ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Extreme6/Samsung EVO 960 SSD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 7:02pm
Looks like everyone on this forum has moved on to Z170 & Z270 MB stuff. Questions concerning "Old Iron" get no response!
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 9:46pm
Will the Z97 Extreme6 MB allow the SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe to run at rated speed (x4)? I have set the BIOS to use SATA3_4 and SATA3_5 for the drive. Anything else I need to do?

Getting a little smarter, I think. The "Force M.2" BIOS setting pertains to the "General" M.2 slot and has nothing to do with the Ultra M.2 slot? Therefore, since I'm installing a Samsung 960 in the Ultra Slot I can still use SATA_3_4 and SATA_3_5 for standard drives? Will the 960 installed in the Ultra Slot steal lanes to the cpu from the video card?

Is there a write up somewhere that explains what ASRock is doing on the Z97 Extreme6 MB to make all this happen?

I found a reasonably good write up on the Z97 Extreme MB and it explained what was going on with the Ultra port.

I now have the Samsung EVO 960 installed in the Ultra Slot and the benchmark programs all say it is very fast - although not as fast as several people have posted. I assume the old Z97 Extreme6/4790K is not quite as fast as the newer MB's and processors? Also, as expected the boot time improvement compared to the SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD is hardly noticeable - maybe 1 or 2 seconds faster at best.

One thing I don't understand is why the Samsung EVO 960 does not show up in the BIOS Advanced>Storage Configuration>M2_1 or M2_2 entries. The entries show "Not Detected" and yet the Hard Drive Boot Priorities shows the Samsung drive and allows it to boot W10 OK?

Edited by Ken429 - 04 Mar 2017 at 5:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic