ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi and MBR and Windows boot manager

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claude.rivet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi and MBR and Windows boot manager
    Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 12:38am
Hello I am trying to install grub4dos on my system disk to manage a hidden disk containing a backup of my system using clonezilla.

Long story short I keep getting errors like grubint: not enough room to install...

I noticed my system reserved partition is EFI even though win7 should use MBR, how does that even happens? How can I go around this? I formatted and created partitions using the win7 pro CD and no choice existed for MBR or GPT. The BIOS offers me to boot from windows boot manager rather than just having a drive order and I think it might be the problem.

Basically, has anyone used grub4dos with Taichi board and how did you manage the install, I have been using this for over 5 years and never had any issue now it's hell and since the only thing changed in my setup is the MOBO I have a feeling it is related.

Also, how can I see my post in this forum the user control panel offer no options to see my post and finding them can be long.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 1:02am
Bookmark it using the yellow star to the right of your mane. There are many ways.

To your first, IIRC it was after SP1 that Win7 supported UEFI booting.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 9:27am
Originally posted by claude.rivet claude.rivet wrote:

Hello I am trying to install grub4dos on my system disk to manage a hidden disk containing a backup of my system using clonezilla.

Long story short I keep getting errors like grubint: not enough room to install...

I noticed my system reserved partition is EFI even though win7 should use MBR, how does that even happens? How can I go around this? I formatted and created partitions using the win7 pro CD and no choice existed for MBR or GPT. The BIOS offers me to boot from windows boot manager rather than just having a drive order and I think it might be the problem.

Basically, has anyone used grub4dos with Taichi board and how did you manage the install, I have been using this for over 5 years and never had any issue now it's hell and since the only thing changed in my setup is the MOBO I have a feeling it is related.

Also, how can I see my post in this forum the user control panel offer no options to see my post and finding them can be long.

The boot order entry, Windows Boot Manager is the standard Windows name for an EFI booting Windows installation. If your board's UEFI has the Boot Manager feature, you can add the name of the drive after the "Windows Boot Manager" text.

ASRock uses the "Taichi" name for multiple mother board/chipset models, so we don't know what board you have.

Did you change the default setting of the CSM option from Enabled?

When you installed Windows 7, did you check the boot order entry in the BIOS? You apparently had two, which is not uncommon on newer boards. One will have the prefix, "UEFI: <optical drive name>", the other likely, "AHCI: <optical drive name>".

If the Windows installation media boots from the "UEFI:" entry, then the Windows installer will format the drive as GPT and use the EFI bootloader. Booting from the "AHCI:" entry will cause MBR formatting, and Legacy booting. That is simply how the Windows installer program differentiates EFI and Legacy booting installations. The UEFI firmware of newer boards give us the options now (IMO, about time, thank goodness!)

I'm uncertain how an EFI booting Windows installation is causing not enough room for another OS, or why you think that is the cause?

Finding your post should be based upon the sub-forum that you created your thread in. You are in the Technical Support > Intel Motherboards, shown as the title on the main forum page. You can also scroll down to the latest forum posts entries, at the bottom of the main forum page, where you will find the most recently posted to threads.
claude.rivet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claude.rivet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 11:08pm
Parsec got this!

Thanks much for all the infos.

So complete reinstall?

Regards
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 12:09am
Originally posted by claude.rivet claude.rivet wrote:

Parsec got this!

Thanks much for all the infos.

So complete reinstall?

Regards

Please tell us which Taichi board you have, so we know what you are working with.

I must ask again because it matters, did you change the CSM option in the BIOS from the default enabled setting? Or did you change any of the CSM sub options, like Launch Storage OpROM Policy from the default Legacy Only?

If you did not change those BIOS settings, leave them at the defaults. Those options also can cause GPT partitioning and using the EFI boot loader.

I suggest a complete reinstall, yes. When you do, choose a Custom Windows installation, and delete all the existing Windows partitions before you continue. You must ONLY have the drive you are installing Windows on connected to the board, otherwise the Windows installer will put the boot/system partition on another drive. This can cause all kinds of problems, at least remove the power cable from any other drives when you install Windows, except the optical drive of course.

Be sure to check the boot order for the Windows 7 installation media, and do NOT use the entry that has "UEFI:", or you will get a GPT/EFI installation again!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claude.rivet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 3:31am
I have the ASRock X99 Taichi.

I originally installed using the UEFI DVD-ROM option because the USB DVD-ROM one for some reason was preventing Windows Setup to format the drive, the UEFI DVD-ROM however had no issue.

Now I simply used the Windows Install disc to as USB DVD-ROM and the option of partitioning and formating the drive was present and now I am using grub4dos with no issue. 

Thanks again!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claude.rivet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 3:32am
So just to be clear I did install with the default BIOS option as far as CSM is concerned.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic