ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

RMA? No BIOS LEDs/POST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30GHz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RMA? No BIOS LEDs/POST
    Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 11:15am
X99M/3.1-BIOS 1.0

I guess I should have flashed to the available v1.1 before I tried to overclock, I was too optimistic with my settings and when I rebooted I get a constantly-ON(!) black screen monitor signal.

There are no LEDs on the motherboard that are lit. Neither BIOS_A or BIOS_B LED shows up and the red BIOS_A was on when it was working. Tried switching to B already.

I happen to have LEDs on my RAM and they are lit, but no DR.debug or other signs of life from the motherboard(I noticed the beep is off by default after a CMOSclear, so that won't help if it was just the monitor)

I tried the clear CMOS button and jumper to no effect.

Before I try taking out the RAM to see if there are beeps and/or trying a different video card, can someone tell me if no LEDs means I killed it just by raising the voltage adjustments in the UEFI?

Edited by 30GHz - 20 Jul 2015 at 2:02pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 3:33pm
What voltages did you raise? 

I would first try a battery cmos clear:

Power off the system and unplug the power cord
Press and hold the power button to clear residual charge from the PSU
Set the clear CMOS jumper to the clear position and leave it there
Remove the CMOS battery 
leave the system like this for 4 - 8 hours
set the clear CMOS jumper back to normal
replace battery
connect power cord
try to power on the system

This is what I like to call a "failsafe" clear and will clear any and all cobwebs from the bios. 

If this fails then remove the CPU and check for charring/dirt on the contact pads as well as look for bent pins. Depending on the voltage you set the CPU could have taken damage. Bare in mind that intel CPUs have the VRMs built into them these days. You can additionally try to power on the system with no CPU installed and compare symptoms. 
30GHz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30GHz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 4:05pm
It's a brand new mobo, booted to BIOS once, the 1.437VCore,1.425Vuncore,2.0VCCin,1.35Vdimm settings are max safe recommended.

If the fans that are connected to the motherboard spin, it seems it is alive but I think if there are no LEDs there then it must be dead, how would the CMOS clear fix that?

I tried leaving the battery out before, the CMOS jumper wasn't in the clear position for that time, I guess I can try that.

The Dr.Debug should show codes if CPU was bad.

UPDATE: With No RAM it still doesn't beep with the PC-speaker or headphones. LAN lights up but no dr.Debug. I hope it's not the CPU that died because (I assume dr.Debug would show up in that case) I will try RMA'ing the mobo.

Edited by 30GHz - 20 Jul 2015 at 6:57pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 2:16pm
You stated your motherboard as X99M/3.1 is it the Killer board or one of the extreme series? It is pretty hard to kill a CPU but 1.425v on the uncore is higher than I have seen on the many OC threads I have read on overclocking the 2011 v3 platform. The other voltages you listed are not dangerous however. 

The only way I can think of to determine if the board is dead is to remove the CPU and power on the system, the Dr. Debug LED panel should display a "00" error if the board is working correctly. If it does not then the board has probably died. If it does display a 00 code then try checking for bent pins and dirt on the contact pads then reinserting the CPU. Clear CMOS again before you attempt another boot at this point. If there is still no life at this point then the CPU is the fault.

Good luck, I hope it is just poor contact in the CPU socket.
30GHz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30GHz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 6:13am
There is only a Killer version of 3.1

I highly doubt rebooting with the uncore would kill the CPU as there was no load, i.e. it never worked with that setting.

It's a new one so it couldn't be poor/dirty contact, and it stopped working the moment I rebooted with that BIOS setting.

I tried taking out the RAM and there is no Dr.Debug codes, if the motherboard was fine then it should show in either case of missing cpu OR ram. I am pretty sure if there are no lights on the motherboard that means it is dead, so I reordered the same board, but I have to pay $69 restocking now. Seems the CMOS got corrupted and can't be cleared, seems separate problem from the BIOS, since that switch doesn't help.

Edited by 30GHz - 22 Jul 2015 at 6:16am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 12:24pm
I suggested removing the CPU because if it the CPU took a hit and its VRMs were damaged it could cause the board to fail to reach the dr debug tests. As we suspect the problem could be the board or the CPU, it makes sense to try without the CPU in the picture. There is no Dr. Debug code for a bad CPU, only for an absent one.
30GHz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30GHz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 6:43pm
I tried just removing the CPU and the RAM, but then it wouldn't turn on? The fans stayed off.

So based on your recommendation that there should be a "missing CPU" dr.debug code, I assumed it was the motherboard and ordered another identical one.

Same problem with the new motherboard. Monitor recieves signal but the signal is a black screen, the Fans are on, but the red BIOS led is off. So I will try ordering a new CPU then.
30GHz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30GHz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 9:25am
http://forum.hwbot.org/showpost.php?p=375986&postcount=162
Here is where he said it was safe for 1.42 Vuncore on water. But other reviews said 1.2V max so maybe that was it, seems weird that one single reboot could kill the CPU, it never recovered from that setting.

I sure hope it's not my video card or something preventing the BIOS LED from turning on. (Though it worked fine before, so the CPU setting change must have killed the CPU, I guess.)
I guess I shouldn't have trusted some random post, or maybe that number wasn't uncore even though it sure seemed like it.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 2:16pm
I am sorry to hear you are still having problems even after a new board. I have not actually seen a burnt CPU in almost a decade with all the safety features implemented these days. Good luck with the CPU replacement.

You can try RMA the CPU, you may get lucky and get it replaced.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by 30GHz 30GHz wrote:

It's a brand new mobo, booted to BIOS once, the 1.437VCore,1.425Vuncore,2.0VCCin,1.35Vdimm settings are max safe recommended.

If the fans that are connected to the motherboard spin, it seems it is alive but I think if there are no LEDs there then it must be dead, how would the CMOS clear fix that?

I tried leaving the battery out before, the CMOS jumper wasn't in the clear position for that time, I guess I can try that.

The Dr.Debug should show codes if CPU was bad.

UPDATE: With No RAM it still doesn't beep with the PC-speaker or headphones. LAN lights up but no dr.Debug. I hope it's not the CPU that died because (I assume dr.Debug would show up in that case) I will try RMA'ing the mobo.

Those voltages are Censored high! Plus it's not just setting the voltages, it depends on the CPU VCore Voltage Mode and CPU Cache Voltage Mode settings. If you use Auto/Adaptive, that will cause the true VCore and/or Cache voltage to increase above whatever your voltage settings are. Add +Offset (if you did) to this and who knows what those voltages actually were! You did not mention the Voltage Modes used.

IMO, rather bold of you to just set both VCore and Cache voltage so high at the same time, what were the multipliers/ratios set to?

From the Intel 2011-v3 Processor Datasheet, what they list as the "Absolute Maximum" for Vccin, CPU Input Voltage: 1.98V. That does not include any "transient overshoot" of the voltage, meaning any short term over voltage from the VRMs, but this value allows for the maximum transient overshoot voltage specification.

The standard Vccin specs are 1.47V Minimum, 1.8V Nominal, and 1.85V Maximum.

The Absolute Maximum spec for DDR4 memory is 1.35V, but I've read lately of DDR4 XMP profiles setting the DDR4 memory voltage to 1.5V.

As you know, it is common for experienced over clockers to ignore the Intel specs, and most of the time they get away with it. Which is one reason why you believed what you were told about the maximum "safe voltages" for Haswell-E processors.

Prior to Haswell, we knew what the maximum VID (VCore) was for the processor family, it was in the specs. That was the maximum voltage that the processor could have applied to it using the standard VID control method. For Ivy Bridge, it is 1.52V. That does NOT mean the processor could survive with that much voltage applied, but gave us some idea what the maximum voltage would be when using standard CPU cooling methods.

Haswell processors have the VCore created inside the processor itself with its internal VRMs. The Haswell datasheet does not include the VID range for the internal VRMs. For that we need another document, the VR12.5 specification, which is still unreleased to the public. So we are going completely by guess work and experience with Haswell, IMO.

Some Haswell OC guides I've seen claim the Cache/Ring cannot be OC'd beyond ~3.6GHz with a max VCore of 1.2V. But the various 2011-v3 "OC Sockets" with more pins in them used on some X99 boards are said to overcome that limitation.

Your Fatal1ty X99M Killer/3.1 board, and my X99 Extreme6/3.1 board both have the "X Series" OC Socket. So you were able to set a high Cache OC and voltage.

IMO, the stock clock and Turbo speeds of the Haswell-E processors give us a hint about how safe they are with high voltages. All of the Haswell-E processors have speed specs that are below those of the Ivy and Sandy Bridge HEDT processors.

My 5820K has a base clock speed of 3.3GHz. If I OC it to 4.4GHz, that is a 1.1GHz OC. If I can do that at 1.2V or less, I'm happy and done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic