ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x99 taichi NVME wont recognize

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arrowman413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x99 taichi NVME wont recognize
    Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 11:13pm
Hi, so i have gone through 2 x99 taichi and 2 samsung 960 evo 256gb m.2 ssd to try and solve this issue. So i am able to install windows with no issues. I can restart my computer with no issues. But after leaving my computer off over night the m.2 is no longer recognized. Not even in windows install. Anyone know the issue? And yes my bios is updated.

EDIT: I just tried to find the drive by booting linux off my flash drive. still doesnt see the drive. I can see my sata ssd no problem. Anyone know of any solution?

Edited by arrowman413 - 17 Feb 2017 at 12:38am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 1:12am
Originally posted by arrowman413 arrowman413 wrote:

Hi, so i have gone through 2 x99 taichi and 2 samsung 960 evo 256gb m.2 ssd to try and solve this issue. So i am able to install windows with no issues. I can restart my computer with no issues. But after leaving my computer off over night the m.2 is no longer recognized. Not even in windows install. Anyone know the issue? And yes my bios is updated.

EDIT: I just tried to find the drive by booting linux off my flash drive. still doesnt see the drive. I can see my sata ssd no problem. Anyone know of any solution?

By the NVMe SSD not being recognized, do you mean in the boot order?

Does your board's UEFI/BIOS have an NVMe Configuration screen, in the Advanced section? Also, in the Tools section of the UEFI, the System Browser feature, does that show the 960 EVO in the M.2 slot?

Have you tried clearing the UEFI/BIOS?

Which M.2 slot are you using?

What CPU are you using?

What version of Windows are you using? What did you use to install Windows, an optical disk? ISO file on a USB flash drive?

When you installed Windows, did you only have the 960 EVO connected to the board, or did you have any other drives connected to the board and running?

What was the entry in the boot order for the 960 EVO?

Did you install the Samsung NVMe driver?

I have two 960 EVOs that I use in a different ASRock board (Z270) and they have no problem as the OS drive, even when used in RAID 0.

I have heard of some bad 960 EVO released by Samsung. I use an Intel NVMe on my different ASRock X99 board as the OS drive, and it has worked fine for many months.
arrowman413 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arrowman413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 1:54am
i didnt see a nvme configuration screen, although the nvme was configured correctly because i was able to install windows

I tried pulling the cmos battery and letting it sit. Still nothing.

I have tried both slots, but it was originally install in the slot right below the cpu.

i have a i7-6850k, i havnt done any overclocking or xmp yet.

I am using windows 10, i installed using a flash drive. The os isnt corrupted though, i have installed it on multiple computers.

i forgot to unplug the ssd.

I did install the drivers, and i restarted after with no issues.

i heard samsung shipped some bad 960, i have tried and second one and i tried the second one in a different pc and it had no issues.

Edited by arrowman413 - 17 Feb 2017 at 2:07am
CPL0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPL0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 12:40pm
Hi arrowman, I had some similar experience with X99 Taichi so will detail it here in case it may help others.

Started off with RAID, some single SSD's and one RAID0 SSD. The RAID0 boot selection would usually replicate each boot until I had so many entries it wasn't possibly to enter the BIOS anymore.

Also experienced some unicode name corruption.

This happened with both BIOS versions P1.40 and P1.50, I didn't know what the heck was going on. There is also an issue with the boot menu where the mouse is unusable even though it works okay in the actual BIOS setup pages. Looks like the mouse pointer isn't updated on screen but that's a different issue.

To restore the boot menu I wiped all BIOS boot variables and order using the shell bcfg command which cleaned things and decided to get rid of the RAID0 and use a NVMe instead.

Bought W10 which came with some cheap looking USB flash drive instead of the usual DVDROM. That USB flash had both 32-bit and 64-bit versions but didn't play well with the X99 so copied just the relevant 64-bit section onto another FAT32 formatted flash and all was good. Installed W10 with GPT and CSM with no problem. Multiple restarts okay but when shut down and later cold booted the NVMe did not show up in the BIOS.

Long story short I ended up with these settings

CSM enabled, UEFI storage driver, Video legacy, fast boot disabled.

S_SATA3 controller(s) disabled.

And touch wood never had a hiccup since with Plextor M8PeG NVMe wise although runs a bit hot for my liking. Might fabricate a better H/S sometime. Menu appears to show both MBR and GPT for the NVMe but just using GPT.

Edited by CPL0 - 18 Feb 2017 at 12:46pm
arrowman413 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arrowman413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 12:22am
I tried cpl0 and still had no luck. I did however have it work when i switched to the other bios using the dual bios switch. it worked for  2 days then it stopped working again. Im just going to get a different motherboard i think. Way to many issues.
CPL0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPL0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:30pm
Understand.

Out of curiosity did you try F11 while BIOS was posting to see if there were some corruption as shown in the previous post when the missing NVMe occurred? Just wondering if it happens with a BIOS save settings op.
CPL0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPL0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 3:26pm
@ASRock_TSD, any progress with this BIOS boot corruption?

Can we expect a fix soon with P1.60?
CPL0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPL0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 6:52pm
So no response from @ASRock_TSD in 3 weeks and no BIOS update for the last 5 months, can I take it this issue is not going to be looked at, ever?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 11:29pm
I have a different ASRock X99 board, the X99 Extreme6/3.1.

I use two NVMe SSDs in that PC, two Intel 750s, and multiple SATA SSDs, including two Intel 730s in RAID 0.

I have never seen anything like the Boot Manager screen shown above, as well as never had a report of the X99 Taichi's UEFI/BIOS doing what was shown. Frankly, that is the first time I've ever seen anything like that with any ASRock mother board.

Either that was a UEFI/BIOS corruption, or something else is causing that to happen. I wonder what UEFI/BIOS update method was used. I have never had any problems with the SATA interfaces with my X99 board, or with the NVMe SSDs whatsoever.

Then I noticed in the screenshots, an OCZ Agility 3 SSD. I'm struggling to remember if it was the Agility 3, or another OCZ SSD, but at least one of the older OCZ SSDs was found to have issues when used with the newer Intel SATA interfaces. That information was posted on OCZ's website, but after their acquisition by Toshiba, that information was removed long ago.
CPL0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPL0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 12:03pm
Thanks for the input Parsec.

BIOS P1.40 is a backup BIOS and original with board, P1.50 was tried to see if it would help (both exhibit the problem).

Tried removing OCZ drives and when re-connecting Vertex 3 which is very similar to Agility 3 and I do see corruption so you may be on to something there. Normally I would find that hard to believe but given OCZ's past I'm not surprised so much. Will try to do some more testing later on.

Cheers.

Also FWIW the NVMe disappears from BIOS seemingly as a result of this corruption.

Edited by CPL0 - 12 Mar 2017 at 12:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic