited by jbp21 - 15 Feb 2017 at 12:31am
Wagnard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 3:40am
I have the same issue,
Is there a fix found or this was technically programmed my Asrock to break our board at a specific date?
CILLER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CILLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 3:01am
I have the same issue on a Z77 Pro4-M
I used a external graphics card to update the bios, reset the bios, tried 2 different cpu's. 2 different psu's, other memory.

No matter what I try, only 2 out of the 4 memory sticks work and no iGPU.

I got no clue what can cause this, but it seems like a software/BIOS issue on the side of ASRock.
ChrisVMLabs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisVMLabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 6:18pm
I had exactly the same issue with my z77 extreme 4 m today. It was a home server but put in storage for about a year. It was all good before put in storage. But today, only ram in a2-b2 slots are recognized. If I remove ram in aw, then ram in a1-b1 are recognized. iGPU stopped working completely.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic