ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z270 Taichi M.2 Ports

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2bluesc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 12:19pm
Your questions got me thinking and I pulled an EVO 960 out of the laptop that birthed the devil THNSN5256GPU7.  Guess what, you're right, the EVO 960 works in all 3 slots.

Now I can close all my RMAs and put away my pitchfork.

I ran the OCZ Clout tool in Linux to see if there were any possible firmware updates, but I didn't see any. Looks like this drive will live in slot M2_2 and continue the coincidence of working.

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

"works fine on slot M2_2" is rather oxymoronic, considering, wouldn't you say? I do.

That the drive you have may be a tied drive, tied to specific hardware though is maybe true and it just happens to work in 2_2

I'd contact Toshiba/OCZ and inquire if indeed it is tied, BEFORE blaming the MB so damn fast.

Well, your response is little over the top.  You have to understand my perspective: I'd seen the Toshiba drive work on TWO computers without issue and had seen nothing work in the ASRock motherboard.  Initial google searches show a few threads and reviews with identical error reports and no resolution.  Furthermore, the communications with ASRock included the model of the SSD and it didn't raise concern with them. I had little reason to suspect the THNSN5256GPU7.  Suspecting the motherboard was the most rational initial response.  It was, as stated above, wrong.

Would be curious to learn more about this OEM locking you speak of. Does it have a formal name I can research?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 12:33pm
That wasn't over the top, just MY perspective, from where I sit w/o having your hardware in front of me. I had my own repair shop with employees. I can't say I've seen it all yet I have seen an awful lot.

hehe I know your perspective you found yourself in. It's a lonely, dark, place. Been there, done that.

I'm just glad you didn't ship it off to RMA Land but instead found your answers here first. That would have been a major disappointment.

All is fine there, that's what counts. Enjoy!

hehe And please, consider ASRock on your next purchase Wink

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 1:02pm
Do something for me(us) before you get too far along with the 960.

In the BIOS, disable Secure Boot, and check that Toshiba in the other two positions.

Maybe, just maybe ........

Post back your results if you would please

2bluesc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2bluesc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 3:15am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Do something for me(us) before you get too far along with the 960.

In the BIOS, disable Secure Boot, and check that Toshiba in the other two positions.

Maybe, just maybe ........

Post back your results if you would please

I won't be able to give this a try for a while, everything is buttoned back up, Toshiba drive in M2_2 and 960 Evo back in the laptop.  I'll keep this in mind next time I tear in to them and follow-up.

When I did test them, I didn't try any of the NVMe drives simultaneously (too lazy to find the spare M2 screws that are stashed away).  I did try each NVMe drive in each M2 slot, one at a time with no SATA devices connected.
chong67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chong67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 2:59am
Can I put my only NVMe on M2_3 and it will only disable one SATA port?

Connect your laptop to external kb/mouse and HDMI and you could get a working desktop while your mobo is RMA.

I got me a new Samsung 860 EVo NVMe 500GB for $250 new on eb.  Not too bad.
shaun3883 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun3883 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 8:01am
Ok SO I rmad three asrock z270 taichi mobos it is definitely an ocdrd400 problem. All three motherboars can only read the oczrd400 in m-2 slot on the mobo. Mobo slot 1 and 3 will not read the oczrd400.
2bluesc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2bluesc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 8:03am
Originally posted by shaun3883 shaun3883 wrote:

Ok SO I rmad three asrock z270 taichi mobos it is definitely an ocdrd400 problem. All three motherboars can only read the oczrd400 in m-2 slot on the mobo. Mobo slot 1 and 3 will not read the oczrd400.

Oh Snap.  Those are OCZ Retail drives?  Can you share the exact part number and the firmware version of your drives? What UEFI version?
shaun3883 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun3883 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 8:35am
Rvd400-m22280-512gb

Sn Z69s10jrtpgv

Second ones also rvd400-m22280-512gb

sn is y6rs10eatpgv firmware 1.02
shaun3883 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun3883 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 8:36am
Will ASRock figure this out because people are rmaing their boards unnecessarily?? This is bad for both ocz and ASRock
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 9:14am
Originally posted by shaun3883 shaun3883 wrote:

Will ASRock figure this out because people are rmaing their boards unnecessarily?? This is bad for both ocz and ASRock

Have you reported this to OCZ/Toshiba? If other NVMe SSDs (960 EVO for example) work fine in all M.2 slots, but the RD400 doesn't then IMO that is more of an OCZ issue than an ASRock issue.

Yikes, three board RMAs for nothing... how do mother board manufactures stay in business? Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic