ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 10 UEFI Boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 12:02pm
This is absolutely ridiculous on the part of Microsoft, if they cripple their own installation media from UEFI booting.

First, and FYI about the USB port being used. The Intel 100 and 200 series chipset boards will only have USB 3.0 ports on the IO panel. As long as you use one of the USB 3.0 port on the IO panel on these boards, you'll be fine with a USB flash drive as the installation media... as long as the USB flash drive is NOT one from Microsoft, apparently.

I've used Windows 10 ISO download files from Microsoft for as long as Windows 10 was available, and have never had a problem using it for a UEFI booting installation.

All I do is have a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive, no larger than 16GB in capacity. They are normally formatted that way from the manufacture.

Using the MSoft Media Installation Tool from this page:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I run it and follow the prompts, selecting Install on another PC, and save to an ISO file. I don't use the create USB option at the end of the process.

Once you have the ISO file, insert the USB flash drive, left click on the ISO folder, and select Mount. If you don't see all the ISO files displayed and highlighted, do that manually. Then left click in the highlighted area and select Send to, and select the USB flash drive. Takes a while but when complete, the USB flash drive will give you the "UEFI:" prefix in the boot order.

Did you try, with the MSoft USB flash drive, either setting the CSM option to Disabled, or setting the CSM sub-option, Launch Storage OpROM Policy to UEFI Only? Then restart into the UEFI/BIOS again, and check the boot order for the "UEFI:" entry for the USB flash drive. Or who knows, they may require you to set Secure Boot to enabled. You don't need to do that for a UEFI booting installation.

Do you have the Win 10 activation key written down anywhere in the package with the USB flash drive? If so, you could create your own installation flash drive, and use the key in the package. I buy Win 10 disks, use the ISO download, and just enter the key from the package.

I'm curious about the MSoft USB flash drive, why it won't cause a UEFI entry to appear. If you look at the folders on it, do you find an efi folder, with boot and microsoft\boot folders in it? Each of those folders should contain a .efi file, one with bootx64.efi, the other with cdboot.efi.

If those folders and files are there, which the fix above seems to indicate, then MSoft is screwing something up with these flash drives.

Alexium67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexium67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 7:52pm
Don't worry friend. Problem were solved. I tryed all options in UEFI|/BIOS: CSM, Fast Boot, UEFI only USB etc. That sick just not visible as UEFI boot variable. All folders were fine and files too. Simple copying (1 : 1) to another stick helped me. This another stick were 2.0 but has same folder and file structure as the original. But it booting fine as the UEFI menu item.

I fear it maybe small issue in ASRock USB 3.0 controller but... I haven't another MS USB 3.0 original stick for the test.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Alexium67 Alexium67 wrote:

Don't worry friend. Problem were solved. I tryed all options in UEFI|/BIOS: CSM, Fast Boot, UEFI only USB etc. That sick just not visible as UEFI boot variable. All folders were fine and files too. Simple copying (1 : 1) to another stick helped me. This another stick were 2.0 but has same folder and file structure as the original. But it booting fine as the UEFI menu item.

I fear it maybe small issue in ASRock USB 3.0 controller but... I haven't another MS USB 3.0 original stick for the test.

The only possible mistake that could be made I can think of, is if you were using the UEFI/BIOS UI, and only at that point the USB flash drive was connected to the PC. It normally takes a restart of the PC back into the UEFI/BIOS UI before the flash drive is visible in the boot order.

Questions for you, just out of curiosity:

What did the entry in the boot order of the MSoft USB flash drive look like? Was it, "AHCI: <flash drive name>"?

When you used the other USB flash drive, did you get two entries in the boot order for the flash drive?

I have both ASRock Z170 and Z270 boards, and like your B150M Pro4, they use the Intel USB 3.0 ports provided by the chipset, no extra USB 3.0 chips on our boards. So if there was an issue, it would be with the Intel USB 3.0 controller that every mother board manufacture uses with the Skylake and Kaby Lake chipset boards.

I use various Patriot 16GB USB 3.0 flash drives for Window 10 installations, and have never had that problem. Every Windows 10 installation I do is UEFI booting. You may have noticed that for Windows 10, there is no USB 3.0 driver provided for installation. The Microsoft "in box" USB 3.0 driver is used with Windows 10 only.

It would be ironic if MSoft's own USB 3.0 driver provided with Windows 10 had a problem with the USB flash drives they use with their Windows 10 USB flash drive installation product. I believe you that the issue happens, it is just very strange.

One thing that might be the cause is the formatting of the MSoft USB flash drive, but again it would be crazy if they were not formatted correctly by Microsoft. But stranger things have happened in the world of PC hardware.

I know that people that use Rufus to format and create a USB flash drive Windows installation media can have problems if they do not select the correct formatting options provided by Rufus.
Alexium67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexium67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 12:11am
No, no! I rebooted every time after changing settings.

Answers:

USB: KDI... bla-bla-bla.

Yes.  Even Three: one for MSoft drive (USB) and two for another (UEFI and USB)

I don't use Rufus for my own flash drive. Just Windows's GUI format tool. Work fine.

Anyway I can to test MSoft drive on the work PC with MSI board and USB 2.0 ports on the back. I tried it but not complete - used only unknown front port.

Unfortunately shop can't replace MSoft flash drive. Something with the rights.

For one experiment I need another USB 3.0 drive. I'll do it next week.

Edited by Alexium67 - 24 Feb 2017 at 12:14am
CPL0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPL0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 12:31am
USB: KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP

No option for UEFI boot, copied to other FAT32 flash drive and both legacy and UEFI options available.

A quick test on my MSI laptop with W8.1 and full GPT partitioning also shows only legacy boot option available from the Microsoft Windows10 USB 3.0 installation flash drive.

Google sku-kw9-00017 for product detail.

Edited by CPL0 - 24 Feb 2017 at 12:35am
kainatkhan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kainatkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:53am
Just download RUFUS to create a bootable media. After that you follow the steps provided here https://appuals.com/how-to-create-windows-10-bootable-usb-using-rufus/ to solve your problem. Hope it helps you out.
printerhelpcenter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote printerhelpcenter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 6:10pm
As of late, numerous clients have griped concerning the sibling printer disconnected issue as it goes detached naturally or after some idle time which ranges from 10 to 30 minutes. This issue makes inconvenience as clients are not ready to print pages because the Printer itself will be recorded as disconnected. Furthermore, when you coordinated to write at precisely that point, the reports will be added to the line. Brother printer offline problem was held because of many explanations which are referenced underneath. To realize the statement in regards to that, please guarantee you will peruse the post totally without getting away from any means.

https://printerhelpcenter.com/how-to-fix-canon-printer-error-b200/
https://printerhelpcenter.com/fix-brother-printer-offline-to-online/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic