ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ECC memory on AB350M

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chithanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

ECC support will be determined by the memory controller in the CPU.
That is unfortunately only one part of what is needed for ECC support.
  1. The memory controller inside the CPU needs to support ECC.
  2. The socket needs to have the necessary pins for ECC.
  3. The mobo manufacturer (in this case ASRock, which is why I am asking here) needs to route the ECC pins from the CPU socket to the memory socket.
  4. The BIOS needs to detect the presence of ECC memory and enable the ECC function.
With most AM3+ boards, #4 is what prevented proper ECC support (but workarounds existed).
With FM2+ boards, #2 already prevented ECC from happening (this time no workaround). But same CPU/APU in FP4 package supported ECC fine.

Do note that AM4 products based on Bristol Ridge are already launched and officially listed on AMD products website, so I don't see why #2-#4 should be covered by NDA. And this is all I am asking from ASRock.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 12:11am
Oh I do get it, I was just pointing out that if I can't get an official answer from ASRock on the matter then I doubt the sources you quoted earlier in the thread were accurate or in fact from ASRock Wink

I am still waiting on an answer to this question myself, when I get one I will post it here for all interested. Bristol Ridge is not Ryzen based so the information may not be relevant to Ryzen. I do find it difficult to believe Ryzen will not support ECC given it's target market but AMD may not have felt it was relevant... I guess with Ryzen out now we should see more information become available very soon. Day one reviews are up and Ryzen is performing right on par with what I expected to see. Yes there are some teething issues and kinks to work out and no doubt some software updates to accommodate new features but all in all, it looks very promising, especially for home workstation use.   
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 3:12am
Originally posted by chithanh chithanh wrote:

And this is all I am asking from ASRock.

If AMD themselves isn't giving anyone a straight answer yet what makes you think ASRock c/w/ould?

The memory manufacturers knew that well before today and I with my personal contacts at a couple couldn't get more that a giggle, <cough>Under NDA<cough> and a You'll have to wait and see.

We Moderators here, not being your avg User, have many friends/industry insiders to call upon yet a tight lipped ship is a tight lipped ship.

chithanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chithanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 7:34am
Today in the Reddit AMA, the question whether Ryzen supports ECC was answered by by AMD in the positive:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5x4hxu/comment/def6vs2

Also they were made aware of the confusing statements by mobo makers and promised to get consistent messaging out.

So now I'll just wait for someone from ASRock to officially state whether ECC memory installed on the AB350M will operate in ECC mode or in non-ECC mode.

Thanks wardog and Xaltar for the helpful replies.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 11:14am
Originally posted by chithanh chithanh wrote:

Today in the Reddit AMA, the question whether Ryzen supports ECC was answered by by AMD in the positive:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5x4hxu/comment/def6vs2

Also they were made aware of the confusing statements by mobo makers and promised to get consistent messaging out.

So now I'll just wait for someone from ASRock to officially state whether ECC memory installed on the AB350M will operate in ECC mode or in non-ECC mode.

Thanks wardog and Xaltar for the helpful replies.

Now that Ryzen has officially launched, ASRock, us, nor anyone else is now under NDA, please see the Memory section of the below AB350M Specs page: Wink (sorry chithanh, but I was under NDA)
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M/index.asp#Specification

- Dual Channel DDR4 Memory Technology
- 2 x DDR4 DIMM Slots
- AMD Ryzen series CPUs support DDR4 2667/2400/2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory*
- AMD 7th Gen A-Series APUs support DDR4 2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory*
- Max. capacity of system memory: 32GB**
- 15μ Gold Contact in DIMM Slots

Edited by wardog - 03 Mar 2017 at 11:15am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic