ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme6 - debug code 99

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 1:35am
batch, please list out all the hardware your computer is made up of, using Make and Model. Also state how old your PSU is.
batch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote batch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 4:36pm
- 6700K and 7700K
- G.Skill Ripjaws F4-3200C16Q-16GRKD / 4x4GB and G.Skill TridentZ F4-3400C16D-16GTZ / 2x8GB
- Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD 512 GB
- Samsung 850 Pro 1 TB
- HGST 4 TB HDD
- PSU Seasonic SS-750KM (750 W) .. it is 1,5 years old

But I dont believe on a components fault. If I install an Z170 OCF all is working properly - with BIOS v7.30 or v7.40 .. Win10 is booting up and no problems with code 99 ^^

Edited by batch - 06 Feb 2017 at 4:37pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by batch batch wrote:

But I dont believe on a components fault.

I'm leaning towards it being the memory you have there.

Any friend(s) with some rather mundane low ball DDR4 you can borrow to test using?

Both those G.Skill kits you have don't show up on G.Skills own Compatibility List for the Extreme6. The TridentZ show up on the OCFs QVL list, and the Ripjaws4 kit you have is only listed for X99 boards. And then not even an ASRock X99 board.

Z170 Extreme6 Compatible List - Tested on and Guaranteed Compatible by G.Skill
http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2484&model=2513

F4-3200C16Q-16GRKD QVL
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16q-16grkd#tabs-qvl

F4-3400C16D-16GTZ QVL
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3400c16d-16gtz#tabs-qvl

Now. That both kits function on your OCF isn't surprising to me. Between the OCF and Extreme6, we're talking apples to oranges. Different animals altogether.

Edited by wardog - 06 Feb 2017 at 5:12pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 5:44pm
After re-reading your posts.........

Reset the BIOS, then .. using only two of the Ripjaws4 sticks in A2 and B2 slots, boot, go into the BIOS and set them up manually, not via XMP.

3200 16-16-16-36-2N(CR) 1.35v

If that fails move them to A1 and B1, reset the BIOS, boot, go into the BIOS and set them up manually, not via XMP.

Post back your results of those two tests would you please.

batch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote batch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 4:03am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

After re-reading your posts.........
Reset the BIOS, then .. using only two of the Ripjaws4 sticks in A2 and B2 slots, boot, go into the BIOS and set them up manually, not via XMP.

If that fails move them to A1 and B1, reset the BIOS, boot, go into the BIOS and set them up manually, not via XMP.

Post back your results of those two tests would you please.

Hi,

I tested this some days before. I tried 2 pieces to get dual channel, I tried 1 piece in A1, in B1.. always with the same result.

I know that there is no official support for my RAMs. But why there's no fault until BIOS v1.2 ?
Maybe I'm wrong with this.. but if the board would have problems with the RAMs, the codes 0d or b0 should displayed .. -> http://asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=334

Edited by batch - 07 Feb 2017 at 4:04am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 11:48am

well. maybe something is broken. i cannot say it. Just tried v7.10 and v7.0 .. same freeze when any storage device is pluged in.

Guess I have to send it back to the supplier to take an eye at this. Maybe they know what to do.

Was this PC sold to you as a package by a company?

Hi,

I tested this some days before. I tried 2 pieces to get dual channel, I tried 1 piece in A1, in B1.. always with the same result.

I know that there is no official support for my RAMs. But why there's no fault until BIOS v1.2 ?
Maybe I'm wrong with this.. but if the board would have problems with the RAMs, the codes 0d or b0 should displayed .. -> http://asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=334

If we check the description for the next UEFI/BIOS version after 1.20, 1.40, it has changes for DRAM compatibility.

While we may think the description, Improve DRAM compatibility, means we can use more models of memory, that is not what it means. It really means that memory compatibility has been modified to match what it should be for a Skylake processor.

I just remembered something else about changing to the Kaby Lake compatible UEFI/BIOS version (7.xx). Did you update the INF files, and the IME software for a Kaby Lake (i7-7700K) processor?

That would be the INF driver ver:10.1.1.38, and Intel Management Engine driver ver:11.6.0.1126, from your board's download page:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme6/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

Even if you are still using a Skylake processor (i7-6700K) in the board, the IME firmware that is part of the UEFI/BIOS file, was updated in the 7.xx update. The matching IME software (backward compatible) must be installed.

Another thing that worries me now is the number of UEFI/BIOS updates that batch has done. Some of them have CPU microcode updates for various reasons, and IME firmware, which is NOT updated by every update. So who knows what state or combination of them he now has in place.

To answer your question about the memory compatibility not being shown as a POST check failure, your memory worked, but was probably not as stable as it should be. Then as the other UEFI/BIOS versions (1.40, etc), made the compatibility worse but not enough to fail completely, other aspects of the CPU could have problems, such as the PCIe lanes.

The M.2 SSD uses PCIe lanes, and when it was removed, the 99 code was not shown.

We forget that DDR4 memory is very new, only two platforms so far use it, X99 and Skylake/Kaby Lake. I combine those because they are not at all different compared to X99. DDR4 compatibility has been one of the worst problems we have seen in this forum, and it's not getting better... Confused
batch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote batch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 2:52am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Was this PC sold to you as a package by a company?

No, I selled the components and assembled it.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

If we check the description for the next UEFI/BIOS version after 1.20, 1.40, it has changes for DRAM compatibility.

While we may think the description, Improve DRAM compatibility, means we can use more models of memory, that is not what it means. It really means that memory compatibility has been modified to match what it should be for a Skylake processor.

I just remembered something else about changing to the Kaby Lake compatible UEFI/BIOS version (7.xx). Did you update the INF files, and the IME software for a Kaby Lake (i7-7700K) processor?

That would be the INF driver ver:10.1.1.38, and Intel Management Engine driver ver:11.6.0.1126, from your board's download page:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme6/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

Even if you are still using a Skylake processor (i7-6700K) in the board, the IME firmware that is part of the UEFI/BIOS file, was updated in the 7.xx update. The matching IME software (backward compatible) must be installed.

Another thing that worries me now is the number of UEFI/BIOS updates that batch has done. Some of them have CPU microcode updates for various reasons, and IME firmware, which is NOT updated by every update. So who knows what state or combination of them he now has in place.

To answer your question about the memory compatibility not being shown as a POST check failure, your memory worked, but was probably not as stable as it should be. Then as the other UEFI/BIOS versions (1.40, etc), made the compatibility worse but not enough to fail completely, other aspects of the CPU could have problems, such as the PCIe lanes.

The M.2 SSD uses PCIe lanes, and when it was removed, the 99 code was not shown.

We forget that DDR4 memory is very new, only two platforms so far use it, X99 and Skylake/Kaby Lake. I combine those because they are not at all different compared to X99. DDR4 compatibility has been one of the worst problems we have seen in this forum, and it's not getting better... Confused

In the BIOS is IME 11.6.0.1126 installe. This was taken during BIOS update to 7.xx automatically.

The M.2 SSD is not the cause. It doesnt matter if there is the M.2 or one/more SATA SSD/HDD plugged in. Even one USB stick with a bootable OS is enough to get the code 99 freezing.

I sadly have no other RAM. I think that I will open a RMA ticket. :-)

I will post here again, when I know the cause. Maybe it is just RAM incompatibility.

Thanks anyway for your help guys.
batch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote batch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 8:04pm
Hi,

just want to inform you. Got new board from supplier with rev. 1.05 and all is working properly. BIOS update to 7.20 and Win10 is booting. My old board was rev. 1.04. Dunno what they have changed.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 8:09pm

Hi,

just want to inform you. Got new board from supplier with rev. 1.05 and all is working properly. BIOS update to 7.20 and Win10 is booting. My old board was rev. 1.04. Dunno what they have changed.

Terribly sorry for your headaches, whatever they were discovered to be. Unfortunately it sounds like we'll never know.

On the Good side, you have a working computer Thumbs Up
batch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote batch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 8:15pm
Right, but well. I got no headaches from testing this out. Only RAM or board were left. So I'm just happy that I don't have to buy new RAMs ^^
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic