ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Notes and observations on X99 Taichi build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goretsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:13pm
Hello,

Thank you for your kind words, WarDog. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Aryeh, I was thrust into a time machine reading your "Twenty years before the mouse" article.

Thank you!
---
Aryeh Goretsky, MVP (2004-2018), ZCSE
TPMguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TPMguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 12:15am
The TPM 2.0 Module's part number is "HA-TPM2-S". It's currently available at tigerdirect.com and aerocooler.com in the USA. I see a site it Canada and Italy as well showing it as being in stock.

goretsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goretsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 6:17pm
Hello,

I received an error when attempting to update my original post, so will add an addendum here.

I installed Version P1.80 of the ASRock X99 Taichi's new UEFI (BIOS) firmware to help mitigate some of the Spectre and Meltdown speculative execution variants. 

No major changes in reliability or performance were noted after installation of the updated firmware.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

---
goretsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goretsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 6:35pm
Hello,

I have replaced the 480GB MyDigitalSSD BPX M.2280 NVMe SSD with the following:

500GB Samsung 960 EVO SSD, [url=https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-960-evo-m-2-500gb-mz-v6e500bw/] MZ-V6E500BW[/url]

This was not due to any problem with the 480GB MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe SSD, but because the Samsung SSD became available from another computer build.

The contents of the 480GB MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe SSD were cloned to the 500GB Samsung EVO SSD using a MyDigitalSSD [url=https://mydigitalssd.com/accessories.php]M2X External USB 3.1 Gen 2 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Enclosure Adapter[/url] and the free version of Paramount Software's Macrium Reflect 7. There were no issues with the drive cloning process.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

---
goretsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goretsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 11:04am
Hello,

I have added an additional NVMe SSD to my ASRock X99 Taichi-based system, a 2TB [url=https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/consumer-ssds/660p-series/660p-series-2-tb-m-2-80mm-3d2.html]Intel 660P NVMe SSD[/url]. The drive was installed into the second M.2 slot, a process that took about three minutes in total, from the time I opened the case until the time it was closed and the machine booted up.

No problems were noted during installation, and the drive was formatted and is now hosting virtual machines that were previously installed on an internal hard disk drive.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
---
goretsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goretsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 4:40pm
Hello,

A quick update: I installed the beta BIOS version 1.81 without issue.

After installation, I reset the BIOS (technically UEFI) firmware back to its default values, changed a few settings' values as needed, and was back up and running with no noticeable issues with stability or performance.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
---
goretsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goretsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 2:38pm
Hello,

A final(?) update on the system after nearly seven years of service. Here is the current configuration:

The chassis and power supply remain unchanged from the initial build, a Fractal Design R4 case with a PC Power Cooling Mk 4 750W ATX PSU.

The system is being reprovisioned for use as a file server, with the M.2 NVMe SSD serving as the bootable OS drive, and the eight 2.5" 5.0 TB HDDs (4.65 TB after decimal to binary conversion, each) being configured for bulk storage. Using all eight HDDs with no resiliency would result in 37.2 TB of space, while using six for storage and two for parity would result in 27.9 TB of space.

The motherboard was upgraded to beta BIOS v1.82 without issue, identical to the v1.81 upgrade.

The machine is actually going to a friend for performing site-to-site backups of another friend's server. Because of this, the final operating system and RAID storage level (if any) are TBD.

All in all, the system has worked consistently and reliably over the past several years, just as a number of other workstations I have built based on ASRock motherboards.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
---
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 11:03pm
Thanks for sharing, seems the system served you well and still has more to give
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic