ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ECC memory on AB350M

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chithanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ECC memory on AB350M
    Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 6:14am
I have a question about ECC function on ASRock AB350M.
According to specs, it supports ECC memory:
Quote Supports DDR4 2667/2400/2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M/index.asp#Specification

If I install ECC memory, will it also operate in ECC mode? Or will ECC memory work only in non-ECC mode in this board?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 8:48am
The $1000 question is What processor is it you're considering placing on it?
chithanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chithanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 7:51pm
I don't understand the purpose behind the question.
Of course a socket AM4 CPU or APU.

Currently options are Bristol Ridge and Ryzen.
Later this year Ryzen Pro or Raven Ridge.

If the answer to my question depends on the CPU, then of course I would be also interested in learning which AM4 CPUs are ECC capable.

Edited by chithanh - 24 Feb 2017 at 7:53pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 12:19am
Originally posted by chithanh chithanh wrote:

If the answer to my question depends on the CPU, then of course I would be also interested in learning which AM4 CPUs are ECC capable.

It does.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 12:46am

Remember, the memory controller is now within the CPU itself. No support from the IMC concerning its ability to function using ecc means no.

And truthfully, I can't find a straight up answer to what AM4 chips do other than maybe the PRO line due out at a later date.

Reddit has an upcoming AMA with AMD concerning Ryzen and I plan to be there, questions in front of me.

chithanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chithanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 3:57am
Look, I'm aware that the IMC needs to support ECC.
Also the socket AM4 needs to have the necessary pins (FM1/FM2/+ did not).

I agree that the question which Ryzen models support ECC is one that needs to be directed at AMD. I asked, they refused to answer.

But the question whether ASRock AB350M supports ECC function (given an ECC capable CPU) is one that needs to be answered by ASRock and that is why I am asking here.

Edited by chithanh - 27 Feb 2017 at 3:57am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 5:52am

Look, I'm aware that the IMC needs to support ECC.
Also the socket AM4 needs to have the necessary pins (FM1/FM2/+ did not).

I agree that the question which Ryzen models support ECC is one that needs to be directed at AMD. I asked, they refused to answer.

But the question whether ASRock AB350M supports ECC function (given an ECC capable CPU) is one that needs to be answered by ASRock and that is why I am asking here.

Sorry!

Ask ASRock:
http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 7:05am
You will likely have to wait a while for a reply, being that functionality is determined by the CPU ASRock is likely still bound by AMD's NDA regarding support. 

Only a few days before Ryzen hits store shelves though so it won't be long now.
chithanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chithanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 11:25pm
Ok, so ASRock support staff seems to be not well informed and is spreading contradictory information themselves.

To one Reddit user, they wrote that ECC memory works, but only in non-ECC mode:
Originally posted by Someone from ASRock Someone from ASRock wrote:

Yes it does support ECC UDIMM (un-buffered) memory but operate in non-ECC mode
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5vsz90/ryzen_does_not_support_ecc_memory/de4qzj2/

To one Hardwareluxx (German tech website) forum user they wrote that ECC is fully supported:
Originally posted by Someone else from ASRock Someone else from ASRock wrote:

Das AM4 Design von ASRock bietet seitens Hardwarelayout und BIOS vollen ECC Support.

Translation: The AM4 design by ASRock offers full ECC support regarding hardware layout and BIOS.
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f11/wieder-mal-typisch-ryzen-kann-ecc-aber-aktuell-kein-mainboard-mit-ecc-support-1154800-3.html#post25343564

Edited by chithanh - 28 Feb 2017 at 11:26pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 12:24am
No one from ASRock posted in that forum, someone claimed ASRock had informed them that ECC would work. In all likelihood the information was misunderstood and/or misquoted. 

The products have not even hit the shelves yet and much of this information is still under NDA from AMD, ECC support will be determined by the memory controller in the CPU. I am sure things will be more clear and easily available once the products are actually available for purchase. 

Another point worth noting is that while I am a moderator here I do not work for or represent ASRock on these forums yet my words are frequently misused as proof that ASRock supports or does not support something. Just as many people assume that these forums and it's moderators are somehow part of Tech Support. While Tech Support posts here on occasion we are not them. ASRock_Official will be under the name of any ASRock employee officially posting in the forums here, and Admin Group obviously. My point is, anyone can claim to have spoken to ASRock or even claim to BE ASRock employed but unless it comes from a sanctioned source it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Contacting ASRock TSD directly using the support form or by email/phone or an official post here are the only ways to get this information from the horses mouth, so to speak.

The fact that ASRock_TSD has not replied this thread (and I know they have been online and seen it) tells me that the information is not officially available yet. Again, speculation but I get the feeling I am right.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic